British Airways A380’s parked

Rickoshea52

These kind of articles really do highlight the sensationalism the media love.

Every airline in the world is parking up fleets - BA is obviously no exception. It’s storage - at this stage, nothing more. What are airlines supposed to do? Keep flying empty planes? Most airports are out of parking space and therefore secondary fields such as these are needed.   

The economic sense is obvious - park them up whilst they are not needed and bring them back in to service when demand returns - which inevitably it will. I imagine next year will be the busiest ever in terms of people wanting to get away (providing finances allow of course) and the vast, vast majority of these parked aircraft will return to service. 

And implying these A380s will be scrapped is just click-bait - BA are one of the few airlines that make a good profit from operating such an aircraft and by all accounts are loving them. Whether or not some of the old, nearly time expired, 747-400s make it back to the fleet is another matter...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

These kind of articles really do highlight the sensationalism the media love.

This is an aviation industry news website so hardly MSM like the Sun or DM. 

52 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Every airline in the world is parking up fleets -

Absolutely, and this article is focussing on the BAW A380’s and to a lesser extent B747-400’s. 

53 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

And implying these A380s will be scrapped is just click-bait

That’s not a huge leap to make, why send them to storage at an aircraft scrapping site when there are plenty of other airfields that are capable of accommodating them. It’s an interesting piece of news (at least to me with a vested interest in the type and airline) so doesn’t count as click bait to me and my colleagues. I am sure, indeed sincerely hope that they don’t get scrapped, but they wouldn’t be the first A380’s to be cut up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickoshea52 said:

That’s not a huge leap to make, why send them to storage at an aircraft scrapping site when there are plenty of other airfields that are capable of accommodating them......

As I said above a number of UK airfields capable of accommodating them are full, look at Bournemouth, Glasgow, Norwich, Wales etc. so the options are limited.

I suspect what we'll see is an escalation for the retirement of the 747-436 fleet, but the A380's will be kept.

1 hour ago, Rickoshea52 said:

This is an aviation industry news website so hardly MSM like the Sun or DM. 

That’s not a huge leap to make, why send them to storage at an aircraft scrapping site when there are plenty of other airfields that are capable of accommodating them. It’s an interesting piece of news (at least to me with a vested interest in the type and airline) so doesn’t count as click bait to me and my colleagues. I am sure, indeed sincerely hope that they don’t get scrapped, but they wouldn’t be the first A380’s to be cut up. 

Didn’t mean to offend at all - apologies if I came across as belittling. 

However...

Agreed re. the article source, but even so it’s a little over-dramatic and implying it’s the end of the road for the A380 at BA which it very unlikely not!

On your second point above, it’s all about a field being able to handle the A380, as well having the facilities to keep it stored correctly. Clearly the French airfield has this. Other airports in the UK may be full, or either not capable of handling/storing the A380  - or the French offered a better contract term. It just so happens that the same airfield has been used for scrapping A380s - and the article has added two and two together and made five...