A BRACE OF ZEPHYRS

Bought these wee beauties a while back the performance one caught my eye but the standard zephyr is also quite a stunning bike, so I decided to build both at the start of March and progress has been okay, speeded up a bit last week as I am now working from home!!! 

first thing I noticed was the instructions for the performance bike turns out these are in Japanese so that really helped NOT!!! hence why I started both kits at the same time and progress each as I could, pictures attached of them as they went together still the final finish to complete.

kits were a little taxing this caused by no English and broken English but got there eventually no real night mares I broke a fork but the performance kit came with spares parts a lot of the them... the way the fork is slotted in to the yoke really weakens the for, at the star I ordered the russet red from mr hobby still waiting for it that was back at the start of March but no issues the way things are all over the world.. managed to get some from an Irish seller and used most of it trying to get the tank right but its turned out really good, this was the only paint not locally available using a reference chart managed to get the rest out of Tamiya, Humbrol and a couple of revels to boot.

stripped most of the chrome and repainted with allclad but I just find it rubs off any ideas on alternatives? even if I clear coat it the finish just dulls and looks awful.

both paint jobs have turned out really well very please with the finish on the green tank stunning (i think so) clear coat to apply and final assembly pictures to follow 

ok be kind or not 

keep safe and well 

simon 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMqwM5X

Edited by simontie
miseducating a bit
  • Like 1

Nice bikes, I had a test ride on a used 11 Zephyr a few years ago and was all up for buying it until I rode a ZRX1200r which I still have :) 

Ian :) 

Thanks never owned one, but road pillion on a Z1 for awhile lovely bike, been looking at the new Z900 its stunning too. The standard dark green looks the part. I’v been a big single type of guy mainly Yam xt’s had a few 125, 500, 600 660 & refurbing a 250 (1980) would love another 500 but there are like rocking horse dropping. And over priced 
simon 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, simontie said:

mainly Yam xt’s had a few 125, 500, 600 660 & refurbing a 250 (1980)

Glad to see you work in 1 to 1 scale as well, I'm refurbing my 1984 GPZ900r at present (as well as modelling and jobs SWMBO keeps finding me

Can't wait till lockdown is over to get back to work for a rest ;) 

Lockdowns working for me she still at work i”m just chilling 
loved the gpz too they were an icon, i  alway wanted a 1100 katana but could never afford one.. now i”m just older and not any wiser wh9 knows migh5ntreat myself after the restictions end 😀😀

stay safe 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 21:42, simontie said:

i  alway wanted a 1100 katana but could never afford one..

My brother in law has got a Katana, I always liked the look of them, but I rode it once and didn't like the riding position and the handling was really weird with the 19" front wheel compared to the quick steering 16" on my GPZ