Size no. bit for 1/48 rigging

rkp111

Greetings, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I need to order a few and don't really need a set just not sure what size bit for that small of a hole. 

Thanks

0.4mm or 0.5mm is what I use.

I use the 'drill a hole right thru the wing' method

0.4mm for single wires, 0,5mm for doubles.

I could go down to 0,3 or 0.25 but those drills are very delicate. The 0.4 is more robust. I've not broken a 0.4 in a long time

In the UK I buy them off an ebay seller and 10 drills cost me all of £1, including postage

• Like 2

A word of warning don't buy cheap tools. My bargain set of drill bits were just BLUNT. Think twice !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KITCAT said:

My bargain set of drill bits were just BLUNT

That makes two of us...……...I bought 3 cassettes of drills, some were broke and others blunt...…………..3 to.5 being the main culprits, but the bigger they got, the more blunt they became - and that's on plastic .6 to 1.6 lucky to find a sharp one...………….as mentioned earlier...….go for quality and not quantity...……if it sounds to good to be a true, it probably is.

15 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I could go down to 0,3 or 0.25 but those drills are very delicate. The 0.4 is more robust. I've not broken a 0.4 in a long time

In the UK I buy them off an ebay seller and 10 drills cost me all of £1, including postage

Wot 'e said. I'd prefer .3mm, especially when using non-elastic threads, but they break really easily. 0.4 still needs care, but the hole is small enough, and I break far fewer.  Whenever I run short I get a job lot in, piggybacked on whatever Hannants order I can get by SWMBO.

I've never had one last long enough to go blunt, and I rig around 5 x 1/72nd biplanes a month.

Reminds me, I have a set of 5 bits (too big for rigging) that get regularly used for other modelling tasks. They're the type that have much thicker shafts so you don't need to put them in a pin vice, and I haven't seen any for ages. Originally a set of 7, bought from some long departed mail order firm in 1974, 2 broke within a year, the rest are fine. And not blunt, either. If only teensey bits were like that ............................

Paul.

For UK readers.

I've been getting my drills from this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSS-DRILLS-PROFESSIONAL-HIGH-QUALITY-JOBBER-ROLLED-DRILL-BITS-LOWEST-PRICES/352966905605?hash=item522e778f05:m:m8Ny7oHmf2Fj6XFtCSrF3-w

I started getting the larger sizes, eg 3mm to 8mm, whilst restoring my 1930 Austin 7. Drills are good quality and sharp.

• Like 1

The reason they are blunt is that these drills are originally used by electronic companies to drill PCB's.  When they get too blunt to do this they get sold on  through the internet as being "still sharp enough to drill soft materials" thats why they are so cheap.

As stated above, go for quality not quantity.

Selwyn