30+ Years Late - Italeri TB-58A Hustler

This kit was completed over 30 years ago, sat on shelves then in a display cabinet, engines were knocked off while being dusted and the undercarriage broken, then on the shelf of shame for several years, just one step from the bin of recycling doom.  I was looking for something to do on Sunday and put her back together and cleaned her up and ... well, she's a 'keeper' and a place is reserved for her in the display cabinet again.

The Italeri 1/72nd B-58A Hustler was released in 1984 and the TB-58A training version was released two years later. The kit's major flaw is well documented but it looks like it is doing blistering mach 2 in afterburner while on the ground, possibly one of the sexiest aircraft ever made, and I love the finished build here. So, yes, over 30 years late but I had to wait for the internet to be invented and Mike to create Britmodeller so I could share her with you 😉

49743288672_7e23ed0275_b.jpgTB-58A One by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The aircraft is TB-58A serial 58-1007 and named 'Boomerang', she wears the markings of the 43rd Bomb Wing which was based at Carswell AFB, Texas, then Little Rock AFB in Arkansas. She was one of the four TB-58A Hustlers attached to the Wing and was used for converting pilots to fly the B-58A Hustler bomber. 'Boomerang' was scrapped in May 1977.

49742965501_045e79423a_b.jpgTB-58A Two by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I do remember painting the model. The main silver finish was applied using a small Humbrol aerosol spray can (11 silver). The burnt metallic on the rear wings and the engines was applied using one of the Humbrol metallic paints, I think 'polished silver' which I applied by brush and then buffed with a soft cloth. The underside of the delta wing was covered with metal foil, as were a couple of panels on the top wing. The decals were from the kit.

49742965541_d4f4be63f2_b.jpgTB-58A Three by Ghostbase, on Flickr

49742965526_fdbce8b008_b.jpgTB-58A Four by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The photo below shows the silver foil applied to the lower wing. Way back then I used foil from chocolate bars and applied it to panels using gloss varnish. It clearly worked!

49742965596_a112bdd261_b.jpgTB-58A Six by Ghostbase, on Flickr

This view of the top of the wing shows where I applied foil to accentuate a different metallic shade, the two triangular sections inboard of the leading engines.

49743288702_fc76a76c68_b.jpgTB-58A Five by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The B-58 Hustler was one of my favourite aircraft when I was a teenager, sadly I never saw one in flight as I lived on the wrong side of the 'pond', but I have seen several since preserved and even on the ground in a museum they are awesome looking aircraft.

Now she takes her rightful place in the display cabinet ❤️

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
Photo correction
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

That is a great recovery of a very impressive aircraft and a very smart model.  Well done bud.  Treat yourself to a metal pitot for the front to finish her off.

I have one half built and know what a challenge this kit is.

• Like 1

I didn't know Italeri even made a 1/72 TB-58A, so I got an education out of this. I too have read about the kits dimensional issues, but the only thing I've seen that stood out for me in all the builds I've seen is the nose in front of the windscreen seems a bit short. Otherwise the airplane looks good to me. Never built that one so I can't speak for buildability. Yours is a beautiful build! And, yes, it tempts me to get the kit and build it. I love the Hustler too.

• Like 1

She looks great! The kit has its issues and isn’t most friendly to build (speaking from experience). You’ve done a fine job on her and I’m impressed she looks so good after all these years. 
- Bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I didn't know Italeri even made a 1/72 TB-58A, so I got an education out of this. I too have read about the kits dimensional issues, but the only thing I've seen that stood out for me in all the builds I've seen is the nose in front of the windscreen seems a bit short. Otherwise the airplane looks good to me. Never built that one so I can't speak for buildability. Yours is a beautiful build! And, yes, it tempts me to get the kit and build it. I love the Hustler too.

Thanks, I seem to recall that I didn't really have any problems with buildability however I was pretty motivated to get her finished!

The TB-58A kit was only released once in the UK in 1986, as well as in the USA under the Testors label, unlike the B-58A which has been re-released a couple of times since. A shame, as the box art shows below this kit can be made up into the TB-58A 'prototype' (it was actually a conversion of one of the YB-58A Hustlers) which has a pretty cool paint scheme. I snagged this on eBay for £8 14 years ago!

Michael

49744910123_a30b5b03ee_b.jpgTB-58A Seven by Michael, on Flickr

• Like 2