This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

How's Your Modelling During the Lockdown?

Hopefully I’ll be getting back to it in a day or two; I’m just waiting for the parts for my chair upstairs at my computer desk and then the other chair can come back downstairs to my modelling desk. If the chair is there I can make an instant decision to do some or not.

the past few days I have been doing my spreadsheets and watching YouTube videos of aircraft including Kermit Weeks P-35 with Sikorsky visit. I watched a few videos of the guys taking it apart and re-skinning the wings, those guys are real craftsmen! It’s given me ideas to add to my model! 
Hopefully this will help get me in the mood to finish my other Helldiver (biplane).

There are other models I’d like to get to build my cabinet display collection and others to boost it!! I ain’t done yet.

Posted (edited)

Up until this weekend I hadn't been able to do any modelling.  Too much uncertainty in general causing stress/anxiety, and too much anxiety over getting supplies for modelling for one thing (for example IPA is almost non-existent in large quantities (1L or above) and horrendously expenisve)...

Hayfever isn't helping either, can't see straight until my antihistamines kick in and by then it's usually too late in the day...

Managed to sit down the other day and put down colour 2 of a 2 colour camo on a 1/72 aircraft, then yesterday I put down the topside decals.  Might actually get it finished this week if I can work around hayfever...

Edited by RobL

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Still have a 'Deuce from 32nd FIS (Soesterberg) on the wishlist.
Didn't the 57th on Keflavik use Deuces as well?

Yes

I know that the online retailers have been encouraged to continue where possible, and I know that I was in two minds as to whether it was ethical to order anything due to any risks to not only their staff, but to the delivery workers as well. In the end I decided to order some cleaning products as I am nearly out and any painting would soon come to a halt. Anyway, I ordered what I needed on April 1st. I've had two emails saying they're busier than normal whilst also working in difficult circumstances, so deliveries will be slower than normal. That is of course fine, but two weeks on I am starting to wonder whether or not something might have gone wrong. Part the problem is they say they don't have enough staff to reply to the many emails they're receiving. So I'm stuck waiting really. Has anyone else experienced a two week wait for anything?

Not two weeks but all the suppliers Are posting warnings about deliveries being delayed.

I'll give it till next week and then try and contact them. We did have Easter in that period and maybe demand is still very high with so many still housebound. What slightly worries me is the possibility of it being left on the doorstep and me not seeing it and it being half inched. I'm sure the dishonest have not changed their ways.

Just now, Filler said:

I'll give it till next week and then try and contact them. We did have Easter in that period and maybe demand is still very high with so many still housebound. What slightly worries me is the possibility of it being left on the doorstep and me not seeing it and it being half inched. I'm sure the dishonest have not changed their ways.

Too right! They're still out there!

I bought a couple of paints from an ebayer (they also have their own website), Couldson Models.   They actually called me to inform me they're busier than normal.  Package turned up about, or less than, a week later, but that was a couple of weeks ago, currently waiting on a couple of needle/nozzle sets that I ordered from another ebayer last week...

Personally I won't buy anything in times like this from anywhere other than ebay - you get far more protection than you do buying from people's websites.

Hope you get what you ordered @Filler

I'm sure I will @RobL. They did email all customers a few days after my order to say they hadn't expected 1000's of orders and that it would take time.

Just received an order from Ukraine posted on 27.3. No complaints there.

1 hour ago, Filler said:

I know that the online retailers have been encouraged to continue where possible, and I know that I was in two minds as to whether it was ethical to order anything due to any risks to not only their staff, but to the delivery workers as well. In the end I decided to order some cleaning products as I am nearly out and any painting would soon come to a halt. Anyway, I ordered what I needed on April 1st. I've had two emails saying they're busier than normal whilst also working in difficult circumstances, so deliveries will be slower than normal. That is of course fine, but two weeks on I am starting to wonder whether or not something might have gone wrong. Part the problem is they say they don't have enough staff to reply to the many emails they're receiving. So I'm stuck waiting really. Has anyone else experienced a two week wait for anything?

The online hobby retailers are experiencing major increases in demand - in one case I'm aware of, they are receiving the same number of orders per day as they would normally expect to receive per week. Add that to the need to ensure staff are operating safely and it is inevitable that there will be significant delays in orders reaching you. eModels for example are currently predicting anything up to a 30 day turn-around (I know because I placed an order with them over the weekend).

People are sitting at home otherwise twiddling their thumbs, time available to DO modelling (among other things), otherwise they would be out working or doing other things.

I did wonder at the ethics of ordering and having things delivered and saw that many have no choice but get out and work because they may be self employed and dont have the same business protection. The guys who deliver, id say more so, these guys in most cases are self employed sub contractors and HAVE to get out and earn to survive. The ones i've had have been fine, no risks, no signing required for deliveries, put on the doorstep (i have a BIG doorstep lol) and i'll get it from there. So i understand where many of these guys are coming from; we all have to survive in some way or other or the whole country would be at a complete standstill as happened in the strikes in the years after the last war; Thats not good. Its not gonna be the same once this has all died down, the country's finances will need alot of work, businesses are going to the wall, people are now unemployed, so its the delivery guys who are keeping us supplied, yes there may be a delay but what can you do but wait?

I tend to buy via eBay or a suppliers web page and secure pay with either Paypal or Apple pay; its secure and covered!

Basically all orders are unpredictable at the moment - I had Amazon deliver items last week which they said would not arrive til end of month. Add to that, if delivery is by Royal Mail, some sorting offices are either not functioning or operating with reduced staff

Cheers,

Colin

Crikey, it's great news that the various model retailers are doing so well. Long may it continue!

27 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

People are sitting at home otherwise twiddling their thumbs, time available to DO modelling (among other things), otherwise they would be out working or doing other things.

That is true, and as a furloughed person I certainly have time on my hands. However, to perhaps counter that reason for the massive increase in hobby supply shopping, whilst I need some air brush cleaner, I don't feel I have the longer term security to go spending wildly on kits, decals, resin and paints at the moment. You can't eat kits and the bank won't take them as mortgage repayments!

I have done very little over the past few weeks. I have been working (Nurse) but have received the letter telling me to stay home for 12 weeks due to a chronic health condition. 😢 

I have been working (maybe too strong a word) on a 1/35 Tamiya Chieftain mk5 since xmas. I'm really struggling with it and quite frankly I hate how it looks. It is my first scale armour ever and my first model since I was around 12. I have made tons of mistakes.

I also have some warhammer 40k bits to do. I have given a space marines predator tank a rusty undercoat, ready for a bit of chipped base colour...but I can't decide on a colour scheme.  Same problem that I've always had really. 

Although I am working from home almost all of my admin and technical support jobs are done or no longer cropping up, with a travel ban too all my field service work has also stopped so I thought I could get some modelling time in....not! I have two school age kids who I had to home school until the Easter break and then keep occupied at home. Me and the youngest did manage to finish the Airfix  Saturn V rocket last week but I have not had much bench time at all.

I did have a review of my shelf of doom models which I present to you all now -

C5BAB40A-161A-49FF-B586-5AF6C6F7C13C

C90CF451-EA2E-4A9E-B1A0-445FCAC03690

Of all of them the Sabre is closest to the finish line

FE254E34-6FF2-400C-A5CB-A6E3E05421C3

702A0289-7F87-4D4F-A1AD-A19F1CB9C841

I don’t usually do 1/35 scale vehicles of figures but I have a life long interest in the British Airborne Forces and had to have this kit but I’ve stalled on it for a while now.

5FECCF4B-D050-409F-84EC-7CF4F20D3453

This little tank has been picked up and put down again many times, I struggle with rubber band tracks  

499CDC95-EE8D-427F-B932-41DE7CAB90EA

Now this Nimrod is a classic case of biting off more than you can chew. This is intended to be built into a diorama of Aircraft Maintenance Flight at RAF Kinloss circa 1998-2003 with a Nimrod undergoing Minor servicing so lots of cutting, drilling filing and scratch building is required which was when I realised that my skills do not match my ambitions. This will be completed sometime but I don’t fancy building a load of staging and scaffolding for it, I pondered with the idea of doing half the model from nose to tail up against a mirrored background to create the illusion of a full aircraft in the hangar and to save on space....hmmm🤔

I also have a 1/72 Academy C-97 part built in the loft. 

On 11/04/2020 at 18:48, Nev said:

Well, I have 4 IKEA upright display cabinets, but they're all full and there is no room in the house for any more.  One solution is to build more models in flight so I can hang them from the shelf above, but there's no room for armour or cars.  I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and retire some older models to the box o'doom…..💀

Meant to say; you can get spare glass shelves for those tall cabinets! I bought a set for mine in Ikea and they posted them to me, you can also get the little shelf brackets that affix to the metal inner frame of the cabinet, i bought three glass shelves as a special order when i was in buying my larger cabinet, i already had the shelf fixings. I havent quite gotten around to fitting the extra shelves yet but i think they will be in in the not too distant future, as i build USAAF and US Navy aircraft models.

How's Your Modelling During the Lockdown? - Well mine is over for now  - I just got word that I have to report for duty on Monday morning - 'front & centre'...

2 weeks in agony with broken ribs - 1 week feeling slightly better - now it's back to work - do me a favour - tell the stash it is safe for now :lol: 

1 hour ago, Markh-75 said:

Meant to say; you can get spare glass shelves for those tall cabinets! I bought a set for mine in Ikea and they posted them to me, you can also get the little shelf brackets that affix to the metal inner frame of the cabinet, i bought three glass shelves as a special order when i was in buying my larger cabinet, i already had the shelf fixings. I havent quite gotten around to fitting the extra shelves yet but i think they will be in in the not too distant future, as i build USAAF and US Navy aircraft models.

Oooh, that's useful to know.  Thanks

Four weeks since lock down and three weeks since being furloughed and so far I have done absolutely no modelling what so ever. A combination of being in a bit of a weird state of mind (aren't we all?!) and the wife helping to find me things to do added to my ever present modelling procrastination has been the reason for this.

However, after a fair bit of mulling over what to tackle in the stash and checks to see which I actually gave the paints to finish, I'm about to go and sit at the desk and do something!! Well, as soon as I can put this iPad down and turn off the episode of The Saint that I'm half watching I will.

Well, after breaking my respirator at the weekend and not being able to find one anywhere (unsurprisingly!) someone suggested I try screwfix......and lo and behold one of the half dozen in my area had a single solitary respirator left in stock.  Collected it today, airbrush will be back in business :)

18 hours ago, Nev said:

Oooh, that's useful to know.  Thanks

Much easier to drill the holes for the fixings for the new shelves BEFORE you assemble the cabinet, if you can arrange it that way. Believe me!

Well, I actually seem to be making some real progress! Two kits are on the final lap, these being an Airfix Blenheim IV and an Arma Hurricane I. I took a couple of (terrible) pics with my old mobile phone:

93913291_3253634541315323_91359591874093

93933276_3253634594648651_17787187953475

I have most of the decals on now. The identity of the Hurricane is obvious, but the Blenheim will remain anonymous until I have finished it, as there's a story to go with it.

The decals for the Hurricane are from a variety of sources. I started off with the Xtradecal Battle Of Britain anniversary sheet, but had to make a few adjustments. Being a Gloster-built machine, I had to replace the roundels and fin flashes from another Xtradecal set, as the supplied ones were in the dull red and blue, despite the instruction sheet having the correct, bright colours. I applied the fin flashes late at night, selecting the wrong widths for the stripes. I should have chosen the flashes with the narrower blue and white stripes but it's done now, and I'm not going to allow any excuses to not finish it get in the way. I'm not happy with the style of the codes, being too narrow in stroke, but I don't have anything better and the only suitable set I can find is on a DK Decals sheet which is seventeen and a half quid, so that ain't happening! It'll have to do.

In case any of you are thinking "that's a funny shade of Sky" you'd be right- it's BS 381C No. 1 Sky Blue, my reasoning being that wreckage from an 85 Sqn Hurricane was found with this, or a very similar colour on the undersides. It's certainly possible that P2923 wore that colour and it makes for a more interesting lineup.

Cheers,

Mark.