This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

How's Your Modelling During the Lockdown?

One of the very few upsides to this horrible crisis is that a lot of folks are stuck at home, so may have a bit more time for modelling.  On the opposite side of that coin the NHS and essential workers who are working all the hours Bob sends may have less time, or less inclination due to fatigue and tiredness.   How are we all doing in the modelling world?  Are you doing more, less? Having fun, procrastinating or are just too busy hoarding toilet paper to do any? <_<

As a quick reminder, this sort of massive change and worry about becoming infected can affect your state of mind in a negative way, so if you find yourself snapping at people, having no energy for the things you normally enjoy, or just can't be bothered with anything anymore, you should seek help.  It might be a bit difficult to get to talk to anyone about depression (for example) right now given the need for social distancing, but you should try as phone help may be possible (I don't know).  No-one enjoys depression, whether it be the sufferer, their spouse or loved ones.

Following that PSA, what's going on? :)

Finished a 1/48 Wellington, working on a 1/48 Apache, maybe a Pe-2 next.

I’m supposed to be self-employed building models for folk. That means my income stream ought not be drastically affected by the current global unpleasantness. Fate, however, decreed I should also be given an awkward medical situation that, while not actually life-threatening, isn't making my overall mood a happy one. Ally that with an increasingly frail other half (just being elderly, sadly) and seeing a lot of our plans for the year evaporate before us, and it’s all being a bit wearisome.

So, my paying modelling has temporarily been shelved. I’m trying to bring a long aircraft build to as near completion as I can manage. Painting has begun on the FrankenDornier - yay! - but I can’t currently face masking for the splinter camo. I’m beginning to consider my next build, which will be something fairly small as I haven’t a lot of space left in the display cabinet.

Lurking here on BM helps to pass the time, and seeing the frankly amazing models being produced is a definite pick me up. When energy and mojo let me, I get back to the bench and do some more. Waiting, and hoping, that the pandemic will soon begin to subside so my world can expand out beyond this house again. I realised last night I haven’t actually seen beyond the corner of the street for over a week! I really ought to try going for a walk, before they stop us even doing that.

Anyway, trying to remain positive, and wishing all of you reading this drivel good luck and happy modelling. :pilot:

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

........... if you find yourself snapping at people

What's it got to do with you?  mind your own business!  Leave me alone! :jump_fire:

:rofl:

Aye up Mike.

I've been working from home these last 3 weeks and i'm actually doing more modelling now than for a long time. I thinks it's because i'm not having to pick mrs fatfingers up from work a 6pm 3 evenings a week which can eat into my modelling time on an evening. Bogging off down the shed also gives me a change of scenery and a bit of head space as the job is a bit more intense than usual at the minute.

Regards,

Steve

Everything is good here Mike, except that I am rapidly running out of modelling supplies.  My stock of plastic sheet has really diminished recently, however Richard E came to the rescue with spare saw blades that I needed last week. :worthy: 

Margaret has had me doing various chores in the garden, so I took advantage of that by erecting the portable spray booth greenhouse. :giggle:

spacer.png

Mike

With my typical habit of 'grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory' - I managed to break a couple of ribs on Saturday 21st March & have been almost 100% incapacitated ever since :doh:

I would love to be modelling - but I just can't - BUGGA!!!

Good luck to those that are getting stuff done - I am watching in awe & envy - STAY HOME / PROTECT THE NHS / RAID THE STASH 😷

31 minutes ago, BIG X said:

PROTECT THE NHS

Hear hear!! :clap2:

Mike

I consider myself quite fortunate.

In this current crisis I am still going into work but with reduced hours so its been grand seeing and having conversations with others. (Classed as an essential worker in the food industry)

As a singleton, but with a partner living in her own house, she thinks its wonderful that I can still go to work while sadly she is basically confined to the house with no visitors and only conversing with neighbours across the cul de sac.

As I said being single, I am already used to the single life at home and keeping myself occupied, that includes drawing plans, building small RAF type buildings, if you know my RAF Grimsby diorama then you know what I am talking about. Having joined the STGB for the Lancaster thats been going well and I find that I am getting that done perhaps at a better pace than usual.

The biggest disappointment of course,like most people, is not seeing other members of family, son & daughter and their children. I keep talking on the telephone and assure them that long term things will be better as we are reducing the chances of 'mis-adventure'.

Overall, despite the number of deaths being reported on the latest news, 5300+ in the UK, I am still up beat and happy within myself, I hope life finds you the same.

Take care and stay safe my fellow modellers

Ian

Hours cut in half, but I am the only IT person and 1 of 4 administrators for the company.  Also have to support our one employee who is essential to essential companies.  I can't hangout at the bar with my buds either (saving a ton of money though).  I know preaching to the choir.

So, yup, lots of modeling time being had.....

• Finished the P-51B and A-36A that were suppose to be for the STGB. 
  • My F6F-3 is almost done with painting (other than some fiddly bits and one not).  This might be my fastest build ever. Playing with lots of new airbrush techniques......just wish I had something smaller than .3mm.
  • The Hawker Typhoon which was suppose to be a piece that gets pulled out from time to time while something is drying on the main builds is almost ready for paint.  Not sure what scheme.  Little more fiddling around over the next few days or so and she'll be read for paint.

Even spent a little time in the wood shop...........probably should be spending more time in there.  Get some standing time for this jacked up back of mine.

Probably should figure out how to rig up the Stearman............been pushing that aside for months.

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

With my typical habit of 'grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory' - I managed to break a couple of ribs on Saturday 21st March & have been almost 100% incapacitated ever since :doh:

I would love to be modelling - but I just can't - BUGGA!!!

Good luck to those that are getting stuff done - I am watching in awe & envy - STAY HOME / PROTECT THE NHS / RAID THE STASH 😷

Get well soon!

cheers, Jan

Having been furloughed due to dodgy airbags, I'm going great guns at my two Navy GB entries. I've made so much progress (for me)

that I'm eyeing the stash and am tempted by an old Esci/Ertl B26C - IF I can find the relevent decals!

Mrs T is occupying the same room as where I model during the day as most of the patient consultations are being done remotely. She is not going into the care homes as obviously every resident is vulnerable in the extreme and they do not want anyone going in. The practice also has limited PPE. 

Currently I am not doing much more modelling than I normally would do as there are still jobs around the house to do, but I expect when these are done I will devote more time to building stuff, including things I do not normally build. 

Her indoors is working from home (Comms business) and has comandeered the dining room.

For the last week I've been out in the garden rebuilding the old summer house which hasn't been touched in about ten years.

So, new roof and replace lots of rotten wood in the structure. Very satisfying to see it coming together and the woodwork is now 95% complete. 

Next up, B & Q for roofing felt, Ordered and awaiting the email to collect it tomorrow.

Modelling wise, I did a lot in my first week off, and today I managed to get an hour in the mancave to do a bit of cutting and glueing.

As usual, I'm scratchbuilding which involves a lot of plotting and planning so I'm generally enjoying myself, thanks for asking.

I'm still working (NHS nurse) so not a lot has changed for me really. That said, I have done virtually nothing other than put the initial layer or mud/dirt on the lower parts of a 1/35 Tamiya Chieftain. I am so slow. I have a load of citadel minis to paint too. 

Actually,  I DID do something. I tested out the marmite chipping technique on an mdf ork building (an outhouse actually!).  Worked surprisingly well as a first test. 

I also spilled half a bottle of liquid superglue on my hand. That exothermic reaction is something else!  I used 98% acetone nail polish remover to remove it. 

I've been fortunate, I took early retirement a year ago then set up an online health and wellness business that doesnt require a lot of upkeep to manage. So that leaves me time to whittle down an excessive stash built up over many years. Added benefit keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.🙃Drawback though gives me plenty of time to plot how much I can stuff into a project.which in turn slows the whittling.

It's been hectic, with my fastest ever build being a tamiya 1:48th Beaufighter being built in 7 days.

I'm charging through a dornier D-335 currently.

My stash is now down by 50%.

Having picked up the symptoms of Covid-19 a few weeks ago, I haven't yet got back to full-time modelling. The effect it was having on my thought processes and the weird feelings I was getting meant that I wasn't in the right frame of mind to model at all. I started to get better though and having progressed through Betta Bilda and then some jigsaw puzzles I am now able to model again. However, I have been suffering shortness of breath for a fortnight now and so while I can model, I am loathe to fire up the airbrush even though I have masks to wear. The last thing I need right now is to start throwing paint particles around!

Dave

Modelling is going apace,

doing lots of baking, trying to improve my guitar playing and drawing. Only a

month into self-isolation but going ok so far. With any luck I’ll come out of this a fully rounded renaissance man

Probably eating and exercising better than I normally would as I’m more conscious of having to look after myself. A few nights pf disturbed sleep and I’ve had a wobble or two posting things off to relatives who I stand a good chance of never seeing again. 

btw I have to say that this site is proving to be one of the sanest (relative term) and nicest corners of the internet. Particularly appreciated right now

As soon as Mrs T recovers and I can stop being 👩‍⚕️ I hope to start a 1/32 Hobbyboss Black Widow kindly donated by a fellow Britmodeller who will remain nameless but he knows who he is. I have acquired all sorts of AM to tart it up and as discussed with said benefactor it’s going to be an early turretless green and grey machine from the ETA. Found one with black and white invasion stripes - named “Double Trouble”. Sounds like my two dogs. 

Actually started doing some model making for the first time in a while. Just finishing on some scratched detail parts for the seats of a Revell IDS before priming and then moving on to the rest of the cockpit. I dip in and out. I work from home and try to use the above to 'decompress' when things get too much during the day. But I still struggle with the 'Black Dog' on an all too frequent basis with the difficulties of managing and coming to terms with my recently diagnosed ASD and other matters. I'm starting to go into real 'bunker mentality' and expect to find myself communicating via morse code at some point. 

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

named “Double Trouble”. Sounds like my two dogs. 

Sounds more like you near a mirror :tease:

It's brought out the masochist in me - I've dragged out my Mach 2 Argosy, which has been built for more than twelve months but not detailed, and now it's well on the way to being finished. A few more aerials and other bits and bobs and it'll be ready for paint. It will be done as one of the IPEC fleet - with a rego like VH-IPA, how could I resist! I'll be using the Hawkeye sheet, which is miles better than what comes in the kit. After that I might get my second kit out of the warehouse and do it as one of SAFEAir's aircraft, using the Oldmodels sheet. When you're stuck by yourself, what can a poor boy do?

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

I'm starting to go into real 'bunker mentality' and expect to find myself communicating via morse code at some point. 

... - .- -.-- / ... .- ..-. . / .- -. -.. / .-- . .-.. .-..

(stay safe and well) :winkgrin:

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sounds more like you near a mirror :tease:

What? Little ole me?  Shirley knot 

The person who invented autocorrect should burn in hello