Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk Vb - Refugee from GB

This is coming along nicely!  I too started this kit about 2 weeks ago and have been pretty annoyed with over engineered cockpit tub and rubbish fit on the fuel tank cover.  Still, I persevere!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aka1878 said:

This is coming along nicely!  I too started this kit about 2 weeks ago and have been pretty annoyed with over engineered cockpit tub and rubbish fit on the fuel tank cover.  Still, I persevere!

Yep, annoying isn't it. For me the vague attachment of some cockpit parts like the rudder pedals is as disappointing as the overall fit. 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues to be slow, but I've made the effort to press on with the painting tonight. 

Boundaries between the camo colours will be done another time when I have more patience, as will the starboard wing! 

IMG_20200529_234915_299

Matt 

• Like 8

Some more progress. While there still obviously areas that need finishing, and other parts that need correcting (I'm leaving the wingtips for now for handing purposes), hopefully this gives an idea of where this is going. 

IMG_20200603_115012_892

IMG_20200603_115012_896

Matt 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Painting finally finished. Next up is a gloss coat and then I can start the decalling. 

IMG_20200611_171416

IMG_20200611_171456

IMG_20200611_171535

I'll have to do some minor corrections on the underside where the paint has lifted when the masking was removed. 

Matt 

• Like 11

Hi all, 

Think I'll have to admit defeat with this one. While not too far from the finish line, I'm not going to have time to complete it before the deadline so to avoid unnecessarily rushing, will sidestep from the GB and complete it separately. 

I've enjoyed it nonetheless and thanks for the interest during the build up to now. 

Matt 

• Sad 3

Thanks for the comments all. It's basically a case of real life getting in the way of modelling as it sometimes does, annoying but can't be helped! 

Maybe I'll ask for the thread to be moved to the aircraft WIP section so when I do have time to continue, I can share my progress there. 

Matt 

• Mike changed the title to Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk Vb - Refugee from GB
On 28/06/2020 at 08:53, matto21 said:

Maybe I'll ask for the thread to be moved to the aircraft WIP section so when I do have time to continue, I can share my progress there. 

You did and I have.  You also went about it correctly by Reporting it, so :yes:

• Thanks 1

Looking great so far, I have recently finished one of these and found it an enjoyable build, I had heard of the fit issue of the area in front of the windscreen but was lucky enough not to suffer any issues there , I left mine loose inside the fuselage and secured once that bit was dry.  The only issue was the light directly under the cockpit which had to be shaved, I was not worried about that though, you could spend a large amount of dosh on a kit and still have to correct so this in my humble opinion was good value kit.

I like your paint finish and scheme choice too, great work .

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Finally, after an age, I've made some progress and finished off the camo painting. Although I'd mostly completed this, there were some areas that needed tidying up which had slowed progress being made. I managed to fire up the airbrush yesterday and got this finished and a couple of coats of gloss applied too. 

Markings are a set by DK Decals and I have to say they are really nice and conform to the surface detail well, which is pleasing after I went to the effort of applying rivet detail. They also don't break up around raised detail, which is a real relief given they cost more than the kit! 

IMG_20200809_215018_407

By the way, the unpainted patch directly beneath the access hatch is intentional to make gluing easier. 

All the best 

Matt 

• Like 10

An empty house this weekend should have resulted in more progress, but good weather yesterday meant DIY and gardening had to take priority.

I managed to spend a bit of time at the bench last night and the majority of the decals are now applied. Can I just say again how good these DK Decals are...super thin and conform beautifully.

IMG_20200816_094438

IMG_20200816_094558

My only criticism is the cost and the limited number of roundels and tail flashes provided meaning to get proper value from the set, you'd need to buy more of these separately (or use kit provided ones of course!).

The other markings are those supplied by Airfix in the kit and to be honest, I'm not convinced. They look too heavy to my inexpert eye.

Matt

• Like 3

Hi all, 

Bit more progress tonight. Firstly, the decals are pretty much done apart from one or two small ones. I hope you'll agree that it's starting to look like a Spitfire now, especially with the prop and the, currently unpainted, spinner in place. 

Screenshot_20200817_224038

Regarding the spinner, I'm unsure whether to paint it black, as per the colour profile I'm using, or red as per the decal sheet (although admittedly the decal sheet represents this aircraft in all over dark sea grey). Thoughts? 

I was prepared for the potential problems caused by the strange stepped join between the sections of the undercarriage legs. So I cut them flush, and drilled and pinned them for, hopefully, a stronger join. 

Screenshot_20200817_224020

I'm leaving them off as long as I can, but dry fitting has at least proved the theory works. 

Thanks 

Matt 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After an absolute age I finally feel like I'm getting some modelling mojo back. Prior to Covid, I was pretty productive by my standards, but during and since, I've found it really difficult to get back to the bench in a meaningful way. 

Highlighting the panel lines and riveting seemed as good a place as any to start so I've begun applying a wash using Neutral Brown from Ammo. 

IMG_20201115_202351

I need to extend the black walkway line on the wings to meet the roundels but that can wait until another day! 

Thanks for looking! 

Matt 

• Like 4

Thanks Chris! 

Having applied the first round of panel line washes, I also made a start on the exhaust stain. 

IMG_20201117_233846_895

I'm also pleased to report that my method of attaching the undercarriage seems to have been a success! 

Note the spinner is still unpainted at this stage and the visible grey patch under the access door is intentional to allow me to attach it once I've painted it! 

Matt 

• Like 5

On 11/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this does look splendid in the photo, glad the U/C legs have worked, this will make it a lot more sturdy.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks again Chris. That the U/C legs fit after being "altered" was a big relief, I can tell you! 

• Like 1

We now have a red spinner and a painted cockpit access door. 

Screenshot_20201121_221953

The exhausts are in the process of being painted. Once they're done it only needs a flat coat and a few tweaks and it's done (famous last words) 

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

• Like 2