Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk Vb - Refugee from GB

Hi all, 

Had never taken part in a GB before the current Nordic one. Have really enjoyed the experience so with my build there now on the finishing straight, I was pleased to find another that I could potentially take part in. 

I have a choice of kits... 

IMG_20200406_151209

I'm erring towards the Airfix Mk Vb at the moment, but there's still time to change my mind! 

Matt 

• Like 3

A nice selection to choose from there Matt. Personally I’d go hit the mkviii. Look forward to following which ever one you choose. 

James

• Like 2

If you want a straightforward build then do the Tamiya Vb (I'm doing one as well except it's not the trop version) I have built the Airfix Vb  and there are fit issues with it. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matto21 said:

Had never taken part in a GB before the current Nordic one. Have really enjoyed the experience so with my build there now on the finishing straight, I was pleased to find another that I could potentially take part in. 

And just like that you're hooked, they can be quite fun and helpful.  

• Like 1

Hi all, 

I've made my choice and it's to be the Airfix Mk Vb. I've read various build threads and am aware of potential fit issues so I'm prepared for a fight!*

I've cleared and tidied the bench tonight. Here's the kit:

IMG_20200418_202242

I'm going to build it out of the box, the only extra will be canopy masks.

In terms of markings, I'm not sure yet but I doubt it'll be either of the supplied schemes. My preference is to build it with the larger air filter - I just prefer the look. 

Thanks 

Matt 

*if it all goes wrong, I'll revert to the Tamiya Spit! 

Edited by matto21
Spelling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, matto21 said:

I've read various build threads and am aware of potential fit issues so I'm prepared for a fight!*

the fit issues are basically carelessness, and a lack of awareness of how tight modern tooling tolerances are. (and lack of self awareness that the modeller not the model is too blame)    

Just make sure you check the fuel tank clearance before gluing the fuselage and cockpit tub in, and be extra vigilant about mould lines and sprre nibs, and paint in mating surfaces. The odd scrape to loosen up won't hurt.

I suggest you dry fit these major bits first, my tip for this kind of work is small strips of gaffa tape, more strength than masking or tamiya, and can be peeled on and off a fair few times and keeps it's stick,  handy for this kind of work.

The assemble cockpit bits, check not paint is fouling, and tank still clears and you should be fine.

the other is, pre drill the UC legs.  It's fiddly, I drilled into the lower retraction bits that go in the wing from above, (tricky as there is the half round leg bit) stuck leg on, drilled into that from below,  and then removed leg.  You can add the now pinned leg at the end. 

If you do the intail top down with a small bits, and then drill up with a bigger bit that helps.   I use a vernier caliper to find the dimension of my chosen bit of pin, but turned out that moulding pins are 1mm, and are stiff but easy to cut...

• Like 1

I’m just at the painting stage on mine. Whilst some areas have tight tolerances, some are quite the opposite with vague fitting points compounded by soft plastic and over complicated design. I ended up with big gaps at the wing roots. That said, it looks nice now that it’s all together. 

• Like 1

I'm with you on that @woody37 - been working on the cockpit tonight and fit of some parts has been vague to say the least. Also very over-engineered, especially around the seat and rudder pedals. 

IMG_20200418_232057

I didn't like the seat armour, much too thick, so I made my own. I also sanded the headrest part down to reduce the thickness. I also made my own belts - not totally accurate, but I really don't like the flatness of etched parts. 

IMG_20200418_232030

It'll look OK once painted and hidden in the cockpit. 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 7

Hi all, 

Continued slow progress. I finally finished off painting and weathering the cockpit elements. 

IMG_20200426_200715

And the rather nice IP... 

IMG_20200426_201014

The main focus of my time and effort however has been the upper cowling and the well documented poor fit. Try as I might (and I really tried), I could not get the correct part (D33) to fit well at all despite sanding, scraping and more sanding. When I tried the alternate part (B16), it fit much better and I surrendered. Life is too short to fight with parts that just won't fit! 

In these pics, only the nose section has been glued together, the rest of the fuselage is just taped. 

IMG_20200428_203812

IMG_20200428_203757

Although there is a clearly visible gap, I'm confident this will reduce once glued. I could not get the correct cowling to fit anywhere near this well. 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 7

Hmmm, you can imagine my disappointment/frustration at finding this moulding defect on the lower wing... 

IMG_20200429_163651

There's a corresponding ejector pin mark on the inner surface. Very annoying... 

Matt 

• Sad 4

Wing to fuselage fit is not the best, around a 1mm gap at the port wing root. This has been plugged with some plastic strip and the gaps filled with superglue. 

I went to bed last night frustrated with it but have woken and decided to just accept the less than perfect join. I lack the time and sanding finesse to improve it much more anyway. 

IMG_20200501_092553

Matt 

• Like 3

Hi all, 

I'm nearly ready to start painting. The cannons need a bit of work to blend them into the leading edges, but they actually fit reasonably well. I made the effort to drill out the ends which makes a difference. 

IMG_20200505_003546_570

I took this photo before adding the second cannon. I don't find the plastic that Airfix use particularly easy to sand, or maybe it's more to do with my technique (or lack of!). 

Matt 

• Like 2

Thanks for your interest Alex. 

Painting of the undersides in Azure Blue has commenced and should be completed tonight with a bit of luck. I'm using Vallejo Model Air for the first time and it's been an interesting experience so far. 

Matt 

Aaaand painted... 

IMG_20200506_165110

Still a few touch ups to do here and there. 

A quick question for those more knowledgeable than I - if I were contemplating the scheme below:

Screenshot_20200506_234654

Can anyone advise me what the roundel, code and serial number sizes are likely to be please? 

Matt 

• Like 5

The factory standard are

standard c1 type fuselage roundel - 36 inch, under wing 32 C type, upperwing 56 inch B type, fin flash is 24 inch wide, and this looks too high. 

Serial standard height is 8 inch.

see here, page 7, note the camo diagram etc.  but the whole thing is well worth saving.  

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire 

the code letter look to be 24 inch by eyeballing the roundel. 

BUT this is a profile.  My sig line exists for a good reason,  do not trust profiles.

OK, next

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p029.html

BR379 VcT 2867 HPA M46 FF 26-4-42 6MU 27-4-42 82MU 16-5-42 Hopetarn 26-5-42 Malta 249S 1-7-42 CB ops 14-7-42 Damaged by fighters and crashed in Qrendi 4-10-42 SOC 5-10-42

this is a Vc Trop.  your model is Vb.   They have different wings due to armament.   

see here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html

There are plenty of Vb trop schemes though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. I actually noticed, immediately after posting, that it was a Vc. At first glance, as the majority of the previous profiles were Vb's, I didn't look at the captions properly!

Useful information about the sizes etc so thank you, this is an area that always confuses me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The factory standard are

standard c1 type fuselage roundel - 36 inch, under wing 32 C type, upperwing 56 inch B type, fin flash is 24 inch wide, and this looks too high. 

Serial standard height is 8 inch.

see here, page 7, note the camo diagram etc.  but the whole thing is well worth saving.  

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire 

the code letter look to be 24 inch by eyeballing the roundel. 

BUT this is a profile.  My sig line exists for a good reason,  do not trust profiles.

OK, next

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p029.html

this is a Vc Trop.  your model is Vb.   They have different wings due to armament.   

see here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html

There are plenty of Vb trop schemes though.

On the same website 

https://www.markstyling.com/spitfiresmkv5.htm

Profile 47 (which is actually a Vb! Obviously can't read based on my initial choice!) 601Sqn TZ AB535. In your opinion are the code letters sea gray? Really difficult to tell. 

Matt 

2 hours ago, matto21 said:

Profile 47 (which is actually a Vb! Obviously can't read based on my initial choice!) 601Sqn TZ AB535. In your opinion are the code letters sea gray?

again

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p018.html

AB535 Vc 2614 EA M46Special FF 22-2-42 8MU 26-2-42 Cv VcT 23-3-42 Empire Cabot 28-8-42 Gibraltar 14-9-42 Malta 1-11-42 Middle East 1-9-43 FACE 6-2-44

To be honest, i don't like this chaps profiles,  they lack 'rigour' , by this, they are done in some graphics program,  and lack the attention to detail. Given the sheer amount of profile on the guys site,  this is to be expected. 

these are EXACTLY the kind of profiles my sig line refer too.

A good profile is one that shows the source image, or references it.

There is a book all about Malta Spitfire V's,   there is a review here with sample pages

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/malta-spitfire-vs-1942-their-colours-and-markings

If you just google Malta Spitfires you get loads of hits, 

this is from out own @tonyot  who has written a book on the early days of Malta air defence, and  has done a fair few Malta Spitfires himself

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013571-airfix-148-spitfire-vb-malta-dec-1942/

On 17/12/2016 at 17:46, tonyot said:

Nice job,....... have you painted your model in the desert colours from the kit as I doubt very much whether they were actually applied in this context with these markings? It was more likely to be wearing either an improvised (Dark Earth/ Grey Blue (EDSG)) OR official (faded) Temperate Sea Scheme.

Image result for ep641 spitfire

plus another squadron aircraft,.....the codes were either yellow or light blue;

Image result for ep641 spitfire

Cheers

Tony

another from the book

RgqQgCR.jpg?1

HTH?! 

• Like 4

Thank you for the very informative response. I get that these profiles are not the most accurate (the fact he has it as a Vb and the airhistory website as a Vc highlights this), I just like the scheme with the filter part painted in dark earth as opposed to other schemes I've seen. 

I'm not at the stage of painting the upper camo yet so I have time to think about it some more. 

Matt 

Great progress Matt, I can see you’re facing the same challenges I did. Love the paint job on the underside. It looks good when built up, but can’t help to think that this kit should be designed to fall together as it’s a typical ‘first kit’ that dad or grandparents my get for little Charlie. It could be the last too as it’s not easy to get together.

Thanks @woody37, definitely agree with your comments about ease of build.

Managed to get the underside finished and gloss coated last night so hopefully might get a chance to start the camo tonight...if I'm lucky! 

• Like 1