35th UK Cold War Accessories/Figures

4scourge7

Hi

I`m embarking on my first 35th scale builds in donkey`s and am finding it difficult sourcing accessories for Cold War Brits, late 1970s - early 1980s. I`ve got my Challengers and Chieftains, but I`m looking for AFV crew, infantry, stores etc.

Most of what I find on t`interweb seems to be geared towards Granby onwards; SA-80 and the like. Even the Falklands stuff is usually of Marines or SAS with M16. I`m aiming at the SLR, SMG side of things.

Is there 120mm ammo available for the L11, or ammo boxes? Is there 70s/80s infantry with SLR available? Where can I get accessories that fit this time period?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give :cheers:

Cheers, Ian

Italeri did a 'Modern Weapons Set' - at least it was 'modern' back in the 1980s when it was released (SLR/FN Rifles and Sterling SMGs).

They also did a Modern Support Weapons set that included a Milan ATGW

Tamiya's old British Stretcher Party set (also included in their Rover 7 Ambulance kit) contains no weapons but has some pouches and backpacks (not necessarily accurate) to go with the figures.

One of the Trumpeter Japanese armoured six-wheel armoured car kits (Type 87?) contains a figure sprue that includes a Carl Gustav.

Accurate Armour offer a range of rersin accessory sets including 120mm ammunition, small arms ammo boxes, packs and plastic 5 gallon water cans.

You can of course use British/German-style WWII Jerrycans (if you hide the stamped ID badges) - again, Italeri did a great set in the 1970s/80s and other manufacturers have been other sets released since. The more recent Tamiya accessory sets (Allied and German) have good 'cans in the them too.

Some of the many Dragon/DML weapons sets included SLRs, SMGs, GPMGs and LMGs.

Apart from the Accurate Armour stuff, pretty much all of the above is out of production but can be picked up from second hand kit dealers if you keep an eye open for them.

John

• Like 1

Try Historex agents they have packs of 5 SLR’s made by a company called “call sign” they don’t look too bad for early SLR rifles, they also do a set of Australian webbing Vietnam era that has 58 pattern ammo pouches. 

• Like 1

This is excellent to be going on with, thank you everyone.

Scaling-up from 72nd scale tanks to 35th scale doesn`t necessarily mean easier, but at least it`s more expensive. :whistle:

And did you know that the Tamiya Challenger has sixty-five individual camo net tie-downs?  SIXTY-FIVE!!…. my poor eyes... :drunk:

Thanks again! 👍

Ian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10btaff said:

Also try Castoff models, they do a lot of Uk stuff from the 70's and 80's etc 

Castoff are gone now , Terry shut up shop a few years ago I’m afraid. Shame as they were good stuff.

• Like 1

As noted above, The Italeri FAL/SLR are nice and that Modern Weapons set has the SMG too, as well as other useful stuff.  Dragon Modern Machine Gun Set has the L4 LMG and MAG/GPMG.  L42 sniper rifle could be converted from a WW2 Lee Enfield.  Black Dog have a Falklands-era set with frame bergens and SLRs.  Some of the Bergans have LAW strapped across the top and at leat one SLR has an optical sight.  The kit in the Tamiya stretcher bearers set is more 44 Pattern than 58. The water bottles in particular are too saggy.

The Dragon Desert Storm Desert Rats figure set might be adaptable.  3 of the figures seem to have 58 pattern webbing while one has an Arktis or similar chest rig.  They seem to be wearing NBC suits, and of course the helmets and weapons are wrong.  the 44 Pattern helmet is not easy to find but probably easy to convert if cammed-up.  The Dragon SAS set has heads wearing S6 respirators and hoods, but little else of Green Army use.

You might be able to do something with any of the WW2 Para figures as the Denison smock will pass for a DPM jacket, and indeed was still worn in Denison and later DPM pattern by paras and prized by non-paras.  37 Pattern yoke can be disguised with a bergan or 58 pack, 37 pattern front pouches can be moded to resemble 58 Pattern.  In the past I recall making 58 Pattern packs from modified 37 Pattern with added side pouches.  German rolled ponchos will pass as the Poncho carrier.  Kidney pouches are more of a problem.

Legend (and Live Resin?) do Charlie G of the right or convertible type.

• Like 1

Thank you all for those informative replies. And thank you for the king offer 10btaff. I`m more at the research stage at the moment and have plenty to digest from this thread.

Appreciate the time folks, thank you! :cheers:

Ian  

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 1:49 AM, Das Abteilung said:

37 Pattern yoke can be disguised with a bergan or 58 pack, 37 pattern front pouches can be moded to resemble 58 Pattern.  In the past I recall making 58 Pattern packs from modified 37 Pattern with added side pouches.  German rolled ponchos will pass as the Poncho carrier.  Kidney pouches are more of a problem.

Legend (and Live Resin?) do Charlie G of the right or convertible type.

You can use the 37 Pattern equipment if you want to depict TA soldiers; when I joined in 1969 we were still using it until replaced some considerable time later by 58 Pattern.  

Edited by 593jones