Nordic Connections, J26 blå Kalle, F4 Frösön, Swedish Air Force 1951 and others...

Andre B

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I do like you chose to mask rather than just use decals. It is bit harder to get right but does look so much better in the long run, well done.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes can be bit tricky (especially in 1:72) but then again, all kinds of thin stripe-y decals are usually annoying too to get where you want properly aligned and not breaking. And there is also that, painted usually looks better anyways.

Looks good @Andre B :)

• Thanks 1

I also ordered some numbers and letters a while ago. But it seems that it's hard to get decals from UK these days...

https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=81&PICFILE=81&STKNR=81&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=331959&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=5&SUB=7&VWW=1

Edited by Andre B
  • Sad 1

Hope the decals arrive soon Andre. In the meantime everything looks good so far. I'm guessing you've got the wings done as well?

• Like 1

Just now, Col. said:

Hope the decals arrive soon Andre. In the meantime everything looks good so far. I'm guessing you've got the wings done as well?

Hopefully the work with the wings will start tomorrow. There are some panellines that had to be filled and some wetsanding to do...

Cheers / André 

• Like 1

Some decalling done...

spacer.png

Those yellow/green chequered nose decals came from Barracuda Cals and it's the first time I used delas from that company. They worked well with MicroSol and responded better to the curved nose than expected. The green I used to the spinner was Tamiya TS-2 Green and TS-34 Camel Yellow. I have built several P-51D Mustang's but this is my first try building one with an chequered nose.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

what you've done looks fantastic!

what are the wing - fuselage joins like? I just hope they're great else you'll damage that wonderful finish!!!!!

Thanks Rich! :)

I would say that the wing/fuselage joins are wery fine on the Tamiya and Airfix 1/72 scale kits. I usually just "snap" the wings and fusleage in place i the last stages of the build (after painting and decalling). I found it out during dryfitting. So nowdays I aint much worried about it (fingers crossed ;) ). I think the main reason for the good fit is that the joint is straight and not curved or angled (as on Spitfire).

Airfix, S-26 Mustang with decals from Moose Republics).

spacer.png

Tamiya...

spacer.png

Airfix again. An ex Swedish J-26 sold to Israel.

spacer.png

...and again. Sunny VII, one of the most beutifull P-51D's in my opinion...

spacer.png

...and Airfix again. The Revell Mustang is old but the Revell decals fits rather well to an Airfix.

spacer.png

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

what are the wing - fuselage joins like? I just hope they're great else you'll damage that wonderful finish!!!!!

Yeah that seems like a bold move - but @Andre B it seems that you have experience with the kit so you know what you are doing :)

Looking good with the decals coming on.

• Like 1

Small steps...

Some decals on the Swedish J-26 Mustang...

spacer.png

I don't knew if Baracuda Calls took some artistic liberties concerning the red stripes just behind the yellow/gren chequered nose. I havn't seen any aircraft with those red stripes in the actual fightergroup. But it makes the chequered nose look better and hides some irregularities.

spacer.png

Some work done with the wings, filling some panellines and wetsanding. I also took care about the "rivets" on the Tamiya wing. The wing just "snapped in place" showing the nice fit between the fuselage and the wings. It also helps holding the fuselage...

spacer.png

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

gee that fit is amazing!!  When Tamiya gets it right they certainly do......which is most of the time!

That wee red cheat-line behind the checker band I think looks just right, it's very subtle and most wouldn't notice it, but it does work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/8/2020 at 12:50 AM, JosephLalor said:

Green and yellow checkers, that's the 55th.  44-14135?

Hi,

It is intended to be 44-72123, "The Millie G" from 343th Fighter Squadron...

Cheers / André 

• Thanks 1