Nordic Connections, J26 blå Kalle, F4 Frösön, Swedish Air Force 1951 and others...

Andre B

Hi!

So now I make another try to build an Mustang during an Group Build. I tried in the latest P-51 Mustang GB but the winter was long, cold and dark. Now when the light has returned I make an new effort to build an Mustang here at the Nordic GB. Some time ago I had an idea to build an Norwegian F-5B. But that Italeri kot was sold before I got it. But albeit a little late I make an try to join in with an J26 instead. And my plan is to use the well knewn 1/72 scale Airfix F-51D for this build. I knew I had it somewhere in my stash up at the attic and with some time spending searching I found it.

spacer.png

And I will use the nice J26 decals from Mose Republic...

http://www.mooserepublic.se/product/j-26-mustang-part-i/

So, lets se if we can build, paint and finish this Mustang? The plan is to build an Swedish J26 from Frösön 1951 with some nice orange exerzise markings.

I feel there is always place for another colourfull Mustang! ;)

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 7

welcome along André and what a great choice! :thumbsup:

It's nice to see a Mustang in a GB and a Swedish one fits the bill here perfectly.

Good luck with the build, it should be a nice one as the Airfix Mustang is a nice model from what I hear, and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, some work done during the weekend...

spacer.png

I had an Tamiya P-51D with Nordic connections in the Mustang GB. I take the liberty to continue that build here.

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Col. said:

A double-build? Excellent :D 

I almost not dare to say that it is two of a build of five Mustang's. But these two has Nordic connections... ;)

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B

I will follow along. Having grown up with F4 machines flying past above, they always get special interest from me. I wanted to try the same decal set, so I’m curious to see how they turn out.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

I will follow along,m. Having grown up with F4 jets flying past above, they always get special interest from me. I wanted to try the same decal set, so I’m curious to see how they turn out.

We will find out Torbjörn. Orange is the new black. Well a yellow tail is ok too. Wonder who first finds out which that aircraft is and who flew it?

Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf on the fuselages (over AS 12 now only seen at the exhaustplates), TS-12 Orange and TS-34 Camel Yellow.

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Col. said:

Are you working on all 5 at the moment Andre or only these two?

Well, it depends...

For most I work with those kits that satisfy me for the moment. But it also depends on availability of time, correct paints and decals, what stage during the build and for most "inspiration".

Building and painting is fun. Puttying, wetsanding and masking is not that fun. I like building when I got light so I can see and the sun is warm. In the dark winter I feel it's difficult to build and paint.

And as many builders here at BM I also got an big "stash" of unbuilt kits and "kits on work". I feel an kit gives most pleasure during work. When finished it looks nice but doesn't give that satisfaction as a when during building and painting. 

But I also feel that reading other builders experiences and looking at their kits during work is as much part of the hobby as my own builds. Again it's about inspiration.

So for the moment the main effort is about building these two Mustang's. But is there a thing I can do with easy with the other kits in the same time I try to do it.

I like the Tamiya and Airfix 1/72 scale P-51D kits because one usually gets nice results rather quick without any problems. Sometimes it's fun with an challenge as with an old Heller, Hasegawa or an new Forces of Valor P-51D kit. But now and then an easy and fast build is needed... ;)

Thanks for asking Col.! :)

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

Mmm...

Painted spinners, props an an red stripe. Well, maybe not so satisfied with the red stripe. Some paint crawled under the masking tape. Should have used Tamiya masking tape for curves. But, ok one maybe can say it ad's to make the aircraft look "used" a while...

spacer.png

Did a much better paintjob a year ago with Sunny VIII albeit a smaller red stripe...

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looks as if oyu've done a tidy enough job in the photo Andre :) 

Thanks Col.

I had som red decals as well that I could use. But chosed to try to paint the red stripe instead. Next tme I try the decals...

Cheers / André

2 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Yellow rudder, yellow spinner - waiting for a red band maybe? I'm guessing a 357th FG pilot.

Mmm...

Not a bad guess. But sorry, not this time... ;)

Cheers / André 

they look pretty good from the photo's. :thumbsup:

I do like you chose to mask rather than just use decals. It is bit harder to get right but does look so much better in the long run, well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1