Tamiya 1/6 Honda CB1100R Café Racer

So I bought this kit about 15 years ago and finally decided to do something with it. I have a WIP that has the build details about the original kit and some of the modified pieces including some 3D printed bodywork and air filters:

This is the first 1/6th scale bike I've built and after seeing a really nice stock build, I wanted to do something a bit custom. Here's the finished shots:

stoke_bike_dark_studio-2_1920x1080

stoke_bike_dark_studio-1_1920x1080

stoke_bike_dark_studio-3_1920x1080

stoke_bike_dark_studio-4_1920x1080

The Stoke logo is a brand I put on a lot of my personal projects. Paint is Tamiya XF-70 Dark Green II. I thought about going all the way with the Japanese paint livery, but in the end decided to tone it down. 

For the photography folks, these are 30 second exposures at F22, ISO100 in a completely dark room with me waving an LED light over top to control where the light goes. A bit of trial and error but it allowed me to keep the backgrounds very dark and light just the bike.

Thanks for looking.

Martin.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

As a motorcyclist I have to say this 'custom' incorporates all the current fads that I dont like!

However, as a modeller I have to say it is stunning, and you have nailed the photography. Well done.

• Thanks 1

What a great finish, excellent photographing skills too. I think this is something i need to work on. 

As i said at the end of your WIP, this inspires me to purchase and have a go at a bike build.

Congratulations.

Coops

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

That's a gorgeous bike, beautiful finish.  Of course, it helps that I'd love to have a 1:1 version of something like that tucked away in the garage (although I'd want at least a small windscreen or fairing to keep the wind off when travelling at speed).

• Thanks 1

Like Kiwidave4, I don't like a Honda (Ducati/Norton man) and I don't like the contemporary styling.  At least it doesn't have knobbly tyres! - BUT a beautiful model and fantastic photography.

I'd love to see some close up detail shots.

I've only ever made one 1/6th scale bike, the BMW R90S, an 18th birthday present in 1976!

• Thanks 1

Nice model well executed, and superbly photographed  like others though, not a fan of the contemporary styling, much prefer the classic lines of the original

The green colour has grown on me, when I first looked I wasn't sure, but in the satin finish it looks really good, I don't think gloss would have looked quite right

With the big open space under the seat now, where have you managed to slot the battery in?

Looking forward to more of your builds :) 

Ian

• Thanks 1

Superb build and excellent photography!

I really like the green; nice, deep, smooth. Adding the yellow gives it a classic racey look.

Back in the day I was into the socalled "streetfighters" (highly modified bikes) and this one reminds me a bit of those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great comments, although I see that bike styling is very subjective. 😀

17 hours ago, Redstaff said:

where have you managed to slot the battery in?

I would like to imagine a small lithium battery would tuck under the tail section.

16 hours ago, Ron NL-S said:

I was into the socalled "streetfighters" (highly modified bikes) and this one reminds me a bit of those.

I remember those bikes as well - right around the time I was doing the most of my riding. I would agree, I think this bike has some of the same proportions with such a large engine and everything else stripped back.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Unlike many others, I really like the style of this bike.

It reminds me of the old Café Racers around the late 60's early 70's when I was a teenager.

I always wanted a bike like this (and still do!). I can imagine putting it though it's paces on the Isle of Man. (I'd probably kill myself, but have fun trying!)

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1