The Other Tim's Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX ++FINISHED+++

Well I am back....after nearly 2 years away from the bench, given the current situation I have a bit more time on my hands....

Where did I go? Well its a bit of a story, a combination of things...my last GB was the Hawker Siddeley in June 2018 - I didn't complete my 2 x 1/32 hawks as I went off to Russia 18 world Cup with work. On my return and after some leave, my boss and Head of the team told me he was moving on to News UK, leaving me to step up as acting Head. My younger son, then playing grass roots football in goal was also asked to go to Ipswich Town for some training, ending up at the centre of excellence, playing on goal, a year up at U14. So a new busy job plus 3 nights at footie training plus games at the weekend left little time and I drifted away from the hobby....

I applied for the position and with luckily got the job...football continues at a pace, as does work, time away, family life etc ...then COVID 19 has struck us all....leaving e working from home rather than a 2hr each way commute to London, all football off until at least early July, strange work tempo...what to do? All the 'Man Jobs' quickly completed, including the garage where my work bench area was...... 

So here I am, I will need to remember and brush up on a lot of skills, check my kit, paints, filler etc....

Now the time has come!

I had this little 1/72 Spit in the stash, thought it worth being a bit of a mule to recover my skills on, I am normally a 1/48 or 1/32 builder, so will be a bit fiddly, but hopefully straightforward...

Standard pre build pics....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

UK or Swedish.....will have to choose....

• Like 13

Very good choice, one of my favourite variants. I've built this kit, quite nice but lacking in detail in some places iirc.

I decided randomly one morning I wanted a new Spitfire model, so into the stash I went and 12 hours flat later (with a cinema trip in between) I had a spitfire prxix (with an annoying seam I forgot to fix on the cowling).

f479b22cc91fbd7cc97d1e264c580592.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3

Got started on this yesterday and today, basic lil kit, forgot how fiddly 1/72 is!

Got the bits off the sprues, primed and interiors sprayed with Mr Paint. Pilot from my stash of Dam Buster x 2 crews that need to be finished!

UTzl20L.jpg

Prop primed in Mr paint white primer the Mr Colour yellow....

TyxYKJk.jpg

Masked off for some NATO black.

mDZaJr9.jpg

rPBXU56.jpg

Closing up the fuselage - will need a little bit of filler (if its not all dried out after 2 years!) and some sanding f those nemesis seams....

4nKPxe4.jpg

• Like 4

Paint on, MSG on next before some masking and PR Blue. Will try to marble a bit first ti give some tonal variation, even on this small scale..

un3QbxZ.jpg

6HTKT6k.jpg

UDlOk8c.jpg

• Like 2

Started with the MSG. A bit of mottling with a lightened version, to allow some variety in tones, crossing over panel lines as well as leaving them. I then use the spare of the PR Blue areas that I will do later in the process.

I then put an undiluted version in the cup and slowly built up the top cote. Seems ok.

Enjoying this a bit more now the airbrush is out, the SOTAR 20/20 and Iwata HP-C are great....also have a Neo CN for priming/clear coating etc.....The Mr Paint is second to none in my view - if you can use laquer based paint that is. 

Need to give it overnight then mask off for the PRU Blue.

ZAw2dpc.jpg

4hputjf.jpg

D64RHCi.jpg

wLU3VQt.jpg

87o2qWO.jpg

JX0UyFE.jpg

U22cV7D.jpg

zAVS2zL.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
wrong thread!
  • Like 5

Masked up the MSG areas

TDKJ7sY.jpg

4Powxxp.jpg

MSG Mottled earlier

zBEU4ui.jpg

PR Blue Mottle today

hu2MqxY.jpg

6ObnMIZ.jpg

zXfs37j.jpg

Top cote on

aNwZUaZ.jpg

416UEXW.jpg

QFYGPkp.jpg

Masking off

T8Hpe1I.jpg

shhkKxn.jpg

h647wn4.jpg

6yMKdn0.jpg

oOAKPPV.jpg

A cote of Mr Paint Gloss clear before the decals...

• Like 6

I wasn't so sure the PR Blue is dark enough, but decided to stick with it at this stage.

A bit of gloss and decals on, Mr Set and Sol assisted, they sit quite nicely.

next stage is to seal them in I suppose, then get the exhausts etc on, a matt cote (or should it stay glossy? The current warbirds seem shiny and there is a lack of Colour pics from the 50s....) a small bit of exhaust weathering etc then finish off...

I am normally a military jet kind of guy, but have a bit of a Spitfire bug now.....given the situation I may get myself a couple of 1/48 kits for the build given it goes on til July!

MHpHQpz.jpg

Yb5vUpc.jpg

9cZmO78.jpg

tocLYcV.jpg

• Like 5

That looks good, I like that scheme, it makes an attractive difference from WW2 & Swedish examples. I was wondering if your yellow prop tips were a bit on the large size, normally given as 4" but the colour diagram seems to agree with what you've done so what do I know. :( :D 

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That looks good, I like that scheme, it makes an attractive difference from WW2 & Swedish examples. I was wondering if your yellow prop tips were a bit on the large size, normally given as 4" but the colour diagram seems to agree with what you've done so what do I know. :( :D 

Steve.

You maybe right with the tips, I may mask em off a bit higher and re spray some black over....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was plonked on the bench as nearly finished whilst I built a couple of jets in the Navy build.

Now finished, will add some pics to the gallery.

Got a floreys wash on. Put a bit of raw umber/black oils around the exhaust area then pulled off the masking. I made the antenna using a bit of wire from a speaker cable, snipped to length using the 1/72 instructions, painted it metal/iron and superglued into place.

Added the bottom pitot and screw/props and called it finished....

Thanks for following!

oeWfPUp.jpg

6Nw6NPO.jpg

pMPUyT2.jpg

• Like 4

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim's Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX ++FINISHED+++