The Other Tim's Tarangus 1/48 SAAB A 32A Lansen

Tim Moff

Got the decals (or stickers as Mrs M calls them!) on, using the kit main decals and the Maestro set.

The main kit decals are fairly thick - I used the large roundels on the wings as suggested by the Maestro info. 1 was a bit damaged, I have repaired as best I can, but may need to try to wear and tear some areas to go with the faded paint...hopefully the matt cote will tone them down, maybe a bit of chipping effect using a piece of sponge and aluminium paint with a tiny brush.... 

A%2032%20Lansen%20F%2017%20Wing.jpg

Not sure if I will go as extreme as above though...!

Decals on. Need to get some more Micro SOL on or even Mr Mark Softer to get the roundels to settle into the panel lines. Then a protective gloss cote before a little bit of weathering.

I also need to finish off the pit, hopefully add 2 crew and stick on the last of the antennas etc. Should I leave the wing fences bare metal or match the above wing area with the main colours?

Also my mini thin holes look to be too far back when I look at some ref pics, but the instructions clearly show you to drill the hole where I have...too late now!

saab-32-lansen-77ae281f-8a86-4f9a-b5ca-7

z9tvyjo.jpg

IoTToMZ.jpg

v8eeWBT.jpg

3Ejm81r.jpg

o2ayQzK.jpg

• Like 5

It looks so tasty I could eat it.

Apparently that starting system with it's special fuel was very aggressive to the paint and stained the bottom fuselage enormously.

A_32_from_F_17,_1960.jpg

98-0.jpg

110-0.jpg

f6-a32a2.jpg

It looked the worst around the airbrakes.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Christer A said:

It looks so tasty I could eat it.

Apparently that starting system with it's special fuel was very aggressive to the paint and stained the bottom fuselage enormously.

A_32_from_F_17,_1960.jpg

98-0.jpg

110-0.jpg

f6-a32a2.jpg

It looked the worst around the airbrakes.

Thanks - thats really helpful...kind words !

Think I will throw on some of the dark dirt wash, some oils for the starter engine smoke on the bottom etc.

Will look at the airbrake area as well with some oils....

Have dome what I can with the decals, won't bed down much more. I have also decided to reposition the fins and filled the drilled holes with Mr Filler, sanded back, will re-prime then cover as best I can with 328M! I have also drilled the correct holes....

Lesson learnt - if not familiar with subjects, check references before following instructions!

zzpT3LQ.jpg

• Like 5

despite the troubles you've had with the build, the paint jobs just makes them all disappear! 

I really like the finish on the paint work, well done. :thumbsup:

Hopefully you can sort out these last few things in time.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's painful to go back and re-do things - but it's quite often the right thing to do. Better sort things out than let them bug you later on.

Looking mighty fine with the decals on - and your paintjob really stands out in a positive way.

• Like 1

Running into the final days of the GB, I have glossed over the decals, added some wear and tear, chipping (using some aluminium MR Paint as per the undersides via the  with a toothpick, fine brush), some oils around the air brake area and underneath where the starting engine caused a lot of staining as per Christers pics.....before that I put a Florey's Dark Dirt wash over the whole model.  

I have now used Mr Paint Matt clear, but it seemed a bit silky so used some dullcote. Not sure if I have overdone it? Well its my first one back so thought I'd practice on it. Should I add the 'foreplanes'? on the under neath either side of the nose wheel doors? They are not on the instructions, bur are seen on some pics?

Christer - is there any detail painting I have missed, I have looked at the limited references...the pilots kindly sent by @Col. have arrived - (many thanks!) so I need to get them sorted and in the pit before I put the canopy on and the rest of the antennas, pitot etc.

GwUEGxQ.jpg

JvyygBB.jpg

HWUQzp9.jpg

FBSVnvH.jpg

abX4IEc.jpg

cs0CTDs.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good Tim,

When I did my Lansen earlier in this GB I was told by the guys that the "fins" as you call them alongside the nose bay are in fact deflector plates for the spent cartridges from the cannon. They were not always fitted according to the Moose Republic Decal sheet instructions, and some had a shorter version, so as ever it is a case of finding a picture. They did also explain what the finlets you are repositioning were for but I have forgotten.  Later - checked my build thread and they are apparently some sort of antenna though they were also apparently very useful for hanging the crew's helmets on

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

she looks really nice Tim. :thumbsup:

I've found MRP's Flat Clear to be well not really Flat, as you say it's more silky or satin in finish. So I've started to use SMS's (a local company, prob not available OS) Flat Clear, it lacquer based like MRP, but gives you a super flat finish. Plus if you spray it a but heavy it's starts give the paint a whitish super faded look (don't think it's meant to, just me fiddling).

• Like 1

Worked my way down the finishing straight this week with the Lansen.

LFm6hYW.jpg

Canopy fit was a pain due to the way the fuselages went together....

KQbKPLn.jpg

But I got all the last antennas, pitots on etc as well...

lkmfhRE.jpg

neJ2oR3.jpg

0tSmi3p.jpg

HswkAXy.jpg

• Like 3

Well its off the bench now...a challenging way to come back into the hobby after nearly 2 years away.

Thanks for all the encouragement, advice and especially to @Christer A for the specific guidance with all things Lansen...not the best finish I have ever achieved, however I think I've managed to pull something out of what was an initial 'cagefight' of a build that I very nearly binned!

@Christer A - do you know what the Crest below the cockpit represents? I know the aircraft was based at F17, but can't find any pics of the crest to see what unit or city it is from?

Really enjoyable GB, thanks to the hosts and all involved...

DgVxKIH.jpg

ww6HPnd.jpg

Nfx3fnf.jpg

UvKsjWK.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

gosh for all the challenges you had building her, shoe looks awesome!!! :thumbsup:

That lower fuselage join gave you issue, but wow everything else about her is superb!

Even though she wasn't the easiest of builds I do hope you enjoyed the GB, it was a pleasure to have you back and I hope we'll see you in the Part II of this GB! :D

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Found this now as I was checking what others have done before, got an A32A during the week..

Great job mate! I was thinking about doing the same airframe, love that camo scheme..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Found this now as I was checking what others have done before, got an A32A during the week..

Great job mate! I was thinking about doing the same airframe, love that camo scheme..

Not the easiest of builds!

• Like 1

Yeah, i expect some filling and dry fitting.. ;) Built a couple of the 48th sclae Viggens so.. I´m used to Tarangus.. Your thread will be helpful though!

My dad grew up seeing those A32As from F 14 Wing, among others, going fast and low over the Kattegat so he might get a model, that´ll make him happy.. But then he saw our Hawker Hunters off F 9 Wing as well, flying around as he was in the Swedish Auxiliary Naval Corps. So I guess I have an excuse to build one of those too!

Anyways, your thread will be most helpful!

• Like 1