The Other Tim's Tarangus 1/48 SAAB A 32A Lansen

Tim Moff

Hehe, that translation is a bit iffy...it says blackgreen and dark green in Swedish, but changes to dark blue and dark green for English!

Perhaps a darkened 328M (dark olive drab from Draken, but with some black) with 326M would look nice?

The Forest scheme really is two dark green colors in any case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Hehe, that translation is a bit iffy...it says blackgreen and dark green in Swedish, but changes to dark blue and dark green for English!

Perhaps a darkened 328M (dark olive drab from Draken, but with some black) with 326M would look nice?

The Forest scheme really is two dark green colors in any case.

No probs - will add a touch of black to 328M  - will be v dark; and use 326M....looking forward to getting the paint down, waiting on the 326M.

• Like 1

Ok so the paint arrived and I got to it yesterday. 

I initially lightened one 326M from Mr Paint and created some mottle over the black base and then build up the top coat. I’ve been liberal in the area covered as I find the blu tac sausage cam method can sometimes create a miss match and some areas are not covered !

i was not totally happy with the effect - black basing with darker colours seems a bit more difficult so I got the white out and added a few drops, stirred and put a bit of post shading over some panels. With a thinned for the top coat I stopped. I’m trying to create that worn look. Once I get the darkened 328M on (which will likely bring similar challenges) I will look again at maybe some further post shading if needed.

it maybe the gloss cote and eventual Matt top cote will help.

B12zVLU.jpg

QTVHoQv.jpg

knx4T7A.jpg

vEK1UhZ.jpg

hZRNJDU.jpg

• Like 7

nice!! though that looks like my effort to do straight panel lines for pre-shading!  :blink:

totally off subject, you should try MRP's Super Flat Black, it's not really super flat, but it's the best paint in there range!!! It goes on like nothing else I've ever tried!

• Like 1

Busy Morning.

masking sausage using the 1 side Port as a guide, the blue/green version looked to be a mirror of the scheme so I used that for Stbd guide.

wings and tail planes have no guide so I used the other online build as a guide.

NqWBlVa.jpg

vcbIk4A.jpg

masking tape on

CTudru1.jpg

Mottle on using 328M lightened

PUGjmOl.jpg

d2LRPiM.jpg

328M darkened with NATO black as suggested by Christer. I built up the top coat, then lightened slightly for some post shade.

i then shot some wisps of pure 328M to try to get that worn and faded look.

tgaIoX3.jpg

uSDJiy3.jpg

GKhaIg0.jpg

• Like 4

Masking tape off the cam

SfuN4pX.jpg

YIGQxU2.jpg

F9lln0S.jpg

cxlWEXI.jpg

jiYJsJE.jpg

seems ok ? Colours about right Christer?

hopefully captured the faded look a bit.

as per Christer’s suggestion I taped off some panels and the fuel tank and sprayed some Mr Color Aluminium, then blended it back a bit as was really shiny using Mr Paint White Aluminium.

please do ignore the botch build job, I’ll fitting parts and seams.... ya know the story 🤣

8jDSbWh.jpg

UOZrSsr.jpg

NnAy6Fp.jpg

if the colours look right I will unmask the metal edges and nose etc... the nose was NATO black so is quite close to the 328M when darkened - so may need to repaint using a few dries of pure black with the NATO black.

then time to get a gloss coat on for decals.

Comments on the paint job/fading/colours appreciated before I clear coat!

thanks for looking.

• Like 6

From a purely asthetic point of view, taking into account I've no idea what the actual colours on hte real machine looked like, I think it looks great Tim.

Hopefully I'll get those figures in the post to you Monday.

• Like 1

Masking off, redone the nose cone and tail top with a darker black.

Gave it a couple of coats of Mr Paint Clear Gloss. Decals and exhaust next. 

Need to do the canopy frames and am awaiting some pilots all going well.

veEFntR.jpg

K4sYZt2.jpg

jtq7jDs.jpg

AfzdhKJ.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

the gloss coat came out nice and smooth. What size needle did you use?

Thanks - I use my first airbrush - an Iwata NEO CN for spraying my gloss/Matt costs now - it’s a 0,35 needle.

mr Paint Gloss - 1st time I’ve used it, came up nice.