The Other Tim's Tarangus 1/48 SAAB A 32A Lansen

Tim Moff

Well I am back....after nearly 2 years away from the bench, given the current situation I have a bit more time on my hands....

Where did I go? Well its a bit of a story, a combination of things...my last GB was the Hawker Siddeley in June 2018 - I didn't complete my 2 x 1/32 hawks as I went off to Russia 18 world Cup with work. On my return and after some leave, my boss and Head of the team told me he was moving on to News UK, leaving me to step up as acting Head. My younger son, then playing grass roots football in goal was also asked to go to Ipswich Town for some training, ending up at the centre of excellence, playing in goal, a year up at U14. So a new busy job plus 3 nights at footie training a week, plus games at the weekend left little time and I drifted away from the hobby....

I applied for the position and with luck I got the job...football continued at a pace, as does work, time away, family life etc ...then COVID 19 has struck us all....leaving me working from home rather than a 2hr each way commute to London, all football off until at least early July, strange work tempo...what to do? All the 'Man Jobs' quickly completed, including the garage where my work bench area was...... 

So here I am, I will need to remember and brush up on a lot of skills, check my kit, paints, filler etc....

Back in 2017 a good friend, Finn Isaksson, who was the Head of High Risk Projects at Swedish Radio, invited me for a coffee whilst in a meeting somewhere, asked what I did out of work...it became clear we both enjoyed modelling...I remarked I'd never done any Swedish aircraft...he had himself served in the Swedish Airforce.

A few weeks later the Lansen arrived in the post...I promised him I'd build it, but the rest is history as per above. Now the time has come!🤨

Standard pre build pics....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There should be in the post, will need to order the paint I think...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some would say its a lovely plane, others......

I thought I would some the J 32E ECM version to do something a  bit different...go easy on me, 1st model for 2 years! I plan to build a little 1/72 Spit I have as well as a bit of a Muler to practice my skills on!

I normally do in flight mode, but no pilots, so in a bit of a quandary....will think it through...

my bench tidied up a bit....no doubt will have a shopping list...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wish me luck!

Edited by Tim Moff
spelling!
  • Like 9

Welcome to the GB and back to modelling Tim :D Was wondering what had happened to you but sounds as life has been pretty much full-on. Not sure if I've any suitable 48th scale jet pilots to spare you but perhaps some of us can help there.

Remember to finish those Harriers as well ;) 

• Like 1

Yeah, now we're talking!

Just a heads up, you have the A32A kit, but want to do a J32E from it.

If you're picky about accuracy, then you'll notice that you have the wrong engine, too small intakes and wrong nose guns.

But if you don't care about that, then go ahead :)

• Like 2

welcome back Tim, gosh it has been ages since I've seen you in a GB, you've chosen a great GB to get back into it.

Nice choice for the build to, though she may require some effort. The Tarangus Viggen is pretty ordinary build wise and does take a bit of effort, but the results are good. 

Plus we have some great experts here that have been providing fantastic advice...you couldn't ask for better.

Well good luck, great to have you back....and remember it's just like riding a bike....though you won't scratch your knees when you fall off!

Plus you have some nice stuff hidden t the back of the bench....Canadian F-104 Tiger Meet, a couple of Harriers :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Christer A said:

Yeah, now we're talking!

Just a heads up, you have the A32A kit, but want to do a J32E from it.

If you're picky about accuracy, then you'll notice that you have the wrong engine, too small intakes and wrong nose guns.

But if you don't care about that, then go ahead :)

Thanks Christer - that,s a great spot, I should have done my research......I have now tried to order the maestro set for the A model...I am not a massive person for uber accuracy, but reading the info they were just about a completely different plane!

Will wait and see what the decals have of interest, 

spacer.png

If the blue/green version below is a A 32A I can go for that?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

gee there's a good range of choice of schemes! 

The Black & White (?) ones look different though not sure about moving the nose of one of them, so does the White tail one. Are those A models? 

I may have to end up getting one of these.....so will be very interested in this build.

• Like 1

Nice Decal-sheet!

The blue grey is the S32C photo-recon aircraft. You have actually 3 of them there, White 16 from F11, Red 2 from F21 and 37 From F11. Recon Lansen also looks a lot different...

S32C_F_11-03.jpg

No guns, but peculiar camera bulges around the nose...

The black and white ones are test machines, the one with the funny nose is actually a testbed for the Viggen radar, hence the bolt on Viggen nose!

But that striped green/dark green machine from F17 is an A32A! Funky paintscheme too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Nice Decal-sheet!

The blue grey is the S32C photo-recon aircraft. You have actually 3 of them there, White 16 from F11, Red 2 from F21 and 37 From F11. Recon Lansen also looks a lot different...

S32C_F_11-03.jpg

No guns, but peculiar camera bulges around the nose...

The black and white ones are test machines, the one with the funny nose is actually a testbed for the Viggen radar, hence the bolt on Viggen nose!

But that striped green/dark green machine from F17 is an A32A! Funky paintscheme too.

Cool

do you know what the Swedish colour ref for the paint ? Would it be 325 Olive green and 328 dark olive green ? Or is the 326 DG in there?

Im using Mr Paint 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 10:57 PM, trickyrich said:

welcome back Tim, gosh it has been ages since I've seen you in a GB, you've chosen a great GB to get back into it.

Nice choice for the build to, though she may require some effort. The Tarangus Viggen is pretty ordinary build wise and does take a bit of effort, but the results are good. 

Plus we have some great experts here that have been providing fantastic advice...you couldn't ask for better.

Well good luck, great to have you back....and remember it's just like riding a bike....though you won't scratch your knees when you fall off!

Plus you have some nice stuff hidden t the back of the bench....Canadian F-104 Tiger Meet, a couple of Harriers :D

I see what you mean about the kit - I can just tell its going to be a bit of a fight....the intake plates seem a bit weird as the instructions don't really help, will need to look at some ref pics, as its a short run kit theres no pins etc, lots of ejector pins to remove and sand, some flash etc.....could be a bit of a messy come back, but hey ho....

Taken most of the sprues, a lot of bad joins that need carefully removing and then sanding back on the actual part, I have prepped the undercarriage and this horror or reminds me of why I do inflight....any 1/48 pilots out there just laying in a box furloughed forever could be put back to work!

Will get the airbrushes out for a quick check and clean before practicing my spraying with some Mr Paint primer later....

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Cool

do you know what the Swedish colour ref for the paint ? Would it be 325 Olive green and 328 dark olive green ? Or is the 326 DG in there?

Im using Mr Paint 

I've found some small nuggets about the special paint used. This was a test in 1961 that led up to the Draken scheme of Dark blue and Dark Green (called Sea-scheme). Another scheme was also evaluated, called Forest. This used Dark Green and Black green and that is what you have on your decals set.

No numbers were created but the dark Green was later called 328 olive green. I guess that in combination with 326 might work? Or make 326 even darker...

• Like 1

it will be an interesting build for you, having built the Viggen I sort of know what you'll be in incounting!

Our good man Christer has all the good info! :thumbsup: I have him already on speed dial if and when I get and build one of these. He thinks I'll disappear once this GB is over.....little does he and his Nordic friends know! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Our good man Christer has all the good info! :thumbsup: I have him already on speed dial if and when I get and build one of these. He thinks I'll disappear once this GB is over.....little does he and his Nordic friends know! :D

Oh no, he won't disappear, I have the J21A, J 29 and J32 kits to make and I need all the info Christer can give us on these Nordic beauties 😜

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Awww, guys...you're making me blush all over.

you guys have been a great help to everyone.....even if it cost me modelling time and any chance of starting my Draken! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the airbrush out and primed with some Mr paint black primer and started on some cockpit, engine stuff etc.

spacer.png

vD0i5Yn.jpg

ikwO2yK.jpg

A bit of work to do with different greens, the instructions suggest a grey but all references indicate various greens...not going to do to much with the pit. I think I may need close up glasses since I was last brush painting....

Forgot how nicely the Mr Color metal paints brushed on.

Hopefully a bit more to share soon, with some glue involved!

• Like 3

I would consider myself of more a painter and decorator (airbrush and decals!) rather than into construction (building kits!) so struggling for enthusiasm with this one due to the rugged nature of a limited production kit, no pins, lots of chopping, carving and sanding etc!!

So this build is taking me some work, but managed to get the intakes, engine exhaust and pit in and the fuselage looks like it will mate up reasonably well!

sUsuCIt.jpg

1vxR5Dj.jpg

Will fight on!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Great work!

Add some tabs to the inner sides of the fuselage to help with alignment maybe?

good idea - have done this before - still some finishing off with the cockpit etc.

• Like 1

not saying its an exact copy or anything, but is it me, is there a resemblance of the Supermarine Swift in the SAAB Lansen?

48ce302af31c1f9ae5eedd501344837b.jpg

box_back_1024x1024.jpg?v=1498906528

• Like 1