Wingnut Wings Sopwith Triplane

Hi everybody, I recently joined after lurking and marvelling at the skills on show here for a few years. This is my introductory build. As you will no doubt soon see I am just a keen modeller who does his best. I'm eager to improve so all criticisms, advice and comments will be gratefully received. I've never completed even a biplane before, I have an incomplete Sopwith Camel on the shelf, so this may be a bit of a challenge.

I made a start with the interior framework, trying to mask it was a struggle so I resorted to watercolour pencils. Not perfect but good enough for me. All the woodwork has been treated to Tamiya dark yellow followed by burnt sienna, burnt umber and raw sienna oil paint.

49739028592_c277f4ec15_c.jpgWNW Triplane start by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The engine has been painted with lacquers; ,Tamiya flat aluminium, bright silver and Mr colour brass. I haven't added the ignition wires yet but will see how I feel about it tomorrow. i'm thinking stretched sprue rather than fishing line or EZline.

Thanks for reading.

Richie

• Like 9

Welcome Richie!

I'm sure there are many here who would be only to glad to help if you need any pointers. Feel free to ask! I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together. Too big for me, but I did do the old Revell one in 1:72 a while back and it's a great little aircraft to have in the collection.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcome Ian, I'll do my best to make it a decent job. I attempted the old Airfix 1/72 way back (1970?) but my 6 year old impatience and incompetence were found out very quickly. I seem to remember stamping on it and getting my toy soldiers out instead! 

• Like 1

Will follow this one with interest.

I have started this a few years ago as well, and thinking of reviving it. Just need to go downstairs, in that dark and dirty cellar, need to find the right box I stored it away some time ago, and then die in a huge cloud of dust. Ah, yes, and get the right turnbuckles, some other parts I don't know of yet, and in general, need do motivate myself. 

Maybe your build will act as this motivation and be the  kick into the delicate part I desperately need.

So, good luck Richie, we're here to watch and help with crude ideas and useless comments, the Waldorfs and Statlers of the modelling community...

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LOL, thanks CC. I hope the kick in the delicates isn't too severe! I have more on the shelf of doom than on display so maybe I need a good kick too. ;)

Be great to have you follow along, crude tips, daft comments and a bit of roasting are all welcome. Be great to see your build restarted too. 

Richie 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RichieW said:

LOL, thanks CC. I hope the kick in the delicates isn't too severe! I have more on the shelf of doom than on display so maybe I need a good kick too. ;)

Be great to have you follow along, crude tips, daft comments and a bit of roasting are all welcome. Be great to see your build restarted too. 

Richie 

Thanks, I still can sit quite comfortably, my lazyness needs a bit more than this until it really hurts, I'm afraid! 😉

I'm thinking of what to do next, maybe I'll reanimate the Tripe. Thing is, as this is 1/32 I plan to build it with turnbuckles, and I simply cant remember if i have some. Rule for my builds: in 1/48 no buckles, in 1/32 I do. So, we'll see. But I thought twice since this last post to go down, in those dark and gloomy dungeons of almost forgotten, but undead lurking kits...

How about a bit of motivation from you, by showing us a build of this that can't be beaten?! 

So, let's go, and spread beautiful Tripehounds all over this place... 

Edited by Chief Cohiba

8 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Thanks, I still can sit quite comfortably, my lazyness needs a bit more than this until it really hurts, I'm afraid! 😉

I'm thinking of what to do next, maybe I'll reanimate the Tripe. Thing is, as this is 1/32 I plan to build it with turnbuckles, and I simply cant remember if i have some. Rule for my builds: in 1/48 no buckles, in 1/32 I do. So, we'll see. But I thought twice since this last post to go down, in those dark and gloomy dungeons of almost forgotten, but undead lurking kits...

How about a bit of motivation from you, by showing us a build of this that can't be beaten?! 

So, let's go, and spread beautiful Tripehounds all over this place... 

That's the gold standard of us all, isn't it? 😉

(To be honest almost all of my kits have some minor parts missing, and I consider them finished, so you're in good company. Well, at least you're in my company... 😄)

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 1

Spent a pleasant afternoon in the man cave, in between looking for bits dropped on floor and cups of tea I added the ignition wires using copper wire (a tip I picked up elsewhere) and got the instrument panel done. The dials are all at strange angles but to the naked eye, mine at least, they look ok.

CC, your company is much appreciated! :)

49743057946_c65eda0eca_c.jpg20200406_174909 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

• Like 9

Thanks Kev, really appreciated. I need to get to grips with rigging the internal structures today. The framework looks like I might be able to drill holes and add eyelets but I may resort to EZ line. Plenty of time on my hands to contemplate!

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

Smer I think :( we are talking sows ears here compared to your Uber kit :) 

I will follow along with interest. There's a great triplane walkaround on the vintage aviator website with lots of detail shots that might help.

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

Smer I think :( we are talking sows ears here compared to your Uber kit :) 

Wasn't that a basic rebox of an older Eduard kit, just without the PE?

So, doesn't sound too bad. Honestly, this is what I like for a nice, relaxing build - doesn't have to be a year long journey with super detailling to the last rivet. Those uber kits are so time consuming, my Swordfish in 1/32 took me five years, and now I don't even have the space to display it properly. 

No, 1/48 is fine for WWI. 🙂

Not got much done here, for some reason I added the control wires and even attempted to fake turnbuckles with PVA glue,not very successfully! Quite likely none of this will be visible in the end but at least I killed time whilst in lockdown and enjoyed doing it.

It all looked quite precise to the naked eye but a close look at the photos tells a different story.

49757197902_d01aafa1b2_c.jpg20200410_144514 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Happy Easter everybody, thanks for looking in.

All tips, hints, roastings gratefully accepted. 

Richie

• Like 3

Thanks Dennis, the Sopwith Tripe has always been a big favourite of mine. The replica in the Shuttleworth collection is my all time favourite aircraft. Shame I can't pay a visit whilst in lock down!

2 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Richie, this looks extremely fine and you know that. 😉

(Afraid for sure way better than what I have produced way back than.)

LOL, Thanks CC! I'm actually really chuffed with how it's going, I'll never make that perfect model (does anybody?) and anyone approaching someone's hard work with a magnified should be clamped in irons and pelted with rotten fruit! :)