WW2 RAAF photo collection

72modeler

Good morning pandemic people!

While doing my usual Sunday morning routine of drinking coffee and surfing the internet for modeling  tidbits, I found this website. A very nice brief history of the RAAF in WW2, with narrative as well as period photos, colorized photos, and restored aircraft. Many are new to me, and I hope to you, also. A shame that poor Beaufighter met such an inglorious fate! (Wonder what happened to her? Makes you want to cry, doesn't it, @tonyot?)

self-quarantined in San Antonio,

Mike

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/a-brief-history-of-the-royal-australian-air-force-world-war-two-1939-to-1945/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Good morning pandemic people!

While doing my usual Sunday morning routine of drinking coffee and surfing the internet for modeling  tidbits, I found this website. A very nice brief hikstory of tghe RAAF in WW2, with narrative as well as period photos, colorized photos, and restored aircraft. Many are new to me, and I hope to you, also. A shame that poor Beaufighter met such an inglorious fate! (Wonder what happened to her? Makes you want to cry, doesn't it, @tonyot?)

self-quarantined in San Antonio,

Mike

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/a-brief-history-of-the-royal-australian-air-force-world-war-two-1939-to-1945/

A very good site Mike with some good photos,.........I`m just building a couple of Aussie Kittyhawks at the moment! The Beau was restored I believe?

I think you are correct Tony - I believe the restored Beaufighter at the Museum in Moorabbin here is that aircraft.

I'd post a photo but I'm not good at that......

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

I think you are correct Tony - I believe the restored Beaufighter at the Museum in Moorabbin here is that aircraft.

I'd post a photo but I'm not good at that......

If so, I'm glad that she was saved- sure would have been strikingto look at  in  the silver dope with the yellow bands! She wasn't used as a target tug, was she?

Mike

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 12:33 AM, 72modeler said:

A shame that poor Beaufighter met such an inglorious fate! (Wonder what happened to her? Makes you want to cry, doesn't it, @tonyot?)

Hi. Here is the Moorabbin Beau :)  This was the one rescued from the children's playground in the article. Beaufort restoration in he foreground.  Great museum to potter about in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2