Bristol Beaufighter MK II, 789 Sqn, FAA, South Africa. 1945

Here's one of my entries for the 'In the Navy' GB still ongoing just now.

The conversion from the new tool Airfix kit was a breeze, the Alleycat parts fitting superbly, even for a hamfisted numpty like myself! I've ordered another to do a MkII NF which I have markings for.

The Airfix kit even has the early teardrop canopy to use for this build, signs of a MkI or MkVI on the way maybe?

The decals were from High Planes and worked smoothly using the 'wetting on with the Johnsons Klear' technique described variously on this forum.

I do very little weathering to my models, to worried to overdo it!

Questions and comments welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0127 DSC_0126 DSC_0128 DSC_0130 DSC_0131

• Like 43

Thanks guys, it was a straightforward build.

53 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Superb job on the build and conversion Davey,Never new the Beaufighter had a Navy connection!

For the life of me I can't seem to find any info on FAA Beau's, I don't know where High Planes got their info from. There is one photo I managed to find a photo of FAA Beaufighter MkII's at Malta, 1944.  If you look along the line of aircraft there's even one with the different demarcation of the colours on the engine nacelles, like my subject.

Davey.

Beaufighter_Mk_II_FAA_Gibraltar._January

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that's Gibraltar, rather than Malta.  I believe you'll find the evidence for the South African ones in Ron Belling's beautiful work of paintings of SAAF aircraft.

My mistake Graham, the location is Gibraltar as the caption with the image pointed out!🙄

Davey.

An excellent job on one of my favourite aeroplanes, the Beaufighter! Good to hear the conversion set works well as I have one wending its way to me.

Regards,

Jason

If that is what a " ham fisted numpty"  (your description) can achieve then i'll join the club. Lovely model, looks new straigh off the production line.