Desert storm - desert pink.

Dans80

Afternoon all. 

Does anyone have any idea what colour is closest to the desert pink paint used on the C-130's in desert storm?  

I'll be honest , I always looked at it like it was a sand colour, but it would appear not. :). 

The paint used on the Tornado GR1 and Jaguars was a temporary finish, removed by an Alkaline solution (ARTF) and according to this chap, Ted Angus, who was Warrant Officer for the Ground Equipment Flight at Leuchars at the time , was matched to Federal Standard (FS 595b)  FS30279.  

The Pink ARTF finish had been arrived at following Trials at Kingsfield airfield in Cyprus in the late 1980's.

As there was only two Pink Hercules (operating from the UAE on SF missions) I have been unable to find any pictures of the Hercules in this scheme, apart from a Corgi Die-Cast model. I would be interested to see any you may have!

HU250 as recommended by Jabba does look to be pretty close to FS30279.

Desert Pink

• Like 1

I had the Humbrol and another, either Xtracolour or Precision Paints, but found both too intense for the aircraft I'd actually seen or the photographic evidence.  Not unusual with model paints, of course.  So I would recommend adding slightly more than just a dash of white.  Try it and see.

• Like 1

Floquil did FS30279 in their Military Models enamel series. I have a bottle and it matches the FS595 chip very well. Probably almost impossible to find, though. Modelmaster also did FS 30279- I know they did it as an enamel, but not sure if they also did it in acrylic. Depending upon which type of paint you prefer, you might be able to find a bottle. I'm sure Gunze Sangyo probably also did the color in their acrylic range, but their paints are hard to find. 

Mike

MRP do a good desert pink, MRP-185, I used it on my 1/72 Revell Tornado over a black undercoat.

Shameless plug -

62036452-2357730607836600-29280659508612

Edited by RobL
  • Like 3

Humbrol DP is a strange animal. It looks pink when applied, but it change to a more brown shade after a few months on the model.

This ESCI Jaguar was part made man years ago, then completed some time later, if you can zoom in on the nose, you will see the nosecone, canopy frame and belly tank are a different shade to the rest of the airframe. Both painted from the same tin at different times, the details being the most recent.

(not my best kit, but hey)

resized_b84acfd4-9588-4dd0-a346-1ab77076

Would definitely be interested to see how this turns out! 

I'm just starting on the 1991 Gulf War Jag GR.1 (Italeri 1/72 kit) - after much research am going to give Mr Hobby H313 Yellow a go, as an alternative to the Humbrol Enamels I had seen suggested (which I am afraid of!) But I would love to follow it up with a 'pink' Tornado from that era at some point!

I made an Airfix Jaguar and Italeri Tornado in ARTF pink using  Humbrol 250 around 1992.

From looking at pictures available back then, and widely available now, the real airfames very quickly ended up patched up and repainted, so a uniform paint coat would only be appropriate at the start of the deployments to the Middle East. 

A lot of the photos taken of RAF aircraft in desert pink were taken in theatre, in very harsh, bleached lighting conditions. Those taken back in the UK afterwards -and those I can remember from that year's airshows- do look rather more like Humbrol 250.

• Like 1