DH.103 Sea Hornet Mk.20 || Special Hobby 1/72

Hi all.

I'm new to this community and this is only my second thread, the first being on the intros section, but thought I'd jump straight in with a completed build.

I was half way through this when I joined up and the build was being documented elsewehere and I thought I'd post here for your amusement and / or pleasure.

Details

Overalls

Outdoors

Hope you like it. If I can get to grips with this photo hosting I'll see if I can't share a build or two.

Edited by Christopter
  • Like 26

A terrific looking Sea Hornet.  Your model brings out the sleek lines of the type beautifully.  To think we might actually see a real one flying agian in the not too distant future.

I'm curious to know your exprience of building this kit.  The reason I ask is becuase I built the F.1 boxing a few years ago without any issues I can remember other than that the canopy didn't fit well.  More recently I built the NF.21 but had a devil of a job putting it together.  I think that the probelem was that thr NF.21 release included a lot of resin bits which the F.1 didn't and that they were what caused the fit issues.  Any probs with the F.20?

Edited by Meatbox8
correcting a typo
  • Thanks 1

Wow! What a reception! Thanks to all who have commented and left a like, it means a lot to me!

19 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific looking Sea Hornet.  Your model brings out the sleek lines of the type beautifully.  To think we might actually see a real one flying agian in the not too distant future.

I'm curious to know your exprience of building this kit.  The reason I ask is becuase I built the F.1 boxing a few years ago without any issues I can remember other than that the canopy didn't fit well.  More recently I built the NF.21 but had a devil of a job putting it together.  I think that the probelem was that thr NF.21 release included a lot of resin bits which the F.1 didn't and that they were what caused the fit issues.  Any probs with the F.20?

The kit was good for a short run, but it did have some pain points, as you would expect! This kit had a number of resin parts, including a full cockpit, and a meager amount of PE. The resin is soft and easy to worth with but like most resin is quite brittle so care is necessary.

These are the things to look out for:

> Resin cockpit - does not fit inside fuselage. Test fit prior to painting!

> Wings - dihedral angle wrong. 

> Canopy - does not fit at all.

Other than that, the parts fit well and do not require the usual volume of filler and hours of sanding. 

• Thanks 1