Tamiya 1/35 Achilles

Tamiyas super 1/35 Achilles, been finished for a week or two now hopefully find the wip here: 

Pretty much oob except for an aftermarket aerial set and the stowage which is an assortment of spare bits etc I've collected. 

With this current situation I seem to have lost the old mojo, at least busy with work for now, work alone and outside with very little human interaction (Paints a really appealing sociable picture of self doesn't it!). 

Any-how got around to taking a "few" pics of the finished article,  indoors and out. Not sure why but some of the indoor ones appear to have a slight purple hue to some areas for some reason,  I assume it's down to the lighting. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here it is along side its Normandy 44 companions. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apologies for the number of pics, couldn't decided.....

Must get around to doing a RFI for the Firefly, think it needs a figure first though.

Thanks for looking and good luck and best wishes to all.

Darryl 

• Like 37

Excellent work Darryl. The ground work grass looks very effective. For some reason it gives the impression of it being training in the UK in the months leading up to D Day and the war in Europe.

The outdoor photos have come out great. Funnily enough I've just come in from taking some outdoor photos of my completed Bf 110, conclusion there is wait till this afternoon when the sun is round that side of the house. 😁

Roger. 

• Like 1

That is a very impressive Achilles! Superbly weathered and the base sets it all off beautifully. It goes really well with your Cromwell and Sherman! Very well done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Top work from you Darryl,the pics outside brings the model to life,Now you have time you may want to do those painting jobs inside the home 😁,will be in the good books with the wife,and I think they made some movies about being home alone.

Cheers ,Keep Well.

Jim

Excellent work, with a keen eye on details like the shovel for instance. Great composition, I keep seeing these beautiful vignettes here on britmodeller. It's mentioned before but the grass, it looks like the wind is blowing through it.

Cheers,

Ernst

On 05/04/2020 at 10:27, Roger Newsome said:

Excellent work Darryl. The ground work grass looks very effective. For some reason it gives the impression of it being training in the UK in the months leading up to D Day and the war in Europe.

The outdoor photos have come out great. Funnily enough I've just come in from taking some outdoor photos of my completed Bf 110, conclusion there is wait till this afternoon when the sun is round that side of the house. 😁

Roger. 

Thanks Roger, do think the natural light of outdoor photography really works well.

Afraid I'm very much behind on my BM at present, however I'll try and catch up with your 110 asap.

On 05/04/2020 at 12:46, PlaStix said:

That is a very impressive Achilles! Superbly weathered and the base sets it all off beautifully. It goes really well with your Cromwell and Sherman! Very well done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, very kind of you to say so.

Glad I had a crack at this base lark, it really adds something to the finished kit. Quiet enjoying the late war Brit armour and plenty of scope to add to it.

On 05/04/2020 at 13:04, Bullbasket said:

Nice work with the Achilles Darryl. It came out really well.

John.

Thanks John, much appreciated. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

On 05/04/2020 at 16:24, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl 

That came out great. Really liking the base and also like the pics of three tanks together. Well done sir! 

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, good of you to take the time to comment. Perhaps it's a bit OCD but I quite like creating a "matching set",  plenty of scope to add to it too...

On 05/04/2020 at 20:08, DAG058 said:

Great work!

Thanks

On 06/04/2020 at 19:34, Buzby061 said:

Nice job & a good looking trio.

Got the Achilles on my Must Add To Stash list.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I can recommend the Tamiya kit if your interested.  

On 06/04/2020 at 20:49, Andy_847 said:

Hi Darryl,

Super job, really like the basing too, the tall grass looks epic. How was that created by the way? 

Andy

Thanks Andy, good of you to take the time to comment.  The grass is from a firm called Treemendus, comes as an A4 size mat that I cut up to suit then trimmed for height and painted,  (it comes in a yellow/brown colour).

Glad you liked it, if you want any further info feel free to ask.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Top work from you Darryl,the pics outside brings the model to life,Now you have time you may want to do those painting jobs inside the home 😁,will be in the good books with the wife,and I think they made some movies about being home alone.

Cheers ,Keep Well.

Jim

Hi Jim, good to hear from you, hope you're keeping safe and well.

Don't worry I've not been idle, at the expense of the modelling bench the garden has never been better kept, even contemplating painting the window frames next!

Take care.

7 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Ooh that’s really lovely 

cheers Rich 

Thanks Rich!

5 hours ago, Ernst said:

Excellent work, with a keen eye on details like the shovel for instance. Great composition, I keep seeing these beautiful vignettes here on britmodeller. It's mentioned before but the grass, it looks like the wind is blowing through it.

Cheers,

Ernst

Thanks Ernst, glad you, like it. I'd recommend having a go at a base (imo) it really enhances a model and they can be really simple and inexpensive to do.

Must admit the wind blown look was a bit of a fluke!

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That’s very smart & nicely posed!

Thanks!

Cheers chaps

Darryl 

• Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 11:26, FrancisGL said:

I really like how it has turned out, together with his two companions, for Jerry to get ready !! ... lol.
Its base is also small but effective, very good work in general.

Cheers Darryl :goodjob:

Hi Francis, thanks, I think even a small base can set a model off and give it a little context.

Lots of work to do to yet to get something I'm happy with but it's all part if the learning process.

Thanks and stay safe.

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It looks excellent!! If I wasn’t traumatised by my current Archer build (which may take some time to recover from, even once I actually finish it), I’d be moving my Achilles up the queue a good bit.

• Thanks 1

That’s a lovely build of an afv I’m not really familiar with but it’s got a beast of a gun! Weathering looks great, the figures are well posed, stowage just right and as others have said the base really sets it off.  I’m curious on the tactics for employing these tank destroyers in the field and still not convinced on the wisdom of open top turrets - not much protection from air bursts let alone the rain!

• Thanks 1

On 07/08/2020 at 16:45, PhilHendry said:

It looks excellent!! If I wasn’t traumatised by my current Archer build (which may take some time to recover from, even once I actually finish it), I’d be moving my Achilles up the queue a good bit.

On 09/08/2020 at 22:20, APA said:

Really nice Darryl weathering is spot on. The figures work well with it to, very natural. 👌👍

A

10 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

That’s a lovely build of an afv I’m not really familiar with but it’s got a beast of a gun! Weathering looks great, the figures are well posed, stowage just right and as others have said the base really sets it off.  I’m curious on the tactics for employing these tank destroyers in the field and still not convinced on the wisdom of open top turrets - not much protection from air bursts let alone the rain!

9 hours ago, TheOxley said:

Really nice work! 

May have to dig the 1/35 or 1/48 out of the stash.

Dave

Thanks chaps,  it's a Tamiya kit, hard really to go wrong, even the figures are quite good

and I'm hopeless with them, but persevering....

Tamiya do provide some of the stowage, that on the turret, the rest was stuff I had knocking about.

The beast of a gun was the 17 pounder as found on the Firefly. As for the reasoning behind an open turret.....sun tan? 😉 Perhaps the open turret allowed greater visibility for the crew and reduced weight as I think the idea behind them was to employ hit and run / ambush tactics, not to sit and slog it out. I dont think it had the armour to withstand that sort of use so speed and maneuverability was it best defence.  Perhaps as the artillery operated the anti tank guns they preferred the open top,  like the Archer and treated them as self propelled guns, I'm sure someone on the site will have the answer.

The crew had a tarpaulin that could go over the turret attached to the stands which are folded flat on the model to protect them from rain, and an angry German throwing small stones.

Thanks again

Darryl 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The beast of a gun was the 17 pounder as found on the Firefly. As for the reasoning behind an open turret.....sun tan? 😉 Perhaps the open turret allowed greater visibility for the crew and reduced weight as I think the idea behind them was to employ hit and run / ambush tactics, not to sit and slog it out. I dont think it had the armour to withstand that sort of use so speed and maneuverability was it best defence.  Perhaps as the artillery operated the anti tank guns they preferred the open top,  like the Archer and treated them as self propelled guns, I'm sure someone on the site will have the answer.

Nice to see one of these built up. I love the ground work.

The 17pdr was too big and heavy for towed AT units to haul about on its own and gave less tactical flexibility. So they wanted it self-propelled. They chose to use the US M10 as it was available and could easily accommodate the gun, and the open turret was less of a problem when lurking in a defensive fire position. It wasn't really designed to zip about, unlike American tank destroyer doctrine which was more offensive. So I believe.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IanC said:

The 17pdr was too big and heavy for towed AT units to haul about on its own and gave less tactical flexibility. So they wanted it self-propelled. They chose to use the US M10 as it was available and could easily accommodate the gun, and the open turret was less of a problem when lurking in a defensive fire position. It wasn't really designed to zip about, unlike American tank destroyer doctrine which was more offensive. So I believe.

I knew someone would have a sensible answer!

Cheers

Darryl