Hurricane Mk I - Arma Hobby - Inspired by a painting!

It looks like the basic camouflage is a variant of the upper profile here but the rudder comes from one painted as per the lower profile. There appears to be repainting of the fin, perhaps from the same damage that required a new rudder?

I am reasonably convinced  by the Red spinner and Azure Blue undersurface of the painting but it's more likely the lighter colour of the photo is Middle Stone and the darker colour Dark Earth. Were they still using 'reversed' colours when this plane was painted?

49782894467_2c8296c237_h.jpg

That's another one for my panel of consultants - @Troy Smith, @Graham Boak and @tonyot...........!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked out the colour scheme the first overall coat of Dark Earth was done and then masking for Middle Stone, using paper templates and Blue-tack.

49824693372_4bc71723f3_h.jpg

Edit - That's a Revell Hurricane in the background for a two seater project. It's okay but nowhere as good as the Arma one.

Colour scheme discussion

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071758-hurricane-desert-camouflage/

I think the consensus is Dark Earth / Middle Stone / Azure Blue which is the prescribed scheme for the time. There are other possibilities but the balance of probabilities indicates this one.

• Like 4

So we have continued to paint............ and now we are up to decals. They are all from the spares box as this was an 'overtrees' version kit. They are mainly from Hurricane kits but the code is from a Modeldecal sheet. Looking at the photo the S is invisible but I am prepared to give the artists a pass on this as Goldberg would have recorded codes somewhere in his log book. The S was obviously small enough to hide behind the bulky Army figure in the picture. 

49857047247_28b8b9ca75_b.jpg

49857047172_0af06d33e5_b.jpg

I used the Airone masks on the fabric surfaces. I was a bit over-cautious in that I did not want dark 'windows' as described on their tutorial. The result is very faint but discernible in real life if not on photos. I will try a close up.

I need to add some of the stencils from the Revell kit and make a serial.

The Arma kit is very nice. I am building a Revell one at the same time. While the Revell one is not bad, this is so much better.

• Like 3

On 27/04/2020 at 23:06, Ed Russell said:

Having worked out the colour scheme the first overall coat of Dark Earth was done and then masking for Middle Stone, using paper templates and Blue-tack.

49824693372_4bc71723f3_h.jpg

Edit - That's a Revell Hurricane in the background for a two seater project. It's okay but nowhere as good as the Arma one.

Colour scheme discussion

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071758-hurricane-desert-camouflage/

I think the consensus is Dark Earth / Middle Stone / Azure Blue which is the prescribed scheme for the time. There are other possibilities but the balance of probabilities indicates this one.

Nice work! Least on the revell hurricane you get rid of the terrible upper fuselage that is completely inaccurate. 

55 minutes ago, Wince said:

on the Revell hurricane you get rid of the terrible upper fuselage that is completely inaccurate. 

Yes indeed I have done that - it's the main reason the build id so slow. Also the second cockpit took a little bit of effort. I haven't posted any pics of the Revell one yet - i can only cope with one thread at a time!

But justfor interest and nothing to do with the Arma Hurricane which has an excellent representation of the fabric, here's my technique for repairing the strange 'triangle' shape of the upper fuselage of the Revell kit.

Sand it down, add stretched sprue, fill with putty, sand again, repeat until it looks sort of okay.

49857028146_4fb83f822a_b.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Yes indeed I have done that - it's the main reason the build id so slow. Also the second cockpit took a little bit of effort. I haven't posted any pics of the Revell one yet - i can only cope with one thread at a time!

But justfor interest and nothing to do with the Arma Hurricane which has an excellent representation of the fabric, here's my technique for repairing the strange 'triangle' shape of the upper fuselage of the Revell kit.

Sand it down, add stretched sprue, fill with putty, sand again, repeat until it looks sort of okay.

49857028146_4fb83f822a_b.jpg

That’s brilliant. 

We are nearly there - undercarriage on, elevators on, just a few little bits to go

49876598402_03fde1bf7b_h.jpg

and just for @Wince a progress report on the Revell Hurricane.

49876598362_b24e5b5fb8_z.jpg

It is not an easy build - there are issues with wing chord (minor) and the rear fabric is a real chore. If I had any more I would sell or bin them and get more Arma ones.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...