Polish MK. XVI ###FINISHED###

that paint job looks great, nice and faded.

I think the cowling demarcation line is right. I have been ready that there were 3 variations with the position of the demarcation line and it all depended where the aircraft was assembled.

This is from Eduard's book from the Aussie 8 model.

Supermarine - the lower cowl right up to almost the join was underside colour - this is what you have 

Keevil - had a small band of the underside colour along the centreline of the lower cowl (?). The upper surface colours extended right down the sides of the lower cowling and looped down the side of the Carb intake

Chattis Hill - similar to Keevil but it looped completely around the lower cowling and only left 2 small bit of lower surface colour, under the intake and a oval section under the forward part 

if it worries you then @Troy Smith would be the person who would probably know/confirm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Not my area of speciality....  @Magpie22 or @gingerbob  maybe better bets for this, but would be a good  thread to have.  

Hi Troy,

I fail to see the connection between what I wrote re Spitfire VIII aircraft and the model bing built. What he has on his model looks OK to me.

Cheers,

Peter

7 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

I fail to see the connection between what I wrote re Spitfire VIII aircraft and the model bing built.

You have posted some very specific details on Spitfires,  I thought you may have known more on the factory variations of other marks is all.  

I, and many others would would find a Mk.VIII detail thread fascinating if nothing else, things like the interior colour changes, different factory , entry door stencilling, uc legs fitted etc, (just some items I have seen you post on)

• Like 1

Hi guys

i’ve just typed all this in mail and am pasting it in here (i tend to do that so i dont lose all my text)

so i havent dived in to the above comments yet

....I couldn’t live with the overly crap paint overspray / demarcation so i’ve tidied it up a touch at the front but still left it a touch dodgy to reflect the reference espeacially at the rear fuselage its pretty rough. 

49782395937_23501d3d27_h.jpg

I’ve also added a bit of rough paint over the band area again to reflect the ref a little.

I’ll go further post-decalling.

49782069766_baea46c2cd_h.jpg

And then decals i’ve started on. 
The letters arent aligned correctly in reality so i’ve tried to emulate that. Seems that they are a touch out of scale on the decals and perhaps the font is just a touch too wide and i may have them positioned a touch too right, but it’ll do the job just fine i think 👍 although viewers will think i’ve done a bad job lining them up. Together with the next stage of paint weathering will look like bad paint jobs.

49782395932_44e0fe7042_h.jpg

Prop and canopy are just positional for the photo.

49782069801_7dcb97dd66_h.jpg

more decals to come

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 14

Ps with all the comments above my post - much appreciated chaps. I don’t want to get too bogged down in correctness but anything to note for next stage, anything glaring and anything fixable brint it on ;)

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

You have posted some very specific details on Spitfires,  I thought you may have known more on the factory variations of other marks is all.  

I, and many others would would find a Mk.VIII detail thread fascinating if nothing else, things like the interior colour changes, different factory , entry door stencilling, uc legs fitted etc, (just some items I have seen you post on)

Troy,

My apologies if my comment seemed abrupt. It was just that I failed to see any connection between Paul's Spitfire XVI model and Rich's post re Spitfire VIII camouflage patterns.

I seem to have aquired a reputation as  a Spitfire expert, but that is not the case. My principal area of research is the RAAF in WWII, particularly in the SWPA. Obviously Spitfires are a part of that, but not a major part. As an aeronautical engineer, (retired), I like to understand my subjects as much as possible, so have not limited my research to operations, colour schemes etc, but also try to understand the "nuts and bolts" of the aircraft involved. I leave the "heavy" research up to Graham and Gingerbob. Where I feel that I can contribute to a thread I do. Over the years, I have collected a lot of archival and photographic information. I do not regard this material as my property, but merely that I am its guardian while I have it. Anything I have is open to all.

A Spitfire VIII detail thread - a fascinating thought. The VIII was only a 'minor' variant of the Spifire line but the modifications incorporated were many - standards of build, wing tips, rudder, engine, etc; armament mods; bomb racks; ID lights;  U/C struts: are some of the more obvious. It is interesting to read reports from the the RAAF erection units on the differences in Spitfires as they arrived: things like deletion of U/C warning horn, throttle mods, changes to elevator shrouds, fuel pumps, roller bearings replacing ball bearings, mods to flap control valves, and that is just a list involving about ten to twenty aircraft. Of couse, many of these changes also involved changes in the cockpit, e.g. fitting bomb selection and release  equipment to RAAF A/C- one reason I never get too uptight about the "office" configuration in my models. Throughout the Spifire's life in the RAAF, the Directorate of Technical Services issued a continual series of modification orders, technical orders and instructions, many based on those raised in the UK, and also local mods, as it did with all types. Of course many of these are of no interest to most modellers, but I find that they help balance the picture. I suspect that you have a similar approach with the Hurricane.  :banghead: And, as I said, the VIII was only a minor variant. I feel for those trying to understand the variations and mods of the whole production range. Shacklady and Morgan attempted this in their "magnum opus", and they only scratched the surface!

Just for reference, attached are rough sketches I did of the patterns of the camouflage around the nose on Mk.VIII Spitfires for Eduard. They chose note to illustrate the schemes, but rely on the verbal description and their main illustrations.

Supermarine

ca0a72bc-df8f-42d4-8d05-232560160c7f.jpg

Keevil

bebdac63-5572-4de9-93d5-ba295358e437.jpg

Chattis Hill

cf39aaca-7815-4698-a858-85686d133703.jpg

Chattis Hill - Late - HF (DFS)

0f5954d1-14de-4e13-a2c4-e3b9e18fbd76.jpg

Finally, Paul, I apologise for hijacking your thread. Model is looking good, BTW.

Peter M

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Mk.VIII  was less just a minor variant than the next step in a continuous development line.  It would have been the major late Spitfire type but for the rush to get the Mk.IX into production quickly and its later dominance of the Castle Bromwich Spitfire sausage line.  It had the extra tankage, the shortened ailerons, a larger fuselage fuel tank, and revised rear fuselage structure with smooth riveting (I gather this was first seen on the Mk.XII which slipped in between the Mk.V and the Mk.VIII.)  Operationally, the MK.VIII was the major late Merlin type overseas.  There was just the minor exception of the UK and Western Europe left to the IX...  The Mk.VIII grew into the Mk.XIV.  So are we talking about it being minor in numbers terms or operational terms or development importance?    Two out of three says minor, I guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The Mk.VIII  was less just a minor variant than the next step in a continuous development line.  It would have been the major late Spitfire type but for the rush to get the Mk.IX into production quickly and its later dominance of the Castle Bromwich Spitfire sausage line.  It had the extra tankage, the shortened ailerons, a larger fuselage fuel tank, and revised rear fuselage structure with smooth riveting (I gather this was first seen on the Mk.XII which slipped in between the Mk.V and the Mk.VIII.)  Operationally, the MK.VIII was the major late Merlin type overseas.  There was just the minor exception of the UK and Western Europe left to the IX...  The Mk.VIII grew into the Mk.XIV.  So are we talking about it being minor in numbers terms or operational terms or development importance?    Two out of three says minor, I guess.

Hi Graham,

Sorry if my comments upset you.

I did put minor in inverted commas in my post.  🙂  I am well aware of the Mk.VIII's aerodynamic and structural improvements, and its place in the development of subsequent Spitfire versions. :rolleyes: 

I had in mind the number produced when I used the word "minor". Approx figures from memory:

Mk. I and Mk.II - 2,400

Mk. V - 6500

Mk. IX and XVI - 6500

Mk. VIII - 1600

I lump MKI and II, and MK.IX and XVI, together as they were essentailly the same aerodynamically and structurally. 

Peter M

• Like 4

No problem Peter, I knew you'd know all that.  But it is easy for the less well-informed to confuse minor with unimportant, so I thought adding a bit of context would help.  After all, the XI and XVI were dead-ends, whereas the VIII (including VII) was the basis for all later Spitfires.  There is perhaps room for a discussion on the merits of continuing with established engineering as opposed to making changes, but too much of a digression here.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

@Graham Boak There is a book on Czech spitfires? 

Czechoslovak Spitfires in Detail, by Jiri Rajlich, published by Wings & Wheels Publications, Prague 2002.  ISBN 80-86416-22-4.  Only 48 pages, not counting covers, but a gem.  Mainly large photos, with 8 colour profiles and much useful info.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Franz75 its a great kit!
Another little update here.
She’s had a dark dirt flory wash, 

49789685257_41836445d8_b.jpg

I’ve masked the exhaust stacks and painted them, worked out ok doing it this way as it was quite easy to mask,

49789685232_e34854d148_b.jpg

49789685267_747235303e_h.jpg

49789685242_8f45b80e41_b.jpg

I’ve also given her a matt coat 
and ‘fuel stains’ trying to echo the original,
I’m afraid my camo has drifted off a long way from the original though 😟 i’m a bit miffed about that but its too late now. Think i copied the wrong camo scheme from the decals sheet 🤪 :banghead:

49789685252_4a17503243_h.jpg

Also got rid of the 7 on the code, the originals is painted away. Its not quite right yet.

49789371371_a13b0400ab_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

Whoopsy daisy’s pity about that camo, still a sterling job Paul👍👍👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan

I think i just ran too fast with this one making ridiculous errors like that.

I must learn to slow down and enjoy the build.

• Haha 1

Thanks so much @Cookenbacher👍🙏😊

Ok i’m calling this done.
This time i have left off all stencil data.
The ref photos suggest that its near invisible or not there.
Fudge ups: the misaligned camo and the carpet monster ate the very last piece i was installing (the round mirror atop the cockpit) and i need to blast the rear codes with microsol still otherwise i’m quite happy with it.
Thanks for following and the advice chaps.

49791853398_c930ed6e8c_h.jpg

49792401571_8c6c87f544_h.jpg

49792708162_f057cf4861_h.jpg

49791853473_168ed5cdc9_h.jpg

49792708182_a44902d2c9_h.jpg

49791853443_086f86df22_h.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul, 

Sorry I'm late the party, difficult with so many builds happening at once. You've got a delightful build and I love the trouble you went to and what you achieved with the final finish. Looks excellent. Are your photos working in the gallery?

Ray

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Paul, 

Sorry I'm late the party, difficult with so many builds happening at once. You've got a delightful build and I love the trouble you went to and what you achieved with the final finish. Looks excellent. Are your photos working in the gallery?

Ray

Thanks a lot Ray🙏

can you see the images if you clear your cache?

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Not quite what you wanted Paul, but still an amazing result. A gorgeous finish! :goodjob:

Every failure we learn and get closer to a great one charlie 👍

5 minutes ago, Dansk said:

can you see the images if you clear your cache?

Still can't, Done that. First time I have struck this problem. Not to worry. I'll keep playing around.