Polish MK. XVI ###FINISHED###

That cockpit is absolutely perfect, really inspiring. 
That cowl is such an issue, ruins what otherwise is a stunning kit, but at least you have managed to get it together and on...a one piece in the kit needs to be done..

Great fast work

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

That cockpit is absolutely perfect, really inspiring. 
That cowl is such an issue, ruins what otherwise is a stunning kit, but at least you have managed to get it together and on...a one piece in the kit needs to be done..

Great fast work

I know its a bummer isn’t it, theres  a detail of the cowl below...

Didnt manage to continue at the break-neck pace today; having to run errands all day, but did get a bunch done.

I thought before priming it would be good to mask the painted exhaust stacks.
A brilliant idea : I’ll mask the fuselage and cover them in liquid mask! 

💡

🤓

49770060543_705da717da_b.jpg

Not a good idea, it doesnt cover properly the stacks and it got everywhere i didnt want it to go including the fuselage and was a nightmare to remove it all - here’s what a toothbrush looks like.... 

49770918127_ef3e9bc0ea_b.jpg

So I’ll repaint later, instead.

Here’s a before and after primer shot. 

49770592091_faf36aad68_h.jpg

The fit of the nose cowl i will live with, It’s the best i could do. 

Guess it looks a little beat up.

49770592151_9f069faa82_b.jpg

Damn i just noticed a blob of liquid mask still there 🤨

Well a bit more clean up here and there, a bit of rescribe and rerivet and we’re onwards and upwards! Yay this kits been really smooth to put together. (Apart from that cowl)

Damn, it’s work tomorrow 😟 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Still on the money...I usually leave the stacks off till near the end but it’s so tempting when ur on a roll. What is the colour you have used for the stacks, it’s nice 

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Still on the money...I usually leave the stacks off till near the end but it’s so tempting when ur on a roll. What is the colour you have used for the stacks, it’s nice 

Thanks 🙏

Me too, but you cant do that with the eduard spit kit, they have to be installed prior to the cowl. Its an odd set up; they lock between two pieces representing the engine block which is completely invisible. 🤔

The colour was rust primer with a dash of black.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

gosh those bits on this one look very similar to those for my Mk.VIII! :D

Nice work on the cockpit, she is a wee gem! 

Gee that is a bit of a stuff up by Eduard! Does the issues with the upper cowls effect all the ones they released for the 1/48th Spitfire, or just this version? I will probably be looking at some for my Mk.VIII's, I'm probably now happy those Eduard Cowls weren't available here!!!

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh those bits on this one look very similar to those for my Mk.VIII! :D

Nice work on the cockpit, she is a wee gem! 

Gee that is a bit of a stuff up by Eduard! Does the issues with the upper cowls effect all the ones they released for the 1/48th Spitfire, or just this version? I will probably be looking at some for my Mk.VIII's, I'm probably now happy those Eduard Cowls weren't available here!!!

The issues with the cowls are present on all VIII, IX and XVI :(

But if you attach it with white glue, you can remove it and add the exhausts lager.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

... add the exhausts lager.

I like your thinking...Carlsberg probably.

Yes just about to do the cowl and exhausts on my 1/48 VIII and can't see a way round early exhaust fitment.  It's just about doable to post fit on their 1/72 versions, but still very tight; you still need a bit of filing and luck or the carefully refined top cowl will crack loose after your perfectly done paint job...don't ask how I know.

Good Luck

Will

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

The issues with the cowls are present on all VIII, IX and XVI :(

But if you attach it with white glue, you can remove it and add the exhausts lager.

weeeee :cheers: definitely going to have one of those later! :D

The way I'm going. I'm probably going to fit the cowling last after painting! I've spent a lot of time on this (and other stuff) today and am super happy so with the results of the work on the cowling. Join has completely disappeared and I only lost a few rivets, just need to finish the polishing and re-riveting......good thing was no filler required. Will post an update shortly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Sometime, but not today I'll remember to turn off the Swedish spellchecker on my phone when trying to reply on the phone...

but it is a good way to end a busy day! :cheers:

• Haha 1

I’m not sure I like building the same eduard model at the same time as you skilled guys as mine’s gonna look proper rubbish next to them 😳😕

But anyways heres a basic preshade...

49773413162_5f5e269dae_b.jpg

49773085891_0caecd49f3_b.jpg

I do love this stage and the next with paint 🤗

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’m not sure I like building the same eduard model at the same time as you skilled guys as mine’s gonna look proper rubbish next to them 😳😕

Nah, you'll be fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks 🙏

Me too, but you cant do that with the eduard spit kit, they have to be installed prior to the cowl. Its an odd set up; they lock between two pieces representing the engine block which is completely invisible. 🤔

The colour was rust primer with a dash of black.

Thanks Dansk! I’m glad I checked in, that does seem odd, my masking is awful. I need to order some rust colour, this looks really nice! Thanks again, great thread 

• Thanks 1

Ok she’s had a couple of coats of medium sea gray on the underside. 

(Which looks exactly like the primer it replaces 😄)

49773952412_2848906282_b.jpg

so i’ll mount the painted radiators next and then move on to masking the top.

In the meantime this fella just arrived at the door.

Glad I didn’t wait for it, @Christer A you were spot on. Its way too big! Rubbish.

49773623786_48a8c1a64a_b.jpg

In the same delivery were these guys... they look great. 👍

But are the green highlighted parts supposed to be the ‘tail hoop thing’ overpainted?

49773952347_d70b5ddae5_b.jpg

@Valkyrie I made these for the recent mustang build, its vallejo rust primer with black weathering powder on top. My plan was to do the same for the spit, perhaps.

49301590987_34fa47fa45_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Strictly only from 2TAF aircraft, which this one was.  Fighter Command (i.e. squadrons in the UK) retained the Sky trim, band and spinners.  As seen on Czech Spitfires postwar.  Speaking of which, I was about to paint the sky band when I decided to find the photo of JP-1 to ensure I got it in the right place.  Can I find my book of Czech Spitfires?  no!  There was a photo in an old Air International which I have just filleted and binned.  Maybe I kept that page, somewhere in four 4 litre boxes of saved pages.  Am I ecstatic?  No.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thanks chaps. - the photo ref shows a black spinner though Graham?

I’ve opted to follow the decal sheet refs here and also the overpainted larger roundels too. So a bit more pre-shading was in order...

49774444162_a9f3d636fb_c.jpg

49773585158_95f76a9cd3_c.jpg

49774444267_e8fe846110_c.jpg

49736521747_b221e1bb23_c.jpg

49773952347_d70b5ddae5_c.jpg

Hopefully this preshading will look like those areas have been repainted fresh.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Dansk said:

@Valkyrie I made these for the recent mustang build, its vallejo rust primer with black weathering powder on top. My plan was to do the same for the spit, perhaps.

49301590987_34fa47fa45_b.jpg

That’s outstanding! I think il be buying these ingredients, looks brilliant il be giving this a go. Also ordered a baracuda cowling, Eduard will not be used, what a waste...

keep this us, great work, you are flying 

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

Epic stuff Paul, I've hardly started my build!

Your pre-shading will pay dividends on such a weathered Spit.

Best wishes for the rest,

Cheers. I rather sped along with this one as i have a bunch to make on the next GB. But it’s such a great kit it falls together. Looking forward to trying to captire that trashed photo ref.

• Like 3

Here’s my evening’s camo work.

49777749928_159bf88ff0_b.jpg

First up a light coating of Hataka atlantic grey (fs36187)

I really like how the roundels and preshading remained and looked painted over as they indeed were.

49778612397_468df356ea_b.jpg

49778281771_133b10ceff_b.jpg

Then a coat of tamiya ja green. Same result with the roundels so I’m pretty happy.

49778281806_c7dc7cceef_b.jpg

49777749933_52838aaa89_b.jpg

I Just Painted a missed area on the starboard wing in this shot.

49777749968_1fbc364d85_h.jpg

With regards to dodgy overspray and errors I’m thinking of keeping the lot and not fixing them!! 

When i look at the photo ref it has a realllllly rough paint job and actually kinda matches this effect. Particularly where upper camo meets the underside on the ref. Looks wrong in a right way to me? What do you guys think - should i clean it up more?

49778281726_5d8d1c4f10_c.jpg

So thats’s where we’re at. I’ll reassess tomorrow but i think its come out ok.
So maybe a gloss coat to preserve this for now.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7