Polish MK. XVI ###FINISHED###

Hi everyone.
I’d like to join the line-up if I may -

I was planning to use this from the stash and build it OOB...

49736521827_a2f0440537_b.jpg

Here are the plastic bits...
(And a fresh new cutting mat for a fresh new project)
49736191041_9638c76250_b.jpg

49735650478_95051eec54_b.jpg

49735650453_efca57d916_b.jpg

The canopy parts tried to escape...

49736191001_8492ae8612_b.jpg

Other stuff in the box...

49736191016_744f7c3bd8_b.jpg

49736521817_1da7b05870_b.jpg

However,
I had problems with Eduards decals on a previous build, and these look to be a similar deal - a kinda home-lazer-printed blotchy colour feel. so i have ordered these fellas so its no longer an OOB project...

49735650368_86ff1267ca_b.jpg

The highlighted markings will allow me to build 308 Squadron Leader Pniaks Mk XVI.
These are the reference photos I will use for the build.

49736521747_b221e1bb23_b.jpg

While i was at it and having broke the OOB plan, I ordered an eduard top cowl

spacer.png

I think this could be really fun. I’ve only built a spitfire as a kid before, and that was one heck of a long time ago. 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Paul!

That top cowl however, isn't.

I've bougth 4 of them and they have all been about 1mm too long, and I'm not alone in these discoveries either :(

Ultracast or Barracuda is what I'd recommend instead .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Nice one Paul!

That top cowl however, isn't.

I've bougth 4 of them and they have all been about 1mm too long, and I'm not alone in these discoveries either :(

Ultracast or Barracuda is what I'd recommend instead .

Damn, wish i’d posted before buying Christer. That’s such a mistake on eduard’s part eh? for their own kit even. 😮

It's such an "epic fail" on their part, that there's even a thread about it here on BM somewhere.

Here's my issues with a RR Merlin cowl

36120450276_ea5549f5f7_o.jpg

35770105070_fd1dd51444_o.jpg

I actually sawed one up, and removed 1mm from it and reattached it again for a VIII a few years back

35770104300_88d45bf187_o.jpg

It came out all right in the end though

44513887251_13ef7eec0f_o.jpg.

Now, you have the Packard build Merlins, and that cowl has a slight different shape so it might be possible that the Brassin part actually fits.

Also, the did do some change to them after a while.

Ah, found the old thread!

• Like 5

Yikes, that thread really shows what a mess they made of it, hopefully this is a new one and hopefully its fixed or its going straight back.

There was me thinking i’m clever too, eliminating the need to join that split cowl on the kit (actually why didnt they just have it as one part anyway? seems like a money spinner to do this anyway.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Will be watching this one as I have weekend edition and the same AM decal set. 

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers Greg 👍

Cool ;) Which one are you going to build Greg?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dansk said:

kit (actually why didnt they just have it as one part anyway? seems like a money spinner to do this anyway.)

Yeah I’m thinking this is why they did it, the spitfire top cowl in my opinion, is the most distinct part....hope you are tight and the new ones are almost snap fit....I’m sure we will soon find out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Cool ;) Which one are you going to build Greg?

Hi Dansk!

I have still to decide which option to use. I am a real procrastinator 😙

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yeah I’m thinking this is why they did it, the spitfire top cowl in my opinion, is the most distinct part....hope you are tight and the new ones are almost snap fit....I’m sure we will soon find out

The shape right above the exhaust is very peculiar, and quite hard to capture correctly if it's integrated with the fuselage halves, as traditionally done. By splitting and angling the cowl as Eduard did, they do get shape correct, and lovely rivets too.

It's just us poor sods that can't joint two pieces together without sanding that lose, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Good grief Paul, is there no slowing you down!

I would have thought you would have given yourself a week off before the "kit you built as a kid" GB starts.

Good luck with your Spit, looks like you might need it with the top cowl.

Thanks 🙏

I had to do it Craig it was shouting out to me from the stash. 

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

The shape right above the exhaust is very peculiar, and quite hard to capture correctly if it's integrated with the fuselage halves, as traditionally done. By splitting and angling the cowl as Eduard did, they do get shape correct, and lovely rivets too.

It's just us poor sods that can't joint two pieces together without sanding that lose, 

If this piece of mine arrives and it fits you’re gonna hear the cheer in sweden. 😁

• Haha 2

i’ve just noticed that thing in the red circle - does anyone know is it a rough metal patch-up?

and also the green circle at the rear - is that a repaint over the ‘7’ or an overenthusiastic photo-retoucher?

49743822126_14b14960fe_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmmm, hard to say what those marks are. 

The airframe in general looks well weathered with the grey parts looking washes out.

Red circled part could the removal of previous pilots personal marking? It doesn't look like fresh metal or paintwork to me. 

Great reference photos.

Cheers Greg 😁

15 hours ago, Dansk said:

i’ve just noticed that thing in the red circle - does anyone know is it a rough metal patch-up?

and also the green circle at the rear - is that a repaint over the ‘7’ or an overenthusiastic photo-retoucher?

49743822126_14b14960fe_b.jpg

the one in front of the cockpit could be the start of this badge, right shape and angle

49736521747_b221e1bb23_b.jpg

On 04/04/2020 at 23:10, Dansk said:

49736521817_1da7b05870_b.jpg

However,
I had problems with Eduards decals on a previous build, and these look to be a similar deal - a kinda home-lazer-printed blotchy colour feel.

Might be worth checking if this just something off the decal protective sheet transferred onto the decals, or damage to the top layer of decal varnish. 

have you tried one to see if it comes off?  Otherwise, write to Eduard and complain,  and they will send you a new sheet.

• Thanks 1

I made rather an early start on this, having friday off (and being in this current corona lockdown universe), i hope thats ok - it was no where near a 25% complete state.

Well the weather’s been superb here so naturally i spent the entire bank holiday weekend in a dark room making a plastic model. 😁 But I’ve got quite a lot accomplished.

P.s. im not a rivet counter or spit expert but do chime in if you see any fixable errors :)

Putting the decals to one side this is a great kit so far. 

A lot of really good fitting parts albeit with some eduard vagueness in some locating points.

Started in the office as usual, everything coat a of AK black primer.

49766541662_6cd96454be_c.jpg

A spot of paint…

49766541207_fcb6c1157c_c.jpg

Then a wash and dry brush we were here…

49766211216_8695f407c4_c.jpg

49766211086_7e62ec8488_b.jpg

Add seat belts, and an Eduard IP to the mix and we were coming along nicely…

49765677253_8366945282_b.jpg

(Note in red the crystal clear hadn’t dried on this gauge yet.)

Joining it together and I think it looked pretty ok to my eyes.

49766210886_c662db8bac_b.jpg

49765677028_e117a87098_b.jpg

So she was put in place…

49766541482_638da0602b_b.jpg

At this point I decided to veer off the instructions and add the main wing underside to the fuselage

49766211021_e541c7f757_b.jpg

Eduard will have you join the uppers to the lower and then add to the fuselage, I thought that looked tricker. This worked well near seamless joins as you can see in this shot, can't vouch for the instructions version of event but that might be good too…

(Like my funky way of pushing the head frame back without the band slipping off :)

49766541527_b96bd421fc_b.jpg

Next I added the ailerons, putting the starboard slightly elevated and the port slightly retarded like my reference photo…

49765680848_fbdf5710c1_h.jpg

49766214911_cc35795514_z.jpg

The elevators and rudder have been given a bit of movement too…

49766544992_cd51a2e345_c.jpg

Oh - And I did the wheels and radiators just now as I was bored sanding and filling...

49765680863_9a37929117_h.jpg

So a lot accomplished so far!

However, the resin cowl cover hasn’t arrived yet so I’m contemplating continuing with the kit part as I’ve got so far already.

And there’s still another bank holiday full of modelling tomorrow! :yahoo:

• Like 14

You're flying with this one Paul 😋

And you know what? I'm sure lots of us start with a new cutting mat for each new kit we build 😉 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

That is one mighty fine cockpit!

At this pace it will be done next weekend?

Unfortunately work will rear its ugly head tomorrow 😒

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

You're flying with this one Paul 😋

And you know what? I'm sure lots of us start with a new cutting mat for each new kit we build 😉 

Haha ocd comes into effect when i’m on a trashed up cutting mat

starts to look like a spit this morning...

49767724408_eaeaccd395_b.jpg

That kit nose cowling was a pain, a lot of faffing and it still is a bit off.

aligning 2 pieces with 8 sides of alignment is impossible. I dont know why they didnt do it as one piece.

49768582972_4db41b685b_b.jpg

• Like 5