Luft Hansa's Dornier Do-18 AEOLUS - Matchbox/Revell, 1/72

Welcome to my first lockdown build, which I started aroud two weeks ago (when the Czech quarantine started).

The Revell kit, which I bougth second hand, is a reboxed Matchbox and is really advanced like the many other Matchbox kits from it's time.

144865-11185-76-pristine.jpg

I started to like this machine because of its curves and design. Although it's a German construction, which is very rare in my stash, I started this build with great enthusiasm and a vision of a fast build kit with only minor improvements and scratchbuilding. The cockpit came first and I decided to put the pilots into their office for the first time in my 14-year modelling career - and I am happy about that!
Then all the progress went in a really fast pace, including riveting, detailing the exterior (reinforcement stripes, a new window, engine air intakes, exhausts and much more...). Few changes from the military to the civil aircraft had to be done such as extra window next to the cockpit, filling the turrets holes, different engines and the airscrews too. To be honest, the pace was fast enough to skip the photo sessions and also starting a new thread here. But now there is the painting starting piont - Surfacer primer aibrushed and waiting for colours...

... And the chosen one is this marking:
Luft Hansa's Dornier Do-18E   D-ABYM "AEOLUS" - In April 1937, D-ABYM Aeolus started service on the South Atlantic mail route from Bathurst, now Banjul, Gambia to Natal, Brazil (3040 km). Catapult ships were based in Bathurst and Fernando de Noronha to allow the aircraft to cross the Atlantic carrying a full load of mail. Aeolus was lost on 30 July 1937, when it had to make an ocean landing due to engine problems and was heavily damaged when Ostmark tried to retrieve the plane.

3ab175cfc2f195a3d0d1ab28c3b32915 DrKZZXTXgAA0sST Letayushhaya-lodka-Dornier-Do-18-7

So here is the current state. Readied for the painting.

And I almost forgot to write that the decals and my friend Pavel will prepare the decals and masks again!

P1560052 P1560050 P1560057 P1560053 P1560060

And a few close ups:

P1560061 P1560064 P1560062 P1560063

Hope you'll like it.

Thanks for reading!

Andrew S.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I recently bought this same kit, with the intention of doing one of the south Atlantic mail carriers, so I’m very interested in seeing how yours comes out. Looking great so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

I recently bought this same kit, with the intention of doing one of the south Atlantic mail carriers, so I’m very interested in seeing how yours comes out. Looking great so far!

What a coincidence :D Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

After a while, I have managed to paint the whole Dornier and here is a result.
At first I painted the belly with the Alclad Dark Aluminium and covered it. For the aluminium-lightgrey colour I used my own mix but after finding my Agama Aluminium Coat (46Me) I re-painted the whole surface and continued with the Tamiya Yellow and black surfacer (my favourite black paint). Tail swastika stripe is done by mask, as same as the black code letters will be.

P1560073 P1560068 P1560067 P1560069 P1560077 P1560066 P1560071 P1560074 P1560076

The masks and decals were provided by my friend Pavel (Thanks a lot!) and will be my next task.

P1560079 P1560078

Hope you like it. Be safe.
Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 17

Hello Andrew,

this really looks lovely. You've done a splendid job! It is great to see a pre-war German subject. I have a pipe dream to build a Dornier Do-24 in this same Lufthansa paint scheme. I'm waiting for to see more😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Andrew,

this really looks lovely. You've done a splendid job! It is great to see a pre-war German subject. I have a pipe dream to build a Dornier Do-24 in this same Lufthansa paint scheme. I'm waiting for to see more😉

Cheers,

Antti

I really like this airplane too Antti 🙂 Thanks for your support. I am looking forward to the big black letters, they will improve the overall image a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Are you talking Dornier Do-24 or Do-26? I think Do-26 was in same paint scheme, but was Do-24 ever in these colours?

Good point Vesa, I meant Do-26 of course, not Do-24.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

At first I painted the belly with the Alclad Dark Aluminium and covered it. For the aluminium-lightgrey colour I used my own mix but after finding my Agama Aluminium Coat (46Me) I re-painted the whole surface and continued with the Tamiya Yellow and black surfacer (my favourite black paint). Tail swastika stripe is done by mask, as same as the black code letters will be.

Your paint job looks great! I like the Agama aluminum, so much so that I ordered a bottle (even though it cost more for shipping than for the paint). Are you planning to weather this beauty? 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!

The masks are created i Corel Draw And then cut by plotter into the masking foil. 🙂

45 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Your paint job looks great! I like the Agama aluminum, so much so that I ordered a bottle (even though it cost more for shipping than for the paint). Are you planning to weather this beauty? 

Thanks a lot!

The weathering will be very extensive because the Aeolus had this scheme just about two months in service. Therefore there wasn't much time to affect the paints.

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Good point Vesa, I meant Do-26 of course, not Do-24.

Cheers,

Antti

Yeah, that's right! 😄

Edited by Andrew.S

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic work. I don’t know why but to me that just shouts out for a diorama base. Now it might be because I spent yesterday afternoon watching YouTube modelling videos and came across a surprisingly good one showing how to  use toilet paper to do water and wave effects.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...