Airfix 1/72 Vulcan (the old one)

Didn't enjoy this challenging build, the new Airfix kit can't come soon enough!

tn_IMG_20200403_172536

Finished as the Duxford-displayed XJ824 for a work colleague who flew it into Duxford on its last ever flight.

tn_IMG_20200403_172550 tn_IMG_20200403_172615

I added Freightdog Olympus 201 exhausts and scratchbuilt the cockpit, crew entrance area and entry ladder along with extra detailing in the wheelwells and gear doors.

tn_IMG_20200403_172621 tn_IMG_20200403_172557

Decals were a mixture but the 101 Sqn badge and serial were provided by @Darth Vader. Paints were Gunze Mr Color lacquer for the camouflage colours and MRP lacquer mix for the Light Aircraft Grey

tn_IMG_20200403_172524 tn_IMG_20200403_172519

Build log is here:

Very glad it's done, now I can move on with my life!

All the best,

Alan

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

I hope your colleague likes this model Alan, you’ve done a good job on what’s regarded as a challenging kit.

Several years ago a friend and I went to Duxford for the day and had taken my then-toddler daughter so that her mum could get some sleep (night shifts).  We were stood under XJ824 busily examining one of the main wheel bays when my friend looked round and asked “Where’s Grace?”.  We looked round but couldn’t see her.  Then we looked back at ‘824 to discover that she had ducked under the guard rope round the undercarriage and was trying to get both arms round a wheel that’s bigger than she was at the time and looking very pleased with her little pink self.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Hello Allan,

Old or new, to me it looks fantastic, Not the most easiest color scheme to spray.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

Very nice Alan especially given the challenging nature of the dated molds.  I`m certain your good friend is very proud to have it on display.  I know I would.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gazza l said:

Very nice result, not an easy kit to conquer but you've achieved it.

gazza l 

Thanks, your build provided an excellent reference resource, standing on the shoulders of giants and all that 😉👍

• Thanks 1

Nice job Al - that's one more Vulcan than I've managed to build, despite mastering a load of gear bays and intakes back in the day :shrug:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice job Al - that's one more Vulcan than I've managed to build, despite mastering a load of gear bays and intakes back in the day :shrug:

Thanks, it'll hopefully be my last 😉

Been looking at the big B-1 this week, so that might be making an appearance soon... 

• Haha 1