Tim's long-wing Spitfire 6 - COMPLETION

Some initial thoughts for the built. 

This is not a version that I know much about - but have wanted a long-wing model to complete my collection.

The kit looks like a Spitfire V (which is what I thought it was based on), single radiator -  but has a 4-blade prop like a IX.

And the B-wing cannons used on most Spitfire Vs.  Wingtips are on the fuselage sprue.

With Green/Grey camo, my most similar previous builds is this

Airfix Sptifire Vb

Airfix-Spitfire-V1.jpg

Looking at the sprues, there are some spare parts:  two 3 blade prop spinners, a desert filter, and a belly tank.

Then an additional canopy - pressurised.

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

interesting version you are going to build. I'm planning the same, just in 1/48 from the Hasegawa kit. I did some research into the differences to the Mk.V so I hope you don't mind if I share my findings here. Apart from the mentiomed 4-blade prop and extended wingtips there are other differences:

• an air intake for cockpit pressurization below the RH exhaust stacks (similar to the PR.XIX)
  • the canopy was fixed in place, not a sliding design. So you should fill the canopy rails
  • the cockpit door was deleted and replaced with sheet metal
  • the forward and rear cockpit bulkheads were fully enclosed
  • there is an additional horizontal frame on the rear fixed canopy part

There's maybe more but I think these are the most noticeable differences. No idea if Italeri considered all these differences (if they are like Hasegawa then only the most noticeable ones).

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

I have this kit together with one Italeri Mk IX and 2 Airfix Mk IX. In a review somewhere it was suggested that the chord of the Italeri wing is too narrow, and it certainly is less than that on the Airfix kit, though I cannot say which (if any) is actually correct - it would be interesting if anybody knows the correct dimensions.

Italeri wing on top of Airfix - the difference is 1mm to 2mm.

DSC02822-crop

I was considering seeing if I could cross-kit them using Airfix wings. Years ago I converted the original Airfix Mk Vb to a Mk VI using resin conversion wings - not perfect but looks quite good.

will watch this with interest.

Have fun and be safe,

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Tim,

I have this kit together with one Italeri Mk IX and 2 Airfix Mk IX. In a review somewhere it was suggested that the chord of the Italeri wing is too narrow, and it certainly is less than that on the Airfix kit, though I cannot say which (if any) is actually correct - it would be interesting if anybody knows the correct dimensions.

Italeri wing on top of Airfix - the difference is 1mm to 2mm.

DSC02822-crop

I was considering seeing if I could cross-kit them using Airfix wings. Years ago I converted the original Airfix Mk Vb to a Mk VI using resin conversion wings - not perfect but looks quite good.

I will watch this with interest.

Have fun and be safe,

Pete

The Italeri wing is right - the Airfix wing is too broad in chord.  You can get the true dimensions from Monforton's tome - from memory it is 17mm but basically everybody gets the wing root chord right except Airfix on their Mk.IX/XIX kits, including Airfix on their other kits.  The Airfix Mk.IX however is the only kit with the correct nose length - the Italeri nose is horribly short but had it a better shape anyway it would do for a Mk.III.

• Like 1

Sorry Tim, 

Need new reading glasses - yours is a Mk VI and mine is a Mk VII

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Opening day progress

Some distortion on the port fuselage half, and a misfitting access door.

101-0143.jpg

Cockpit parts, instument panel is etch brass -  from the AeroTeam kit.

101-0147.jpg

Fuselage and wings together, that engine needed packing out with a piece of sprue.

101-0152.jpg

Enging fitted about a minute later.

101-0153.jpg

and tailfeathers.

101-0154.jpg

This kit is the most disappionting of the 3 that I started today.  Mis-shaped, soft plastic, poor fit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Tim,

interesting version you are going to build. I'm planning the same, just in 1/48 from the Hasegawa kit. I did some research into the differences to the Mk.V so I hope you don't mind if I share my findings here. Apart from the mentiomed 4-blade prop and extended wingtips there are other differences:

• an air intake for cockpit pressurization below the RH exhaust stacks (similar to the PR.XIX)
  • the canopy was fixed in place, not a sliding design. So you should fill the canopy rails

There's maybe more but I think these are the most noticeable differences. No idea if Italeri considered all these differences (if they are like Hasegawa then only the most noticeable ones).

Cheers

Markus

Thanks for that Markus,  I wish Italeri hadn't bothered with the cockpit door!

We'll see if I can do justice to those changes.

Are you sure that air intake for cockpit pressurization is on Stbd side?  It's Port side on the Airfix PR19

Hi Tim,

positive about the intake. Take a look at these pictures: https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/october-2017-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vi-11-photos/

Pity that the Italeri kit is such a let down but I guess you will make the best of it.

Just another point but do the extended wingtip look a bit too pointed? Based on the look of some photos they may should be a bit more rounded at the tip.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Tim,

Cheers

Markus

Holdup, if the canopy was fixed how did the pilot get in and out? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

That was a story I heard when I bought the kit.

A shot-up plane that crash landed, then caught fire.

The pilot couldn't get out.  A dreadful situation with a terminal outcome.

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The canopy had to be put in place and locked/unlocked (I guess from the outside by ground personell). There was an emergency jettison mechanism in case the pilot needed to bail out. Read it here too: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/supermarine-spitfire-variants-the-initial-merlin-powered-line.html/4

Due to a better pressurisation system they could revert to the more popular sliding design with the Mk.VII.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 3