Tamiya 1:48 G-6. Is it early or late type?

is it windy yet?

I really don’t know the difference between my ear and elbow when it comes 109’s, but the g’s really send me for a loop. Is the tamiya 109g-6 kit in 1:48 scale the early or the late type?  I know one of the three versions is the trop version, but that still doesn’t help with the earlymor late types. 

I'd say the G-6 was slap in the middle of the early and late variants.  Without going into too much detail, it lacks both the smooth cowling of the earlier and the smooth but bulged cowling of the later.  It has small bulges in the upper wing for tyres but not the largest ones.  Most have the early rudder and short tailwheel leg.  So perhaps you could say it was the last of the earlier ones - apart from the recce G-8, of course.  But some of them did have the bulged cowling and tall tail and tall tailwheel - not sure about the fat tyres and hence larger fairing over the wing.

I don't think that there actually were any tropical versions of any variant after the G-6/8.  Germany was not longer fighting in North Africa, nor presumably the dustier parts of the steppes.

I do wonder why you want to know - if you want to make a G-6 there it is, is you don't the same applies.  I gather it's a fine model of the most common variant, with a wide range of possible colours and markings een if the majority were just 74/75/76.

Edited by Graham Boak

Do you mean is it an early or late G, or an early or late G-6? Or is that even more confusing? As a G-6, it's an early one. But as was said, the G-6 itself fits about in the middle of the G series overall.

The Trop in this case just means you can stick a filter on the intake, nothing really to do with early/late version.

Why do you ask specifically for early or late? That might help us help you.

On 04/04/2020 at 19:00, is it windy yet? said:

I really don’t know the difference between my ear and elbow when it comes 109’s, but the g’s really send me for a loop. Is the tamiya 109g-6 kit in 1:48 scale the early or the late type?  I know one of the three versions is the trop version, but that still doesn’t help with the earlymor late types. 

I'd call the Tamiya 1:48 Bf 109 G6 as described here https://imodeler.com/2018/03/1-48-scale-tamiya-61117-messerschmitt-bf-109-g6-kit-review-part-1-of-2/ an "early" G6 with a small step towards "medium".

It provides parts for pilot's head armour represented as a metal sheet (B10) and as the Galland Panzer (amourd glass C7 clear part).

But it does not contain an Erla Haube (canopy with less bird caging) and no tall tail. To tell the tall tail check here http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/structures/tails/talltail.htm

Edited by Jochen Barett