1970’s HMS Ark Royal aft catapult sect markings.

Wafu

So, the time has come for me to make the obligatory FAA dio with an 892 F4 being launched from the aft cat on the Ark in 1/48th.

Can I ask if anyone has or knows where I can get a good deck plan of that area? Coastal Kits bases only do part of the deck by 4 spot, I’d like to do my rendition of the Phantom on the cat with water cooled blast deflectors deployed etc.

Would any one be able to point me in the direction of the reference material?

Cheers in advance.

The Woo.

Don't know how accurate it is but when Airfix released their 1/72 F-4K, there was a special edition of Airfix Model World magazine with the deck plans for one of the catapults (not sure if it was bow or waist) and instructions on how to scratch build the jet blast deflectors.  I seem to recall that credit was given to the FAAM for their assistance so should be reasonably accurate.  I'm sure it could be scaled up.

A copy of the 1970 flight deck plan was put onto the web some years ago but I don't know who, where or when that was.  I saved a copy and have scanned the waist catapult area here for you.

The area marked "deck cooling planks' actually are just that, so you would need to scribe lines from the JBD's out to the serated edges on the right to represent them.

spacer.png

The complete deck plan is too large to post here (3.7MB), is your email addy still the hotmail one? If so then I'll send you the full flight deck plan.

In the meantime,  here is a set of sequence shots showing the JBD being raised.  It's fun to do it as a slide show.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mucker

Woo I have copy of the plans that Chewbacca mentioned, if you PM me your postal address Ill get a copy in the post to you (in glorious colour at no extra charge) if you would like them.

Cheers

RR (Chris)