1-48 Thunderbird 6 - Airfix Tiger Moth

The UNIT diorama has had to go into hiatus for a few days while I await some new supplies arriving so rather than just spend the time playing City of Heroes on the PC I thought I'd make a start on the next build. Since Airfix announced the 1:48 Tiger Moth I've known exactly what I wanted to build with it...

Thunderbird 6

side-view.jpg

overhead2.jpg

Please excuse the poor quality - they are screencaps from a rather poor version on YouTube, I don't own the movie as to be honest, its rubbish! I remember going to see it in the cinema as an excited 7 year old and coming away considerably underwhelmed. I think this might have been the first time I ever felt let down by a movie :) Here is a slightly better screencap that shows the Tiger moth in its pre-Thunderbird 6 livery

tiger-moth.jpg

So this is the kit, the brand new Tiger Moth in 1:48 scale from Airfix

DSC_3969.JPG

DSC_3970.JPG

The decals that come with the kit look beautifully colourful and there are of course some stunning colour schemes for this aircraft! However the one I'm doing involves some decals supplied by Jim Botaitis, aka JBOT decals, which I ordered last year when this kit was first announced. He's also where I sourced my Spectrum decals for the Angel Starfighter build last month. Here are the decals:

DSC_3971.JPG

They are ALPS printed so will need to be cut around close to the decal. This should be an interesting one, especially when I get to the rigging! :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

On the other hand, it was Gerry Anderson, so he/they, are forgiven. Though they really should have just stuck to TV.

I don't hero worship Gerry Anderson like a lot of the fans, I appreciate the productions he was in charge of but I like to share the credit for their greatness with the other members of the creative team, Derek Meddings who shaped the LOOK of the shows, Syvia who contributed so much to the characters (you can see the void left by her absence in Terrahawks and the second season of Space:1999) and all the others who contributed.  Not everything was good - Exhibit 1: Thunderbird 6 Exhibit 2: The Secret Service...

I was speaking in general, I agree with what you say above, especially Terrahawks.

From what I've read, I have the impression that Gerry Anderson was rather a complex character.

Derek Meddings and the team did a fabulous job.

• Like 1