1/72 Revell He 177 Greif, KG40 - Nuclear Torpedo Bomber - Luft '46

1/72 Revell He 177 Greif, KG40 - Nuclear Torpedo Bomber - Luft '46

He 177, GP+RH, Kampfgeschwader 40 - Fliegerführer Atlantik (Flyer Command Atlantic)

Imagine, if you will, that Germany, during the dying days of World War II, was the first to discover the atomic bomb. 

With the threat of submarine deployed nuclear suicide strikes off the coast of American cities, the War in Europe was brought to a swift and terrifying stalemate.  This allowed Germany to rebuild and re-arm itself.

Here we have the Heinkel He 177 long range nuclear capable maritime patrol bomber.  Advanced lightweight  alloys were used in the construction, improving aerodynamics and range. 

A bold red tail signified this as a nuclear weapons platform able to deliver the newly developed nuclear torpedo (2 carried).  This advanced weaponry could destroy an aircraft carrier and most of it's Battle Group with a single strike.

2 x modified and highly advanced Henschel Hs-293 were carried for BVR reconnaissance and to guide the aircraft to potential targets.

The dawning of a new age was amongst us.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers all,

Stay safe.

Phil

• Like 56

Excellent modelling, particularly as I remember this to be a difficult kit. BUT - "Imagine, if you will, that Germany, during the dying days of World War II, was the first to discover the atomic bomb" - is not the whif I would want to consider.

Fliegerführer Atlantik = Atlantic Air Command

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Excellent modelling, particularly as I remember this to be a difficult kit. BUT - "Imagine, if you will, that Germany, during the dying days of World War II, was the first to discover the atomic bomb" - is not the whif I would want to consider.

Fliegerführer Atlantik = Atlantic Air Command

Cheers, Michael

I agree Michael and thanks for the added translation (I blame Wikipedia...!!). 😉 

A superb work of art Phil.  I especially enjoyed how you posed this 177 showing off it`s fangs with the unique weapons configuration and equally impressive paint scheme.

My compliments!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1