Panzerhaubitze 2000, 1/24 scale, Scratchbuild

Gidday Steve, I've been lurking here waiting for this to be continued. It's good to see it back on the go. Next WASMEx? 😁 And do we get to see the finished man-cave/shed? Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guns and Smoke and Glue

Those of you with an eye for detail will look at the photograph below and note that this PZH currently does not have a gun attached.  Let's see if we can give this thing some teeth. 

U7vzRM5.jpg

During shed construction I came across a few products that were both new to me and potentially useful in model building. 'Gyprock Acrylic Stud Adhesive' being one such item. Here's what's inside the bucket. It's a bit like liquid nails but less stringy and much slower setting. Gram for gram it's also far cheaper.

lWuLj3C.jpg

These are the MDF / Lithoplate shield things that I made just before Christmas and that sit either side of the main armament. The pale blue paste is the 'Gyprock adhesive' that's going to hold these in place. 

A2Hg9EU.jpg

And here the same glue is being used to hold the first of eight scratch-built smoke-grenade launchers in place.  Like liquid nails this glue has the advantage of being thick and gluggy so it immediately holds the piece in the correct position and once set (about 2 hours later) the item is held as if with concrete.

OnzE0Mj.jpg

Here are the starboard smoke grenade launchers fitted.  Note that each one is on a slightly different azimuth just as on the original vehicle.

O5Hd3Gj.jpg

Moving back to the main gun I need to cut a series of slots to simulate the very complex muzzle brake arrangement on the original.

MqAxEYc.jpg

I was a bit worried about this step but with a bit of careful saw and file work it all went OK.  Ideally each slot should be deep enough to reveal the void inside the muzzle, but the copper tube I made this from is too thick for that, so instead I'm just cutting a surficial representation.

c2CuVep.jpg

Turning to the brass scrap bin I found the final ring that needs to go on the front of the breach / recoil structure.   Once again the blue glue held this in place quite nicely.

FWpj5xk.jpg

I filled the relevant void up with yet more blue glue, slotted the barrel into its final position and left the whole lot to sit overnight to really set firm.

NttAVnd.jpg

Which left this.

guyEpEZ.jpg

On the original, there is a blast bag extending from the front of the breach to the rear of the bore evacuator.  I figured that this would be best represented through the use of milliput.

d0oPCUX.jpg

Which, after a bit of 'working' and 'sculpting' seemed to work pretty well.

dM1jtRK.jpg

So here's the current state of play, albeit minus quite a few minor details that are stowed away in a tupperware box.

XoCS6Bz.jpg

The thing now has a gun and can fire smoke grenades if required.

Meanwhile, as far as I'm concerned, the urge to start spraying primer is now almost overwhelming so there's a very good chance that next post will see this whole thing go 'panzer grey'.  Should be exciting... 

Stay Safe Folks,

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 15

Gidday Steve, that gyprock adhesive looks like it could be a glue and filler all in one. Once set is it easily sanded? Probably not meant for that. I've never used it myself.

She's looking very good, now she needs the means to get where she can use her teeth - the tracks. Is there much more to do after that?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Once the wheels and the tracks go on then there’s the ‘shurzen’ to attach plus a bit more structural work at the rear and still quite a few more details including a machine gun and rear-view mirrors. Somewhere in amongst all that the thing needs paint and decals. Then I need to make a display base. So all things considered I think I’ll be working on this for at least the rest of winter. ️ 

Oh well, it's hardly the time of year for gardening outside. I can understand time-consuming small details. I've been doing that for most of the day. Carry on then. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Panzer Grey

Down here in Western Australia several of our more prominent scale modellers claim that their true birth name is 'Panzer Grey'.  Consequently at just about any meeting the words 'Panzer Grey' can be called out and someone will answer - to much mirth. :fool:This is considered 'humorous' within our small community although I don't know why. Frankly I suspect that it has something to do with us being a little isolated from the rest of the civilized world and - shall we say - short of amusement. :think:

Anyway in this post - finally - my PZH 2000 will become 'Panzer Grey' or at least Panzer’s younger brother 'Primer Grey'.

Before committing primer though I decided to enhance the draping effect on the blast bag. Previously the drapery sort of spiraled around as if  someone had taken the gun barrel and twisted it a couple of turns. Now I've re-done it to make a sort of 'baggy' 'weighted down in the middle' sort of look which is much more like the real thing.

VGI3aNU.jpg

Now to the main event! This is a brand new can of 'Panzer Grey' (Mr Surfacer 1000 in fact) just before it got applied to the hull.

jKZVYEZ.jpg

And after a good shake here's the first squirt.  You all know the deal, shake the can well, keep it well back from the target, keep it moving and apply several very light coats rather than one big one.

LSsJTX7.jpg

About 50 minutes later (including drying time) here's the result! As you can see I've also done the turret...

0l1W7Nt.jpg

and the side skirts.

6HRyVdy.jpg

All of which leaves this. A model that 'Panzer Grey' himself could have built. 👍  

z0vlrA4.jpg

Soon the wheels and tracks will go on. I fear things are about to get complex and difficult.

Best Regards,

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 15

Gidday Steve, good luck with the tracks. I thought the blast bag looked OK but what you've done to it is an improvement. And I also like that flash guard/muzzle brake/soup strainer at the end of the muzzle. Oh and get that workbench dirty - it doesn't look natural. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oh and get that workbench dirty - it doesn't look natural.

And he puts newspaper down before he sprays too :mental:

Some people will never learn

12 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I fear things are about to get complex and difficult.

Oh goody!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GMK said:

Very nice work, Steve. 

Now that PzH2000 have made their way to Ukraine, that could present a possible colour scheme?

Yes!

Plans changed accordingly! 🇺🇦 

• Like 1