Panzerhaubitze 2000, 1/24 scale, Scratchbuild

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Here's my crude rendition of them along with some hinges. 

Gidday Steve, these are anything but crude, I think they look very good. And as usual a very informative "How I did it" narrative. I used to use those blades myself decades ago when I worked exclusively with balsa, I think I should get some more. Those I bought a little while ago were for the school, and paid for from the school cleaning budget so I'll have to buy my own.

The model is coming along very well. And you've also answered another query of mine, sort of - how's the man-shed (or should I call it the BS and BBS shed) coming along?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Recently, much inspired by the work of @adolfocaetanonetto (I recommend everyone to have a look at his U-boat WIP on the maritime pages)  I've been re-evaluating the uses of card.  Here I've used some 1.5mm thick good-quality card to create a pattern to assist me in cutting MDF to exactly the right shape I need for some inserts into the turret, between the gun mantle and the turret walls. 

LOL. I'm very happy and flattered (I hppe its correct 🤔) with the quote, Bandsaw. principally with the praise coming from a modeller with your skill! 😊😊😊. I'm blush (another word learned).

In time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look the wound in the finger of the modeller, and a scalpel going to it! Perhaps, only perhaps, we have another wound????😱.

12 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Here it's being profiled to match the slope of the glacis.

lszvQ99.jpg

Great progress Steve, I’m really impressed with your mdf work - I like mdf, but only for furniture, shelves and so on! Try getting some HIPS - high impact (foam) polystyrene. I used 5mm thick stuff on my pierce arrow diorama, and it’s great. Cuts well, carves well, sands well and is polystyrene, so glues well too. Happy new year to you; though I guess you’re all done and suffering the hangover already!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Model Mate said:Happy new year to you; though I guess you’re all done and suffering the hangover already!

No hangover here. I was in bed by 9:45. A total non-event really. Anyhow, Happy new year 🥳 and I’ll see if I can find some ‘HIPS’ in 2022. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adolfocaetanonetto said:

In time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look the wound in the finger of the modeller, and a scalpel going to it! Perhaps, only perhaps, we have another wound????😱.

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yes my fingers and thumbs do take the odd hit but never anything serious.  The photo in question is somewhat posed as I needed one hand to hold the camera. 😃

Oh my gosh! A fake mounting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or... you havent the other hand because lose it when mounting! Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🙊🙈🙉🖖

Edited by adolfocaetanonetto
Correction
  • Haha 1

Just cart hing up Steve - all looking good.  Happy New Year to you, BBS and the family.  Nice use of litho plate - my dad worked in a print works for years & used to bring home used plates & try to find uses for them.  Following your advice & checking out @adolfocaetanonetto’s U-Boat.  Got to love a card build

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bar side said:

Nice use of litho plate - my dad worked in a print works for years & used to bring home used plates & try to find uses for them.
 Following your advice & checking out @adolfocaetanonetto 

Got to love a card build

Sorry about the ‘double posts’ here folks. For some reason when I quote someone I’m subsequently locked out of adding any further comment so have to make a separate post.

What I was going to say following the quote above was; I think card and lithoplate used together might be an awesome combination of two inexpensive and easy to use materials with highly complementary properties. I might  have a chance to test that out soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Might be ideal for that 1/48 scale VC-10 you just promised us! 🤪

Promised?  No that will be based on two tubes of Pringles…

81TkY+M7EUL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

just like pringles; once you’ve opened that promise you just can’t stop! 😀

Gidday, I've heard that the ultimate test of self control is to take one salted peanut from a bowl, just one. I guess the same applies to Pringles.

But who needs self control anyway? That's why we have a stash. 😁   Looking forward to seeing more progress here and with the VC-10. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bar side said:

Promised?  No that will be based on two tubes of Pringles…

81TkY+M7EUL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I'm thinking that this is about me!!!!!!!!!🙉🙈🙊. In fact, I think I should was used Pringles how the hull of my Uboat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Just as well this is on the armour pages. Showing that much of a VC-10 project on the aviation pages and then walking away would probably start a riot! 

Yes, mainly stating that the fuselage is not round but a slightly flattened oval…. 

Pringles hull U-boat?  That has potential @adolfocaetanonetto!

This was as far as the idea got about 3 years ago, but that is quite enough thread hogging, we are here to see some mobile artillery.  Did I say both my grandad and great uncle were Royal Artillery?

t0bdMZI.jpg

• Like 2

Spot the difference

Over the last week there has actually quite a bit of work done on this project, but unless you look carefully you might not see much of a difference. 

Here's where I was on New Year's eve...

oWEzBSW.jpg

and here is our PZH today.

7Oreya3.jpg

let's play spot the difference...

1.  There is now a folded barrel rest (if that's the correct term).  I've used MDF for the basic shape and lined it with evergreen card.  The brace arms are stray leftovers from a warship kit. 

2.  I have also added what I suspect is a turbo housing over the main engine hood.  It's also built with MDF but lined with lithoplate this time.

bwG9zXk.jpg

3.  This little box on the port front side of the hull is also new. I don't know what it's for but it's quite prominent and needs to be modelled. Again - MDF cut and carved to fit and then lined with lithoplate.

HFP3nSz.jpg

4. I've started constructing this prominent rack on the gun turret. I believe it is specifically designed for carrying camouflage netting.  The Rack is about 50% finished in this shot and I will definitely cover the second half of construction in the next post because I'm going to try an experiment with a new material and if it works it might be an idea worth sharing.  Maybe... :think:

zVQYsFH.jpg

5.  Two little knobbly bits scavenged off another scrap kitset have been added to the aerial fittings at the rear of the turret. These simulate the springy covered bit at the base of each aerial.

7SLQP94.jpg

So there you have it - the current state of play.  The detailing part of this project is much more prolonged than I expected, but I'm still quite enjoying it. I'm trying to not let a single day go by without adding something.  if I can maintain that I'll have this ready for WASMEx 2022 (the end of April) with no dramas. 

ccdjHO0.jpg

That's it for now.  

Stay safe folks. 

Steve

• Like 13