Panzerhaubitze 2000, 1/24 scale, Scratchbuild

Gidday Steve, I've been avidly watching this space, waiting for another update, wondering what you've been up to. These figures are very good, any chance you could make me some crew for my ships? 1/650 scale for use in both scales of ships would be good. About 500 would be sufficient for the first batch. Thanks. 😀           Or maybe not.

Seriously, your detailing on the crew figure is very good, I particularly like the scrim. If you really want to liven up the scene you could do Elvira reclining cross-legged on the turret. Or Kate Winslet. 😁 Looking forward to seeing the (military) crew in-situ.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hendie said:

I tried sculpting some faces in 1.24 scale a few years ago and the results were absolutely terrible.

So much so that I've never even considered attempting it again.

3D printing next time I presume?

24 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Steve, I've been avidly watching this space, waiting for another update, wondering what you've been up to. 

Well I have just spent a week in Albany. Time largely spent researching SS Xantho. Keep your eyes peeled on the Maritme pages there will be an update soon.

• Like 5

Scratching the crew as well! That just bloody showing off.

Now....

Tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks.....

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, will do. Any progress on the Hogwarts Express these holidays? Regards, Jeff.

Alas no. 

At the start of the holidays we bought a ‘smart’ TV so Baby Bandsaw has been otherwise occupied. 😕

Gidday Steve, Oh well, BBS is young, still time to ride her in, back to the modeling herd (so to speak. A 'Rawhide' expression I believe).

Back to your current build here, I'd be interested in a chat with you regarding some of your products/ingredients used here at the next WASMEx, assuming it goes ahead. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

It’s just a phase...🙄

I hope! 

It is (I hope)... But...

My Daughter Unit is going through the same "phase" just a few years down the line. The iPhone(s)  started, then the XBox, then the clothes and makeup...

:angry:

Sorry.            :drunk:

• Haha 2

Yes.

I too find it hard to understand why a teenage girl would be more interested in clothes, makeup, social media and video games than a wooden, 1/48 scale model of a 1930’s steam locomotive. 

• Haha 7

On 22/07/2020 at 05:23, brianthemodeller said:

Be thankful it’s only social media, clothes and makeup - my 16 year old has discovered K-pop 🥺

Hmmmm.... let’s see: 🤔

- BTS?

- Black Pink?

- K9 Thunder?

Two of the above are Korean  pop bands, the other is a Korean designed 155mm self propelled gun soon to enter service with the Australian army.

Suffice to say I have two teenage daughters & can answer this quiz with great confidence. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lack of planning

Lets see if we can get these home-made gunners into their wooden vehicle. If I achieve this it will be despite the fact that I never planned for them to be there; originally this gun was going to be 'buttoned up'.  It will also be a personal achievement for them as neither of them have any legs.  Poor sods... 

This is a view of the sort of look we are striving for - although the driver of my particular vehicle has big driving goggles and looks a bit more like a fighter pilot from a distance.

V2zdCey.jpg

First, use the plan view to scale off the opening where the driver will sit.  

vRk5Xk0.jpg

Now drill out each of the corners on the mark-up.

0MlsX8j.jpg

Drill out the intervening gaps.

oqx9iie.jpg

And start hacking into this with a chisel.  A fortunate characteristic of MDF is that it is strongly layered so each 'bit' of the chisel just lifts a layer of a few mm.  So, despite the complete lack of planning this stage actually went quite well.

9IfUkWh.jpg

Soon I had a little hidey hole for the driver.

61S9GHn.jpg

Now I had to do the same thing for the Commander. It just so happened that his position sat directly on top of a large block of balsa wood. So drilling it out was a piece of ease.

tku4Qfc.jpg

Filing it into a nice round shape was dead easy too. I'm actually starting to warm to balsa as a model-building material and am playing with the idea of using quite a bit of it on the Xantho.

mpI7Jb3.jpg

A few minutes later we have this effect...

2CiTbZO.jpg

Or if you prefer; this...

YzcbANU.jpg

I think the gun is going to look much better with a couple of soldiers in it than it would have just a slab of armoured metal.  Having to make the people at the last moment like this was definitely due to a lack of planning.  Procrastinating and delaying about making the tracks however has been a central feature of my plan since day one. Alas that phase is coming to an end.  Soon I'll have to tackle the tracks, and I'm rather short of clues on how I'm going to go about this job. 

Hmmmm....  🤔 

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 9

That looks OK but I am not sure why the Commander needs binoculars to guide the tank onto a trailer?

https://www.army-technology.com/news/lithuania-receives-first-upgraded-pzh2000-howitzers/

or how about this for a longer term project..?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dutch_army_Pzh-2000_transport.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Soon I'll have to tackle the tracks, and I'm rather short of clues on how I'm going to go about this job. 

That's why I choose tanks that have have easy to build or most hidden tracks. I've just had a look at the tracks fitted to this thing and it ain't going to be easy. You might have to simplify them.

OR

Find a friend with a 3D printer. Now, I wonder where we'd find one of those.... :think:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Both of those look great, but a C17 is 53m long and therefore 2.2m long in 1/24, so I fear there is a slight practicality issue.

16 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You might have to simplify them.

Well deduced !

1 hour ago, brianthemodeller said:

That looks OK but I am not sure why the Commander needs binoculars to guide the tank onto a trailer?

Gidday, perhaps he is very short-sighted. But seriously, I think including a few crew members gives a good idea of the size of that thing.

When I've used balsa in the past I've found varying degrees of hardness of it, it's not consistent in that respect. I haven't done anything with it of late but am considering trying ship hulls with it. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1