Hawker Hunter questions...

John Masters

From what I have read, the Mk.58 and the FGA.9 were both variants of the Mk.6.  Since I am building at 1/72nd scale, I don't need to worry about changes in avionics, or little engine details.  What I and concerned with would be exterior looks...tails, wings, nose, etc...major cosmetics.  

What, if any, were the cosmetic differences in these aircraft?  I ask because I have two older Airfix FGA.9 kits and a newer Revell Mk.6.  I want to use one for a Swiss Mk.58 and the other two for other plumage.  

So...a little knowledge please.  

--John

In terms of visible airframe differences between the F. Mk. 6 and FGA. Mk 9 the most noticeable are the brake parachute housing above the tailpipe, the ERU fairings on the upper wing surface above the outer stores pylons and the quadrant cut out of the flaps’ outboard trailing edges to clear the 230 gallon underwing tanks for which the Mk. 9 was cleared.  When these tanks were carried a sway brace was installed outboard of the pylon between, IIRC, a point on the front spar and one on the upper outboard face of the tank.

Bear in mind that many later Hunters were more long-lived than their predecessors and were subject to numerous modifications which would have affected things like antenna fit but many would not affect the overall appearance greatly.  One mod that did change the appearance of Switzerland’s Mk. 58s was a rearward extension of the Sabrinas which introduced a squared-off centre section which enabled a two camera reconnaissance pack to be carried.  Some other air forces have adopted a similar fit so check your references for your chosen subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

In terms of visible airframe differences

OK.  Many thanks Steve.  I will have to look up all these things that you mentioned because I have no idea what they mean, except for 'parachute housing'. I know what that means.  😀  

the ERU fairings

the quadrant cut out of the flaps’ outboard trailing edges

rearward extension of the Sabrinas

I'll have to see what these things are.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

quadrant cut out

So basically a piece of the aileron was removed so the flap could go up and down and not hit the big fuel tank?

Edited by John D.C. Masters

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

So basically a piece of the aileron was removed so the flap could go up and down and not hit the big fuel tank?

It was a piece of flap that was cut out, not the aileron.

41 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Both images

Thanks Pete.  That is perfect.  I wasn't able to find them on BM.  They look like easy modifications if I choose to make them.

No one thought my Sabrina joke was funny...😉

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

A couple of point on the external differences if I may. The FGA.9 did not have gun-blast deflectors fitted whereas the F.58 did. Secondly, The EJU s were not fitted on the FGA.9 until late-1966 on. I guess it depends on the period you are thinking of presenting your models.