Finnair DC-10-30

Douglas DC-10-30

Finnair, 1990s

Airfix 1/144 kit + FDcals + Nazca details

IMG_3971

Another one for the Douglas Commercials line up.

Anyone who has built this kit will know that if you build it OOB the engines hang so low that they touch the ground, so the pylon attachments were removed from the wings and the pylons themselves reduced in size. I also added some stiffeners inside the wings before assembly as the whole thing is too flimsy otherwise.

Wing surface details are of the very fine raised line type, which had to be completely removed because there were some sink marks to be filled and sanded. Just as well because Airfix marked in too many spoilers! So all wing detail was scribed in.

Why Finnair? Just because it’s a great looking old school livery. Thank you FDcal. I also used the Nazca DC-10 details sheet which I liked a lot. Much simpler than trying to engrave the cargo doors, vents, etc on the fuselage.

Paint was of course Halford’s Appliance White, with wings finished in AK Extreme Metal Polished Aluminium and Xtracrylic Dark Gull Grey and Light Aircraft Grey over Tamiya grey primer.

IMG_3954

IMG_3953

IMG_3950

IMG_3949

IMG_3948

IMG_3956

IMG_3955

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

It's a long time since I've seen a built Airfix DC-10 Chris but that's an excellent result. I agree with your liking for the Finnair livery - old-school complete with cheatline but simple and clean at the same time.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Dave G

Hi CT,

What a beautiful DC10! Who would've thought this is the old Airfix kit!

As with the previous replies I think this is a great livery, I'm planning an MD80 in these colours.

Really impressed with your wing and engine detail and weathering. Did you use the AM Polished Aluminium on the engine nacelles? It looks really good with the different shades.

Looking forward to more, what's next?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi CT,

What a beautiful DC10! Who would've thought this is the old Airfix kit!

As with the previous replies I think this is a great livery, I'm planning an MD80 in these colours.

Really impressed with your wing and engine detail and weathering. Did you use the AM Polished Aluminium on the engine nacelles? It looks really good with the different shades.

Looking forward to more, what's next?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian and thanks for your encouraging comments. The nacelles were sprayed with AK Polished Aluminium over Tamiya grey primer. The front and rear parts were then masked off and I used Daler Rowney 'Goldfinger' silver (previously called 'Rub 'N Buff') on the centre part, and polished it. The rear I painted with an aluminium / grey mix that didn't work that well but looks OK with the nacelle fitted on the wing. Looking at photos, the leading edge seemed to be darker than the rest so I just finished it with Xtracrylic Dark Gull Grey brushed on (not neatly enough really but again it looks OK from airliner distance!). Before I did all that I scribed the locations for the vortex generators on both sides so I could carefully attach them after the paintwork was finished.

Great result. I will try the polished alu over grey primer as well. It appears quite realistic. So far I have been airbrushing it over gloss black and can look a little too shiny. Like the classic Finnair livery 👍

Looks fantastic, and from an old kit too.

I'm building the Revell 747 SCA which I think began life as an Airfix offering. Now way my mediocre skills will bring it up to the standard you're showing us here.

Regards,

Vulcanfan

Thats a lovely job you have made there from a kit that has a few challenges, beautiful classic livery,  marvellous!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Cheers Michael.   

An absolute beauty.  A great, smooth finish.  Good old Halfords. With a Victor, two Valaints and a Nimrod in the stash they're going to be pretty important in my modelling.  The natural metal parts look excellent as well.  Totally agree with you regarding the old school colour scheme.  Simple and stylish.  So much nicer than many of today's garish schemes.