Execuform Model Kits

Fellow modelers,

I know is bad timing but I was on a quest to find me a set of XC-47 Floats.

I looked everywhere, no joy! A fellow modeler gave me and old e-mail address to the family that now makes 

Execuform kits. Well, guess what? I got me a pair of DC-3 Floats.

I am in no way associated with the Herril family but I wanted to share the news with you all.

I got permission from them to show you all their contact info and the list and price of the vacuform kits they

continue to produce.

I am always trying to help out model enthusiast especially when help is needed.

So I placed a large order!!!

Regards,

Walter

Houston, TX

P.S. And to think I was willing to pay $200 for a set of floats, now I got $200 worth of cool rare kits.

Vacuform Historical Aircraft Kits and Conversions

Armstron Whitworth Ensign  1938 airliner                             $52

Avro Cananda C102 Jetliner                                                         $39

Barkley-Grow T8P-1                                                                        $28

Blohom-Voss BV238                                                                        $73

Boeing XPBB-1 ‘Sea Ranger”                                                        $52

Bristol Brabazon                                                                               $86

Budd RB-1 Conestoga                                                                    $41

Canandair Argus CL-28                                                                   $56

Capelis XC-12                                                                                     $32

Columbia XJL-1 (amphibian)                                                        $23 (1/48 @ $33)

Convair XC-99 conversion                                                             $47

Convair YB-60                                                                                    $58

Curtiss SNC-1                                                                                     $23

DeHavilland/Australia DHA-3 Drover (Flying Doctor Srv)  $32

Douglas DC-4 (1/48 only)                                                              $67

Douglas DC-5                                                                                     $34

Douglas O-46                                                                                     $24

Douglas XC-47C (float and glider conversion)                       $29

Fairchild Super 71 (Canada, floats)                                            $29

Fokker F-32                                                                                         $43

General Aviation AF-15                                                                  $30

General Aviation GA-43                                                                 $26

Grumman Mallard G-73 and G-73 Turbo                                $35

Hall XPTBH-2                                                                                      $35

Hall PH-3                                                                                              $39

Northrop Alpha series                                                                    $28

Northrop YRB-49A conversion                                                    $32

Pander S.4 (3 engine mail plane)                                               $29

Saunders Roe Princess                                                                   $78

Seversky BT-8                                                                                    $23

Sikorsky VS-44A                                                                                $55

Stinson 108                                                                                         $23

Stinson SR-10/AT-19                                                                       $23

Timm N2T-1                                                                                        $23

Waco UC-72                                                                                       $23

1/72 scale; white and clear moldings, basic 3-view plans, no cast parts.

Large multi-engine aircraft and conversions in 0.06 high impact styrene.

Contact Mike Herril at [email protected] or 818-945-5807. (02-20)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite the tempting range, one must emphasize these are drape molded vacuforms (male molds) - the method which prevents any surface details, unlike the cavity molded vacuformes we all are more used to.

Furthermore, these kits do not include any decals and unlike original Execuforms from the previous century, current Herril kits do not have any injected parts. The biggest minus of current Herril kits is also complete

lack of any clear parts as well as all minor parts. This means you only got VERY basic shapes without any surface details and even soft edges and that is all!

Now having all of this in mind take another look at these prices. They are roughly comparable to much more refined kits of similar sized planes. 

Edited by MarkoZG

You are very right Marko.

The vacuform kits are male molds and lack detail.

Like I said, I have no connection the the Herril family.

But I looked for almost two years for a set of floats for my DC-3. I was going to start carving them but I hardly have enough time to build 

three or four models a year, carving floats would have taken me for ever.

Sometimes you have to buy some models while they are around. Like all them Dujin, Sharkit, Formaplane and VLE models, just to mention a few,  that I never got a chance to buy

no matter how crude they were.

Who else makes a Fairchild super 71?

And yes, look here, they can be done into incredible models.

Walter

I appreciate both, the posting of Mike Herrill vac kits, and the caveat, so nobody is mislead.

I also have no affiliation whatsoever with Execuform, nor reward or gain posting this, but I have had a helluva time building their kits.

I have known (only via Internet) Mike and Maureen for a long time, as bonafide, responsible sellers and very kind people, since I have been building Execuform kits for many years.

I think now they are retired.

The link above is one example.

There are more models made from those kits posted here:

I am sure I am missing others.

They can be turned into nice models, provided you do some modeling, not just part's assembly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed...I have just completed this Execuform Grumman Mallard. Provided you are prepared to put the effort in and you have good scratch building skills good reference drawings/photos and the ability to procure enough spare parts (like I did with this Grumman Mallard) then you can get some surprisingly rewarding results from basic shapes provided by Execuform.  The engines are resin aftermarket parts, props are cut down Airfix DC-3, mainwheels are Mach2 Convair 440 parts, Internals: pax seats are Valom Twin Pioneer resin seats, control column is Airfix Beaver etc...

49417285146_7494e0b2c2_o.jpginterior by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49417285281_f2b26d86e4_o.jpgmajor components by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49452887503_90e7202d4f_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49481642957_61d79c9179_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49484114568_8e1d1947b1_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Edited by follasha
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, follasha said:

Agreed...I have just completed this Execuform Grumman Mallard. Provided you are prepared to put the effort in and you have good scratch building skills good reference drawings/photos and the ability to procure enough spare parts (like I did with this Grumman Mallard) then you can get some surprisingly rewarding results from basic shapes provided by Execuform.  The engines are resin aftermarket parts, props are cut down Airfix DC-3, mainwheels are Mach2 Convair 440 parts, Internals: pax seats are Valom Twin Pioneer resin seats, control column is Airfix Beaver etc...

Beautiful!

Thanks for posting it.

2 hours ago, John Aero said:

You used to be able to get all sorts of parts such as props and engines for this type of kit!

I wonder where they were from John????? 

It's still a very much missed range. 

• Like 4

On 4/4/2020 at 2:59 PM, follasha said:

49417285146_7494e0b2c2_o.jpginterior by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49417285281_f2b26d86e4_o.jpgmajor components by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49452887503_90e7202d4f_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49481642957_61d79c9179_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

49484114568_8e1d1947b1_o.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Nice job! i just finish mine in 1/48 in Chalk's Ocean Airways

On 4/4/2020 at 1:19 AM, waltmertins said:

Fellow modelers,

I know is bad timing but I was on a quest to find me a set of XC-47 Floats.

I looked everywhere, no joy! A fellow modeler gave me and old e-mail address to the family that now makes 

Execuform kits. Well, guess what? I got me a pair of DC-3 Floats.

I am in no way associated with the Herril family but I wanted to share the news with you all.

I got permission from them to show you all their contact info and the list and price of the vacuform kits they

continue to produce.

I am always trying to help out model enthusiast especially when help is needed.

So I placed a large order!!!

Regards,

Walter

Houston, TX

P.S. And to think I was willing to pay $200 for a set of floats, now I got $200 worth of cool rare kits.

Vacuform Historical Aircraft Kits and Conversions

Armstron Whitworth Ensign  1938 airliner                             $52

Avro Cananda C102 Jetliner                                                         $39

Barkley-Grow T8P-1                                                                        $28

Blohom-Voss BV238                                                                        $73

Boeing XPBB-1 ‘Sea Ranger”                                                        $52

Bristol Brabazon                                                                               $86

Budd RB-1 Conestoga                                                                    $41

Canandair Argus CL-28                                                                   $56

Capelis XC-12                                                                                     $32

Columbia XJL-1 (amphibian)                                                        $23 (1/48 @ $33)

Convair XC-99 conversion                                                             $47

Convair YB-60                                                                                    $58

Curtiss SNC-1                                                                                     $23

DeHavilland/Australia DHA-3 Drover (Flying Doctor Srv)  $32

Douglas DC-4 (1/48 only)                                                              $67

Douglas DC-5                                                                                     $34

Douglas O-46                                                                                     $24

Douglas XC-47C (float and glider conversion)                       $29

Fairchild Super 71 (Canada, floats)                                            $29

Fokker F-32                                                                                         $43

General Aviation AF-15                                                                  $30

General Aviation GA-43                                                                 $26

Grumman Mallard G-73 and G-73 Turbo                                $35

Hall XPTBH-2                                                                                      $35

Hall PH-3                                                                                              $39

Northrop Alpha series                                                                    $28

Northrop YRB-49A conversion                                                    $32

Pander S.4 (3 engine mail plane)                                               $29

Saunders Roe Princess                                                                   $78

Seversky BT-8                                                                                    $23

Sikorsky VS-44A                                                                                $55

Stinson 108                                                                                         $23

Stinson SR-10/AT-19                                                                       $23

Timm N2T-1                                                                                        $23

Waco UC-72                                                                                       $23

1/72 scale; white and clear moldings, basic 3-view plans, no cast parts.

Large multi-engine aircraft and conversions in 0.06 high impact styrene.

Contact Mike Herril at [email protected] or 818-945-5807. (02-20)

Glad the mail helped Walt and nice to see they still make them on order!

Thank you for sharing!

Have fun with your  kits .

cheers, Jan

• 3 weeks later...

The kits arrived a couple days ago.

Very basic, but the plastic is thick.

I am going to get started on the XC-47

i always wanted a C-47 on floats.

The Fairchild Super 71 is incredible. As shown here, they can be made into beautiful models.

Walter

On 4/6/2020 at 3:27 PM, John Aero said:

You used to be able to get all sorts of parts such as props and engines for this type of kit!

I think the key things for that kind of upgrading  is to learn how to copy parts in resin and  have a large enough stash, to copy parts from :)

@follashaVery nice build of rare Grumman, why not post it on RFI? there is a wider audience, and it deserve larger audience for sure!

Regards

J-W