It takes a Lockdown to build a Lancaster and some other stuff!

Graham77

Evening all here is our family entry for the Lancaster build. I was planning on doing it myself but seeing as we are now all in Lockdown seemed like a good idea to get the kids involved aswell and hopefully have a Lancaster Diorama on the shelf to show what we did together during these months.

First up the kits

49730845883_e9b0781826_b.jpg

The plan from here is that the children will help with the Lanc when they want to and they will also get a vehicle or two to do themselves. Once we have got them done we’ll then put them all together on a base to make a little scene. Worst case is they don’t like it and I get loads to build best case I just get a Lanc and very quickly a lot of vehicles 🤞. Most importantly if the fun stops, we’ll find something else to do!

Interiors and the fuselage halves trial fitted, interior needs some weathering and then its ready to close up. There isn’t a whole lot to see through the windows so we’ll spend more time on the vehicles and exterior.

49731715232_1d85b0e50b_b.jpg

Let’s see what happens over the weekend and I’ll report back on Monday!

Stay indoors, stay safe and see you next week

Best wishes

Graham

• Like 13

Well done Graham. What a great idea to get the kids involved in some family fun. I might even suggest it to my kids, although didn’t expect the same enthusiasm. We’ll look forward to your next update.

Cheers and best of luck to all.. Dave 

Some more days have passed and I’ve had the team hard at work...briefly, but you have to take advantage of the enthusiasm when it occurs. I have three mini modellers and between them they are going to make most of the vehicles and bombs used in the build. For starters are our twins Eli and Ashton attacking an oil bowser and the tractor and bomb trailer. They have done awesome as it’s a lot fiddlier than I thought and they have listened really well and not yet broken anything...(we also successfully beat the carpet monster looking for a trolley wheel👍.

Checking out the bits.

49749914286_f7d5266849_b.jpg

Proficient cutters and filers

49749914281_d6f4d01f75_b.jpg

Mornings work complete, ready for some primer (so they can paint properly) and back to proper business...beating screwball scramble!

49750242672_ed98ec01d4_b.jpg

Finally I have it back from spraying the smelly primer so they can start painting. They got that technique from me😉 (note screwball scramble is never far from reach😂)

49754480881_16d64a854a_b.jpg

Next up some more progress on the Lancaster and our other son will hopefully be making a start on the recovery vehicle and crane🤔🤞

Stay Home, build models, stay safe and help the NHS

from all of us Best Wishes

• Like 8

Now Dad’s catching up with the Lancaster, tail, wings and 3 engine pods are attached.

49764549507_b2a911f052_b.jpg

Clearly Red Dwarf and Red wine are my preference over Screwball Scramble!

49764225821_b8c65cb362_b.jpg

Now to sort out the final engine pod and the seams and any damage before working out what else to attach before painting and a night of masking to protect the windows and holes🤦‍♂️😳🤯. (It is not my favourite job)

More soon

Graham and the Team

• Like 9

You are all doing a great job and it’s all coming together very well. Make sure the kids return for another session, you know how easily distracted kids (and some adults) can get. 
Cheers.. Dave

Now that is a great idea - getting the kids to do the supply/support vehicles and then using everything in a diorama.

Will try this out with my lot - with 9, 6 and 4 year olds this would give them all something to do - even if Emily decides her contribution should be pink and look like a unicorn....

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Haha 4

Ha ha, I think mine would like a unicorn in there aswell (and a dwarf and barbarian!). Mine are 10 (next week) and the early contributors are 5. It is a lot of fun although you have to just accept stuff will be broken and keep smiling (and repairing).

now I have a request, I’ve mislaid the recovery vehicle instructions....anyone know where you can download or view electronic copies? I have turned the house upside down and can only think I’ve put them in a box with some other parts I was going to use them with...that involves visiting the attic which I’ll have to do later. Anyway by asking on here I half expect to find them now sitting on my desk🤞.

See you all soon

Graham

I definitely have them, so will dig them up and scan them when I get home.  

(Slightly distracted by the arrival of newly arrived offspring #4 here in hospital at the moment.  Another daughter, so I’m expecting yet more unicorn/princess competition to my funny little hobby amongst the dynasty!)

Icarus

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Icarus said:

I definitely have them, so will dig them up and scan them when I get home.  

(Slightly distracted by the arrival of newly arrived offspring #4 here in hospital at the moment.  Another daughter, so I’m expecting yet more unicorn/princess competition to my funny little hobby amongst the dynasty!)

Icarus

Congratulations! Do not under any circumstances waste either, time with your new arrival and family or time from sleeping (oh how I remember sleep well) the link to scalemates has done the trick! Airfix used to do birds etc surely there is a market for unicorns🤷‍♂️

Vppelt68, I should have looked closer, I found that page but missed the instructions tab, you are a star...tomorrow we shall build some more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We are back with some progress. Lots more paint has been applied by the little ones and I have started playing with an airbrush (after years of it sat idol in the garage as there wasn’t time to just have a play with it and learn how to use it)

49900079478_47d5ed24a3_b.jpg

A few few more afternoons and we’ll have the tractor, bomb trolleys and some bombs ready. Then finish the bowser and a vehicle to pull it.

my eldest has made a start with some help (and being allowed to watch Star Wars)

49900269856_a37017bfbb_b.jpg

At the end of the night

49899750478_5d5ace3549_b.jpg

Unusually he really enjoyed filing off all the flash on this old kit, next up here a dusting of primer so he can start painting the inside of the cabs before adding the bodywork!

Finally the Lanc. It now has all 4 nacelles on and the resin backing plate for the Merlin. The engine itself is also slowly being put together and once I’ve masked all the glass it’ll be ready for a prime and some paint (fortunately most of the windows seem to be either blanks or painted over (phew......and after a little research also controversial)

49885284003_30ed049ac7_b.jpg

Hopefully the the next update will have some better pictures and some good progress...until then we are off to work out how to build the Titanic from Lego bricks. Hope all of you are well

Best wishes from all of us!

• Like 5

Apologies for the late reply.. great progress with both the Lanc and the youngn's Recovery set and you may has also unearthed a happy flash remover, boy could we all use one of those every now and again! Hopefully we'll see all these bits come to life before the end of this GB, which is very fast approaching. Looking really good. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The race is on with just a few days to go! I don’t think the diorama will be done but hopefully the Lancaster will. Very little added to the thread but plenty to the aircraft. First up the engine under maintenance has started construction.

49936107041_0ec887517a_b.jpg

All the glazing is masked and ready for some painting as is the rest of the Lanc. First up a random splattering of black and then some dark earth

49926481858_8c9894636f_b.jpg

Next up some blu tack worms and masking tape (other worms are available) and the the green and finally the black.

49927299057_8fd748548f_b.jpg

Finally a few coats of gloss (not quite enough as the slivering shows) and the start of decalling.

49936408202_cfef9ca2dd_b.jpg

If I can get the rest of the decals and the engine mount built tonight this may have a chance of making the gallery🤞 Then we’ll get back to the rest of the bits.

Thanks for looking

Graham

ps any top tips on sorting out slivering greatly appreciated, so far I’ve covered it in pin pricks and more micro sol which is helping. I sprayed Vallejo Airbrush paint and a few coats of Alclad gloss, I think it needed a few more or a slightly heavier final coat. This is my first proper go at spraying as opposed to brush painting after years of threatening to do it......gutted I didn’t swap sooner🤦‍♂️.

• Like 4

Lovely stuff Graham! I must get around to one of these Lancs someday. I recently did a Halifax for someone and its given me a hankering for more Bomber Command!

I see what you mean about the silvering. Yes definitily try and flood under the decal with alclad gloss. If you can before decalling any other areas use a bit more of the gloss.

Its looking very nice though!

Nick

Possibly the final update before the build comes to an end.. First up the engine is now mounted and all the decals are now on (the slivering battle still continues)

49950116506_f19c1f1369_b.jpg

Below as it’ll hopefully be posed when complete

49950115721_50a1475933_b.jpg

I still need to fit the undercarriage doors but this will be easier after I have given it another gloss coat and done some panel line detailing and weathering before a final satin coat. Then there are the kids vehicles to go and I also have a card 1/72 Hangar to pose all of this outside..... If I’m lucky you may get a shot of the panel lines and weathering I’ll see what I get time to do🤞 

see you all soon

Graham and the team.

• Like 6