Hello everyone... my first of two builds will be a Pink Mk.IX as used on the low level “Dicing” missions. I will add photo’s of the Sprues when the kit arrives tomorrow. I chose Eduards Late IXc over-trees for the build. This is hopefully what it will look like when its done. Hhb9XOZ.jpg
This will be my first Mk.IX since the late 1980’s, my first spitfire with invasion stripes, and my first ever pink model. Though i will be toning down the pink as the few photo’s i can find show it more off white/pink than true pink. If Im wrong on this please let me know before i paint this. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 19

The pink shown in that profile is definately too rich so you're right to tone it down Dennis. From what I understand PRU Pink was little more than white with a tiny touch of red added to taint it.

• Like 1

Most PRU Pinks straight out of the bottle are. I'm going to test on a mule with a 70-30 mix of VMA's Insignia White and PRU pink.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnson said:

Excellent choice Dennis. I have an Eduard Mk.IX waiting in the stash and it looks so good. What decals will you use?

I have everything I need in my spares from other sets. I wish i had the $£€ to buy new decals to use, but 30+ years of buying aftermarket and kits I've got four large binders overflowing with extras. 

10 hours ago, Col. said:

From what I understand PRU Pink was little more than white with a tiny touch of red added to taint it.

9 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Most PRU Pinks straight out of the bottle are. I'm going to test on a mule with a 70-30 mix of VMA's Insignia White and PRU pink.

My plan was to spray a base coat of white. Followed by a series of light dustings to build up the pinkish tone/color to where I'm happy with it. Of course SWMBO saw the pink paint and now wants a pink model. 🙄 So i will have to dig something out and make it hot pink. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hello everyone... Interesting bit of history here. I decided to do a bit of research and went looking for the meaning of “Dicing”. Turns out its short for “Dicing with Death” or “Dicing with the Devil” due to the dangerous gamble each mission was. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone... Interesting bit of history here. I decided to do a bit of research and went looking for the meaning of “Dicing”. Turns out its short for “Dicing with Death” or “Dicing with the Devil” due to the dangerous gamble each mission was. 

And a common term to describe something dangerous was to call it 'decidedly dicey'.

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Only thing Ive done so far is paint the inner parts. Same with the Mk.Vb as its all the same as this. RlGtF6z.jpg

Exc7zOh.jpg

XDGauIV.jpg

FchUFlu.jpg

I did assemble the seat and lower armor plate, PjhMcJP.jpg

I even managed to get the flare rack on without losing or breaking it. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello Everyone... Well I was able to assemble both cockpits today. And i even mounted the one in my Mk.Vb build. Here is the Mk.IX office, 1kET5sH.jpg

Which also got mounted into the fuselage. 

WrhIE3W.jpg

dy5NnXR.jpg

Now as I was trying to figure out which cowling was correct and wasn't sure which parts to use I built up both I found a starboard 3/4 rear view of this plane and determined it has the bulged upper cowling. Parts H1 & H2 on the tree’s if anyone needs to know that. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? I will close this up tomorrow after I take my 75 yr old mother to the Doctor.
       She went for a walk the other day as she was going stir crazy being in the house. About 1/2 mile away she fell and didn't have her cellular with her. After ten minutes and no one coming to her rescue she got up on her own and limped home. She claimed at the time she would be alright but she has been getting worse she can barely breath now and she cant walk at all without a walker. She hasn't used that since her hip surgery 4 years ago. We (family) think she broke a couple of ribs and possibly broke the socket or ball in her hip. She decided tonight to go to the Dr. and get checked out tomorrow. Of course shes terrified and thats why shes put it off till now. 

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Sorry to hear about what happened to your mum Dennis and hopefull she makes a full recovery.

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hope your mum's OK Dennis! She sounds pretty tough to have walked home like that.

Best wishes,

Thank you both, yes shes a tough one but stubborn just like me. We've both been told we could teach a Missouri mule how to be stubborn. If you don't get that expression I can explain later. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

we could teach a Missouri mule how to be stubborn.

I guess you'd better Dennis, for us limeys anyway! :D

Edited by Johnson
SNAFU

42 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I guess you'd better Dennis, for us limeys anyway! :D

Mules are known to be stubborn, but Missouri mules are supposedly the best at being stubborn. There is some thought the term precedes the American Civil war. The state of Missouri and territory of Kansas were on opposite ends of the slavery spectrum and fought quite regularly amongst themselves. Missouri being pro and Kansas against. Kansan residents would call out there neighbors in argument/debate that they were being stubborn and wouldn't budge just like mules. The Missouri residents would call the Kansan’s Jayhawkers which Im not 100% sure but has something to do with being pro union guerrillas during the war. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayhawker

Thats the best way to do it in a short way. Here is a link to more of the history. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

• Like 2

Hello everyone... well sadly my mother refused to go and I cant force her. She says shes going to rest until Monday and if shes not better then she will go. I get it shes terrified and  I have to abide by her wishes but it is still upsetting. So with extra time today I spent four hours on both the spitfires. I was able to make up the wings today then mount the wings. This is my first Eduard Spitfire and maybe what happened is my fault maybe not. However the rear area of the wing/fuselage joint fit just didnt cooperate. I had to trim massive sections of the lower cockpit walls and armor-plate/frame to get it to close ? Maybe when i mounted it it slipped down while setting ? The wings didn't want to fit along the edges of the fillet’s so I also had to sand those down quite a bit. Maybe a 1/4mm on each side, if I forced it the wings would have been flat. Oh well onto the photo’s

52nEzP1.jpg

c60euFR.jpg

The cockpit fits well or so I thought ? 

LCrJMe3.jpg

fq49RGz.jpg

I drilled out the camera port while I was at it today. d3A9DuE.jpg

And here is trouble spot one, though this may be my fault. I may have sanded the wrong angle into the fillet by accident. 

JRCxQgN.jpg

qesvnAH.jpg

4VpvlLV.jpg

And here is trouble spot number two. 

uXWEu53.jpg

Oh yes there is plenty of gluey fingerprints all over this build. 

i9ASc7Y.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts please feel free to post. 

Dennis

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nothing a little filler won't sort Dennis.

True true... Did a rough sanding and shaping on this and the Mk.Vb as well today. Tonight i will add a smidge of filler on the problem spots, and tomorrow will add the Rad’s on this. 

• Like 2