KV-1, YA vizhu protivnikov

Hey there, I found that I have too many Panther tanks and fancied something else for quite some time and not got to support local hoppy shops. Finally went for KV-1 kits.

I ordered the Tamiya kit with the ABER detail bits to get a bit more finesse into this one. The detail ootb ist good but as with many of the RC tanks not overwhelmingly. This most likely has to do with tha fact that you will handle it alot and that might damage too finely detailed models. Still I got the Trumpeter to look for some additional details to add to its´ larger brother. I plan to do texture most of the surfaces with Mr Surfacer 500 for the rough look.

Tamiya just has it how to do an appealing box. Fold up the box lid and you get to see a very nice picture together with a windowed box on all the goodies inside. I remember when I was a child and I did that for the first time in the shops, but I never had the money to afford one of these models.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Of course you can follow, glad to have you in Vaastav.

Here ist the update. Finished the lower hull on the Tamiya, now it is to do the electronics setup and then upper hull and turret.

Tamiya does a great job here, all is very well organized and te suspension feels really solid.

spacer.png

The small Trumpeter kit is nice overall, but some issues are with the hull panels and some odd gaps. That looks like it has really misshaped panels there. Quite alot of flash as well. But it is a rather cheap kit as well

spacer.png

Here is a size comparision between the Leo and the KV 1

spacer.png

• Like 7

Good afternoon. Worked on the rolled steel effect on the turret and also added some exaggerated weld lines.

spacer.png

A bit of cast texture added to the gun mount.

spacer.png

The Aber machine guns are rather nice upgrades as well and they are hollowed. But the inner diameter is really thin so they don't take the optical fibre from the kit.

Also widened and slightly textured those filled bolt hole marks. They look a bit too overdone ootb.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hello all and happy easter. Hope you are well and safe.

Got some done. The turret is almost ready now. Added bolts to the vision port covers and the indentations for the episcope mounts. Tecture all around and sanded the filled bolt holes and the weld lines down a bit. There re also 3 bolt heads per sideon the mantlet cover referenced from the Trumpeter kit that were missing in the Tamiya version. Some weld lined are needed for the hnadles now and the turret is ready for painting.

Also started adding the cable for the horn and the lamd on the hull front that was rather lackluster in the Tamiya version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The missing weldline in the hull top is marked as well, according with the Trumpeter kit there should be one in front of the hatch.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks Simon. Indeed it is big, will see where to put these guys. I'm enjoying doing models at this scale, especially the Pe is easier for me to do. The two hangers on the hull were soldered from 5 pieces and after sanding look like welded from some sturdy steel sheet. Also those cable hooks are from 1.4 mm rod and not as flimsy as the Tamiya kit parts. I will try to get pictures of kit vs aftermarket parts side by side for a good comparison.

The build is almost done now and I tried the electronics. Everything is working nicely.  With a sensitive stick movement you get almost the same kind of appearance like a real kv 1. Also gun, turret, flash and all lights working properly. Although Tamiya switched to intra hull LEDs and  optical fiber for the lights they look nice when on.

• Like 1

Hier is a quick side by side of some detail pieces. Especially the gun cleaner tube. Added a weld lune to the bottom end with styrene rod and went cheap on the threaded pieces which I bought as turned pieces from ABER instead of soldering these from 3 parts. The wing nuts went together great. I not got the hang for it. The piece is a major improvement over the featureless kit piece. Even the small trumpeter part has detailed wing nuts and bolts.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments @Bandit1250 @Carius , the ABER kit is really nice and offers some detail for this kit. The Tamiya parts are rather lackluster on a tank that doesnt habe too much sophisticated details to beginn with. ATM I am working on the saw for the fender. Pics once I am finished.

Hey there. Started painting. The hull got some Montana black Spray paint in dark green. That stuff gives some texture. So only applied that to the hull. Overall shadows on hull, wheels and turret were painted with Vallejo Camo black green. Highlights were then added with a tan colour.
I got the Life color Russian Camo set for the painting the 4BO.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This was really light green, so put the Tensochrome medium out and used the darker shades to tone down the green, after that added some gihlights by brush and put the decals on. Tamiya decals amazingly thin but very brittle. Doesnt matter as I intend to paint them over with some whitish paints anyways. Sealed them in with clear paint already.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hey there did soemthing to the wheels to try the filters. The triples of road wheels each got a different type of oil filter with two passes. The Idlers and sprokets were painted with at least two filter types in different sections.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hey there, after testing a bit what kind of shading colour I would use - Olive mixed wiht industrial earth gives a nice and deep olive color - I went for a dot applied paintjob on the turret. The end result is really to my liking. Used a pallet of 6 Abtl 502 oil piants, the lighter ones more for the upper half and the darker ones to the lower half. Paints were thinned for application with VMS oil expert enhancing medium satine.

spacer.png

Dots applied semi randomly

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now the color is much more vivid and accentuated, sompare with the 1/35th scale kit that only got the olive filter.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

I wonder if I can pull this through with the small kit ad well. At least with the large model it feels quite rewarding.

Rub it like there is no good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After doing the turret I went for the lower hull that has a much more vivid green now as well and attempted some panels on the upper deck with the focus being the engine hatches until now. More brown to the area covered by the turret together with the blueish green and yellsow and olives to the other side, adding more variety and fake shadows.

spacer.png

Today I put some more effort in the hull sides before turning to the upper hull again where I did the engine deck complete now.
The sides are now really interesting looking with a lot of green shades and some mossy appearance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way, the light yellow colour in the second picture in the tray is called "light sand", to me it looks more like pus.

• Like 2

Went ahead. Have to say , it is rather tedious, is that the right term? It takes some time to achieve nice results, but they are rather effortless and don't require too many expensive products. I can now assume how it would be possible the get some color modulation rather easiliy without an airbrush.  Went for the fender mounted boxes and gave shading towards the hull and some light towards the front. The single bis on the right fender was also coloured differently. Also went for the front a d back and achieved some interesting shadows and streaking on the run.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4