Spitfire Reference

Ducimus Camouflage and markings

Old, but still the best basic reference i know of for NW Europe,  

Scanned here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

In particular note page 7 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire/Supermarine-Spitfire-Camo-and-Marks_Page_07-960

which has the standard pattern applied nearly all Spitfires and Seafires.   In particular pay attention to the position of the fuselage and upperwing roundels, as these were factory applied, so this applies to Spitfires in other theatres so in SEAC the new roundels are centred over the old ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/home.html

This website attempts to list every Vickers-Supermarine Spitfire and Seafire aircraft built. There is no shortage of publications relating to the Spitfire,  but I am constantly struck by the number of errors in respect of serial batches recorded in books and websites, a situation that persists as details are copied from one publication to the next.
Errors and omissions in official records mean that no definitive record can be produced. However, I have carried out significant original research,  principally at the Public Records Office (now the National Archives), RAF Museum, Cambridge University library and elsewhere, in order to produce as accurate a production record as possible.
I have reconciled Supermarine records to those of the Ministry of Aircraft production,  and also produced reconciliations that identify the main errors contained in the principal Spitfire publications.
I hope that this website can provide a useful resource for enthusiasts, researchers and modellers.  No doubt many errors persist in respect of individual aircraft histories and I welcome your feedback.

Spitfire production list

Production
The Production pages detail the history of every Spitfire and Seafire built.
Production is listed in serial number order and identifies the mark, contract,  factory, engine, major squadrons and units, and fate. There is a detailed analysis by mark. The data can be downloaded either as a text file, as a compressed .zip file, or browsed on-line.

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/production.html

maybe of use for researching a specific airframe, or just out of curiosity for your project.

Also handy if you wanted to do an airframe you don't have a photo for,  as you might be able to find one from the same batch and will give you an idea of how it could appear.

since the link it is not totally obvious,  this is the abbreviations page

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/abbreviations.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

The flaps on the Spitfire were spring-loaded closed, and opened by air pressure.  When air pressure is released ("select flaps UP") they snap closed.  Standard procedure was to raise/close the flaps as soon as the actual landing was accomplished, both to prevent damage to the flaps and to prevent them from blocking airflow through the radiators.

as seen here, from a Daily inspection of a Spitfire training film, 

this shows the flap check

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Sorry but..."Morally obligated" ?

it probably needed  one of these ;)  .... dry humour doesn't always come across!  

I think this is more to do with the point that it is very very rare to see Spitfire flaps down.(and the film shows why)

One way to show them dropped is IIRC some of the Malta planes flown off carriers  had the flaps dropped, and then angled  blocks of wood put in, and the flaps raised, this then held flaps  open at a specific angle to help with the take off,  flaps then opened fully, blocks drop away and then shut again.

• Like 1

Has anyone got any pictures of early Spitfires undergoing restoration or maintenance with the engine entirely removed, I'm going to model one like that in 1/72, a Mkia. I've seen a handful of pictures like that, but the more reference material I have the better.

27 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Has anyone got any pictures of early Spitfires undergoing restoration or maintenance with the engine entirely removed, I'm going to model one like that in 1/72, a Mkia. I've seen a handful of pictures like that, but the more reference material I have the better.

a few here

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.V, with engine out at Duxford.  here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about the first ever 1/72 Spitfire kit?  Released in September 1937 as the prototype, later instructions included details for camouflage.

Skybird Spitfire

This is mine in dire need of TLC.  I guess the wartime builder tried to make it look like a Vb?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2020 at 7:09 PM, malpaso said:

This is mine in dire need of TLC.  I guess the wartime builder tried to make it look like a Vb?

That's really fantastic!

But I'd be a little bit cautious about doing any TLC. The tatty condition is age related patina and might affect its value - should it ever come up for sale as they say!