He 111H-3 1/48

Hi,

I'm on a bit of a BoB kick during our lockdown, here in sunny AZ.

The whole photo album is here;  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pVxL6xq2z6MyBP7g7

The day our LHS, Andy's Hobby Headquarters was forced to close I stopped in for supplies and noticed the ICM He 111H-3 on the shelf.  I have the Xtradecal X48087  Battle Of Britain sheet, and have used it on a Bf 109 and in progress a Bf 110 and a Stuka, so I bought the HE 111.  That'll get me my money's worth out of the Xtradecal sheet :).

Started the kit on Tuesday.  It is very nice.  good internal detail, to which I added my own scratched seat belts and cushions(!).

I have a couple of questions, if anyone could answer, that would be nice.  Google images didn't really help me with these.

1. I painted the little balls under the mgs a 'canvas' type colour.  would that be about right?  were they some type of bag?
  2. How did the crew enter the aircraft?  There doesn't seem an obvious hatch on the undersides for me to open?  
  3. The aircraft depicted (A1+BT) has the three bands on the wing and fin, and I've always seen these given as white.  Xtradecal has them in pink(!).  Can anyone comment on that?

Here is where I am so far, about to button up the fuselage. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 10

Looking good! I think that the crew entered the aircraft at the gondola. As far as I know the bands were indeed pink but I've never done a whole lot of research about that so others may know more.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, RobStewart said:

I have a couple of questions, if anyone could answer, that would be nice.  Google images didn't really help me with these.

1. I painted the little balls under the mgs a 'canvas' type colour.  would that be about right?  were they some type of bag?
  2. How did the crew enter the aircraft?  There doesn't seem an obvious hatch on the undersides for me to open?  
  3. The aircraft depicted (A1+BT) has the three bands on the wing and fin, and I've always seen these given as white.  Xtradecal has them in pink(!).  Can anyone comment on that?

The crew entered the He 111 via a hatch in the gondola under the fuselage. It's hard to come across good pictures of it, this is the best I've been able to find. My understanding is that the hatch swung up into the fuselage, hinged on the starboard side. Hope that's some help.....

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/heinkel_he111/british-he111-260-squadron-raf/

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 1

Progress has been made.  Thanks to @hopkp and @wekusta I have created the crew entry hatch, which I will pose opened as well as the hatch above the pilot and the dorsal gunner's canopy.

I've been raving about the great fit so far, but the engine/wings had me worried from the start.  Having to take it slow to bring them all together.  One wing was quite easy, but the starboard one is making me work!spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

Having seen someone else's research on this, yes, the wing stripes did have a pink hue to them. Indeed, one pic shows them as being somewhat rough in appearance,  with visible overspray on the rear of the wing where the masking for the field applied markings has ended.

• Like 1