AH-56A Cheyenne + a little extra something

Well now ...I hadn't planned for a WIP on this one, but after a friend asked me to - well here we go.

First things first: Yes! -  it actually is the 1968 Aurora 1/72 AH-56A Cheyenne! :blink2:

I bought it some years back in a hobbyshop where they had bought a lot models of a collector. This one happend to be amongst them and I paid AFAIR about 3-4 £! :blink2:

Ever since being a kid I wanted to build this kit so here is my take on it. 

I'm actually in the midst of building Airfix' great little JU-87, but while I was waiting for it to dry after being gloss-coted, this one caught my eye. :heart:

Yes - I know, it's probably sacrilege, but then again I've never bought a kit I didn't want to build, and after the fun I had with Airfix' 1/32 Buggy.....:lol:

First off is the box: spacer.png

Beautifull - isn't it? :heart:

I said to myself: "Myself! This one is going to be OOB, OK?" - but of course I didn't listen, did I? :banghead:

For starters I rebuild the cockpit as close as possible to the original as my small butterfingers would allow me to: :blush:

spacer.png

All the pieces in white are scratc built.

Then I had a go at the airvents:

spacer.png

Then some paint was in order: 

spacer.png

Oh - the seatbelts are made from Milliput and are my first attempt at this sort of doing them this way (saw a video on youtube! :D )

And here is where I'm at the moment:

spacer.png

The kit decals are quite yellowed, so they are now taped to a window awaiting some sunlight!

Now I wonder if the glosscote on the Stuka has dried? :hmmm:

Cheers for now :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 23

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Excellent work! But did you realize the kit has recently been re-released by Atlantis Models?

https://www.atlantis-models.com/preorderah-56acheyennehelicopter172atlantis.aspx

Yes - I saw that as well! :D But I had the Aurora at hand! :lol: I could use the decals though! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J 

Edited by HansReggelsen

It's tuesday and the sun is shining here in Denmark! :D

We're still in a lockdown but are allowed outside, if we keep our distance!

Anyway - some paintings been taking place. 

spacer.png

I've been doing some investigations and it turns out the Aurora kit is a bit of everything. So I've decided to build it as a representation rather than a specific plane, so it's a blend of the various prototypes. :blush:

Hope you like it anyway! :winkgrin:

Cheers and keep your distance - together! :bye:

Hans J

• Like 9

Another small update - but a timeconsuming one as masking goes! :winkgrin:

spacer.png

Then some paint:

spacer.png

And finally the unmasking:

spacer.png

Now I'll leave the paint to fully cure before giving a gloss cote!

Hans J

• Like 17

...you know how you can stare at something for hours and just not see it! :hmmm:

I've had this with the rotorhead of this kit - it is very wrong!

I had put it together and painted it, but then - and only then -  I found that it actually not resembles the original. :blush:

I have decided though to just make some adjustment to it and call it a day.

So while the rest of the kit is drying after a cote of glear gloss I made this:

spacer.png

Which ended up like this:

spacer.png

It's still not correct but I can live with this. This build is also more of an homage to the old Aurora kit. :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye: - and I hope it's OK with you! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 7

On 4/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, Gondor44 said:

This looks good. I have the Anigrand kit in my stash so will find your build usefull. Great work so far 👍

Gondor

I have had a look at the Anigrand kit over on Cybermodeller and it seems to be much more accurate than this old bird - so I'm looking forward to seeing your build! :D

Hans J

On 4/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, HansReggelsen said:

Well now ...I hadn't planned for a WIP on this one, but after a friend asked me to - well here we go.

First things first: Yes! -  it actually is the 1968 Aurora 1/72 AH-56A Cheyenne! :blink2:

I bought it some years back in a hobbyshop where they had bought a lot models of a collector. This one happend to be amongst them and I paid AFAIR about 3-4 £! :blink2:

Ever since being a kid I wanted to build this kit so here is my take on it. 

I'm actually in the midst of building Airfix' great little JU-87, but while I was waiting for it to dry after being gloss-coted, this one caught my eye. :heart:

Yes - I know, it's probably sacrilege, but then again I've never bought a kit I didn't want to build, and after the fun I had with Airfix' 1/32 Buggy.....:lol:

First off is the box: spacer.png

Beautifull - isn't it? :heart:

I said to myself: "Myself! This one is going to be OOB, OK?" - but of course I didn't listen, did I? :banghead:

For starters I rebuild the cockpit as close as possible to the original as my small butterfingers would allow me to: :blush:

spacer.png

All the pieces in white are scratc built.

Then I had a go at the airvents:

spacer.png

Then some paint was in order: 

spacer.png

Oh - the seatbelts are made from Milliput and are my first attempt at this sort of doing them this way (saw a video on youtube! :D )

And here is where I'm at the moment:

spacer.png

The kit decals are quite yellowed, so they are now taped to a window awaiting some sunlight!

Now I wonder if the glosscote on the Stuka has dried? :hmmm:

Cheers for now :bye:

Hans J

Excellent job on the Cheyenne. I did discover something that might be of use lately, I have a UV light I use to cure resin prints. For the heck of it I tried it on a set of yellowed decals. Set the timer for an hour and they came out like new. Paper curled a little so just in case I coated with clear lacquer. Otherwise slid on like a charm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

I have had a look at the Anigrand kit over on Cybermodeller and it seems to be much more accurate than this old bird - so I'm looking forward to seeing your build! :D

Hans J

Don't hold your breath

Gondor

• Haha 1

Just a short notification: I have brought this build as far as I can for now. Next up is decaling, but the kit decals were quite yellowed and are now basking in the sun.

I guess it'll take a week more or two before they're  'de-yellowed' enough for use - IF they still work! I plan on giving them a cote of decal-sealant for added strength.

So this build is on hold for now and at least a couple of weeks more.

Hope to see you then - and be carefull out there! :bye:

Hans J

• 2 weeks later...

So.... the sun is shining, the birds are singing and we're still in a lockdown, although not as severe as in other countries.

We're still allowed to take a leisure stroll if we just keep our distance, which - as a dane - isn't too difficult in the first place.

So I ought to be out in the sun....BUT - since I am a modeller - I'm not! :winkgrin:

While waiting for the Cheyenne decals to de-yellow I decided to pick up my 1/72 Airfix Stuka again which I'm doing as a RED Wüstenschlange! (I know, I know! :winkgrin: )

However the aftermarket decals are SO thin the lines between the underlaying colours can be seen. So I ordered an extra set.

spacer.png

While waiting for them I decided to take a stab at the good old Airfix 1/72 Jetstream. I'm surprised how well this goes together!  I started it last wednesday and allready it's ready for paint!

spacer.png

Only issue I had was that I lost one of the spinners and had to make one myself.

SO - now that this is ready for paint I take a looong look at my spraybooth. It's a bit cramped so I saw out a square hole in the back of it so my ventilator will fit through it. 

It now looks like this:

spacer.png

Much better! :D

So that's how I'm spending my time until the little itsy bitsy packet from the big H arrives!

Cheers - and hoping you're still all OK. :bye:

Hans J

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So - It's time this one gets wrapped up! :winkgrin:

The deyellowing of the kit decals is over - and the result is negative! In short - they're useless! Even woodglue couldn't hold them down! :o

So I only used the BU-number and the rescue arrows and the aftermarket decals for the rest - had to apply each letter individually!

It has now gotten a last cote of gloss and next up is a wash - matt cote and then some weathering (mostly to cover up all my mistakes! :whistle: )

spacer.png

Hope you like it - I just can't wait to remove the maskingtape on the canopy! :D

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Looks really good: I really love the way you've turned a very basic, old kit into something that looks like something high-end and modern. :)

Thank you for your kind comment! :thanks:  At times it' was a bit of a struggle with the decals, but all in all I'm happy with it. :D

Another childhood memory build!

I've now accentuated the panellines, so next up is a cote of matt varnish.

Hans J

I now have one of these on order which will be modified, I build What-if models mostly, so the resin kit I have will be simmilar to yours but the plastic one will be upgraded.

Gondor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This looks great :thumbsup:.... Hopefully I can find one someday ? 

Atlantis Models has just reissued the Aurora kit! :D

Hans J

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, Shalako said:

Hello Hans,

Beautiful work mate!

Which "orange red" did you use? I see you have a bottle of Revell's paint. Is this the one you used on the model?

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill

I used Revell Matt 25, but toned it down a bit with som matt red. I didn't use a specific mix-ratio - more along the lines of 'that looks good'! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Hi Hans,

thanks for your reply. I don't have the Revell 25 but, from what you say, it is a "tricky business" this colour hue!!!

I recently bought AK Interactive's Luminous Orange but, the paint's hue is quite "off" from what it should be!

Cheers

Bill