Mistercraft 1/72 Saab Draken

binbrook87

Hi everyone. Does anybody have experience of these kits at all? I can't find much in the way of info on the internet.

Are they a new kit, a reboxing of the very old Revell kit or (hopefully) the later Revell / Hasegawa offering... as they seem to have pinched the Hasegawa box art? Judging by the price I'm expecting it to be the oldie Revell 🤔

Thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Aah that's great... forgot to check the timeline on Scalemates. Blimey...1957! I may give that a miss. 😁 Cheers 👍

If it is that ancient Revell Draken then the scale is something like 1/77... nyway smaller than 1/72. Decals might be useful if they are 1/72 although box top illustration is lacking black radome of Finnish single-seat Drakens leading to suspect their accuracy.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Hi there 

Well I got a couple of them only because it was cheaper to buy the kit than get the decals

Cheers

Armando

Are the Mistercraft decals usable?

Cheers,

Andre

12 minutes ago, Filbert_Wang said:

Not sure if its of interest, but I literally got a tweet from Hasegawa today about a new J35 Draken release.

The dodgy twitter translator said that its got 2 schemes for Scandanavian countries - and released on 9th April

Hasegawa Model

Other scheme option seems to be Finland.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, Hook said:

Cheers,

Andre

I once bought their F-16A for the decals and they were pretty crappy. Rough texture, didn't conform to curves, impervious to setting solutions.

1 hour ago, sroubos said:

I once bought their F-16A for the decals and they were pretty crappy. Rough texture, didn't conform to curves, impervious to setting solutions.

I have a few of their kits to use for airbrush practice - some kits have decals that aren't too shabby, while others are utterly unusable.

So it's a little hit with a lot of miss.

Cheers,

Andre

On 4/7/2020 at 5:40 AM, Hook said:

Cheers,

Andre

To be honest I want to try them (as I also want those included on Polish Air Force F-16C Block 52)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, Giorgio N said:

Same experience as Hook here with Mastercraft decals; I found decent ones in a box of the Iskra, acceptable ones in one of their many MiG-21s and some totally useless in the Venezuelan F-16 box.

I just got the Mastercraft Mirage IIIE Heller knockoff because I was looking for Cicognes decals and the sheet didn't look too bad - qualitywise the sheet is far above average for the brand.

It's just too bad that the markings are way too small, looking more like 1/100... 

Cheers,

Andre

• Sad 1

I would say that in its own the old Revell kit is not that bad. The recessed panel lines is nice and where done 30 years before any other kit. But the better kit is the Hasegawa and the hard to get Heller kit...

http://www.internetmodeler.com/awn/97-december/draken.htm

Cheers / André 

4 hours ago, Andre B said:

I would say that in its own the old Revell kit is not that bad. The recessed panel lines is nice and where done 30 years before any other kit. But the better kit is the Hasegawa and the hard to get Heller kit...

http://www.internetmodeler.com/awn/97-december/draken.htm

Cheers / André 

"Not that bad" is somewhat relative. While recessed panel lines are a rare plus for 1957 tooling, the "bonus detail" of an airframe covered in recessed "rivets" is dubious at best (see ad nauseum discussion of recent Mirage III kits from Modelsvit, et al).  Fit of the original Revell kit is abhorrent, and the tooling is also marred by sink marks. This plus the lack of any attempt at detailing cockpit, wheel wells, etc. puts this Draken dead last on my list, even behind Airfix's effort (mediocre at best by today's standard). 

Build review of Revell Draken  (1960s boxing)

The only "plus" in any of Revell's releases is the late addition of an attempted RF-35 nose, but even for that you're better off with Heller for the Swedish recce variant and aftermarket resin for the Danish version.

2 hours ago, CT7567 said:

"Not that bad" is somewhat relative. While recessed panel lines are a rare plus for 1957 tooling, the "bonus detail" of an airframe covered in recessed "rivets" is dubious at best (see ad nauseum discussion of recent Mirage III kits from Modelsvit, et al).  Fit of the original Revell kit is abhorrent, and the tooling is also marred by sink marks. This plus the lack of any attempt at detailing cockpit, wheel wells, etc. puts this Draken dead last on my list, even behind Airfix's effort (mediocre at best by today's standard). 

Build review of Revell Draken  (1960s boxing)

The only "plus" in any of Revell's releases is the late addition of an attempted RF-35 nose, but even for that you're better off with Heller for the Swedish recce variant and aftermarket resin for the Danish version.

As I am from Sweden I built them all (concerning J-35). And seen most of what can be find on the aftermarket. And my Revell Draken didn't come with that bad fit some people talk about. I still have it. There are lot of kits of other brands that are worser. Including an rather new Spitfire from Forces of Valor...

Edited by Andre B

On 4/9/2020 at 1:29 AM, Giorgio N said:

Same experience as Hook here with Mastercraft decals; I found decent ones in a box of the Iskra, acceptable ones in one of their many MiG-21s and some totally useless in the Venezuelan F-16 box.

Hi Giorgio

I think I have one Venezuelan AF F-16 decal set in 1/72 to spare if you interested

Regards

Armando