1/48 Me 109G2 or 6 Advice needed

Max Headroom

As I am beginning to suffer from cabin fever with the enforced lock-down, thoughts turn to plastic fettling. I've had it in mind to build a quarter scale Finnish Gustav to go with my Finnish Hurricane I (nearing completion).  As I don't have an airbrush, I think I'm pretty much confined to the one of those repainted G-2's, such as this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=D93cweJP&id=96FB541F947EDAFA322EEB1ED095614C3FB5948E&thid=OIP.D93cweJPU0deRtGLBr-H8gHaBs&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.avionslegendaires.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FFinlande-Me-BF-109-2.jpg&exph=235&expw=1024&q=Finland+Me+109&simid=607986331580041761&selectedindex=9&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&sim=11

I have the transfers from this book to use and which I'll be using the Hurricane option too:

http://mmpbooks.com/shop2/camouflage-and-decals-no-4.html

So then to my question. Which kit? I'm not overly familiar with the various sub types of the Gustav, other than I know a G10 would be wrong (it's the cowling isn't it?). I'm not an over zealous rivet counter, but I don't have deep pockets either, so Tamiya's offering, unless cheap, is off limits. Looking at Hannants website, I see Eduard and Zvezda offer possible solutions, but I also see offerings from Hobbyboss, Hasegawa, Academy and Unimodel (never heard of them before!). I'm assuming that I could get a decent result from Eduard, Hasegawa and Zvezda, but how do the others stack up in comparison? I think I'm more concerned about buildability, rather than absolute accuracy - after all I'm not an expert, hence my question,  so the subtle little small lumps, bumps and access panels will be clothed in my blissful ignorance! Etched metal and resin bits wouldn't be essential, as I have very little experience in either medium.

I now place my faith in the Britmodeller Experten hive-mind!

Thanks in advance 😀

Trevor

Hello Trevor

Perhaps this thread may help:

Cheers

Jure

P.S.: Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen a photo of Finish Bf 109 G-6 in such a scheme, only G-2s. There were G-6s in similar solid colour scheme, but they were all post-war IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eduard kit gives you option to build most variations of Bf-109 G6, there are some errors in kit, like too large exhaust. And there is also old boxing from Eduard that is I think 1/50 scale if I remember correctly. During war time no G6 was in green/black camouflage. So if you want avoid mottled camo then you have limited options.

I think Tamiya is preferred option at the moment, but from old Hasegawa can built nice model.

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

Jure is right: during the war Finnish G6s carried the original paintwork (RLM 74, 75 and 76). At least one G2 was painted with overall dark grey with yellow Russian front markings (MT-222?).

Some G6s were painted with olive green and light blue after the war, but I got the impression that you wish to build a war time plane with blue swastikas and all.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Hi Trevor! G-6 MT-404 was the only G-6 to receive full Warpaint (field green, black and DN-colour) during the Continuation war. It was repainted in April -44 after an belly landing on its ferry flight from Germany to Finland! It had the early angular canopy and high metal rudder. Full yellow theater markings too, and darkened insignia base roundels. I'd go for the Zvezda kit with it, it's the most accurate 1:48 Gustav around.

There were about 8 EDIT: exactly 10! G-2:s repainted in the Warpaint before September -44. All of the "replacement" G-2:s (from -231 forward) were damaged and rebuilt former Luftwaffe planes, thus their paintwork was also more or less patched up and several of them had the later bulged wings, though their landing gear was the regular G-2 type.

But, the G-6 MT-404 is surprisingly seldom if ever modelled, go for it! It was credited four kills too, all flown by MHR warrant officer Urho Lehtovaara.

V-P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

404 - Messerschmitt not found 🤣 sorry, couldn't resist.

I would say you can't go wrong with Eduard, and I support your choice of MT-213. You can't really make a G-2 from a G-6 kit. Depending on how much you care about mask and etch, the Eduard "weekend" version puts them at the same price point as HobbyBoss (which just from a cursory glance look awful in nose shape - avoid!)

But I would also say: don't fear mottling by brush.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Sounds that on balance it’ll be a G-2. Eduard then?

Trevor

An Eduard G-2 Weekend Edition kit would be the one to go for in my opinion.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1