Airfix 1/72 Hunting Percival jet provost T.4

Hi all, 

This is my attempt at this little kit. I had a few problems along the way but persevered with it. 

The kit went together ok with only minor filling needed, and with that had to redo some of the panel lines across the nose and along the top of the fuselage, which I have not done before and am quite pleased with. Then after that I had an issue where when I was spaying the top coat, for some reason I would see the undercoat come through, even after a few coats and can still be seen mostly on the underside, hence the rubbish paint job.

I masked and painted the yellow band around the body as I didnt want to mess about trying to match the paint to the decal for the other yellow parts and still got the shade wrong haha. 

I did notice that when looking at reference pics of the real plane that airfix have missed a few details out like the probe like things(forgive my ignorance) on the underside of the wings and some ports on the top of the fuselage just behind the canopy. The Nav lights are moulded as well so had to try and paint those on as best I could.

Then came the final coat. I wanted it to look like as it does in all the reference pics I've seen, nice and clean with a nice amount of shine. I put final coat of klear on it, thought it was too much so had the bright idea to put a thin coat of w&n galleria matt coat on,  with a brush!. Bad move it went dead flat. So I've now put a couple of coats of vallejo satin on and it's the best I think I can do. Still learning and still having fun with it and it'll fit in with the rest of the fleet.

Any sugestions and comments welcome and also if anyone knows how to get the marks off of the canopy from the tape I'd love to hear them. The canopy was dipped and dried for 2 days before I maked and painted. 

Stay safe people!.

Airfix 1/72 Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.4

20200403_150018

20200403_150047

20200403_150001

20200403_145944

20200403_145931

20200403_145916

20200403_145856

20200403_145838

20200403_145814

20200403_145754

20200403_145634

20200403_145601

Edited by davebruce
Posted by mistake
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dave,

This model is very small. Studying it, I have to say, the finish is stunning.

In every aspect. Construction and the paint job.

Regards, orion

• Thanks 1

Thanks Orion, I think the camera on my phone might make it look better than it does. Although you cant see it easily, there are different tones of grey on the top and bottom. I might try and get some better pics tomorrow. 

After reading your introduction I thought I was about to see a ‘train wreck’ but that’s a terrific effort and looks really good, tape residue can be a pain, cotton bud with a bit of washing up liquid sometimes helps!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, davebruce said:

Cheers guys, perhaps I'm being to hard on myself. @Farmerboy, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. 

I would say so !.....That's a terrific build and finish on the Jet Provost T.4

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

It's a nice little kit, I really like the smooth finish you have achieved, no way would I agree that you have a 'rubbish paint job', looks very good to me.

I'm just finishing the T.3 version of this kit, all those dayglo panels on it are driving me mad!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Viking said:

It's a nice little kit, I really like the smooth finish you have achieved, no way would I agree that you have a 'rubbish paint job', looks very good to me.

I'm just finishing the T.3 version of this kit, all those dayglo panels on it are driving me mad!

Cheers

John

Cheers John, 

I look forward to seeing your T.3. Those decals seem to be a nightmare by all accounts.

On 04/04/2020 at 22:01, davebruce said:

Cheers John, 

I look forward to seeing your T.3. Those decals seem to be a nightmare by all accounts.

They are Dave, they day-glo bits don't want to fold around the leading edge, and they tend to fracture and split. I persevered though, and it is in RFI now.

The canopy on mine also had marks from the tape on it, like you say yours did. I gently rubbed it with micromesh cloth and them a coat of Johnsons kleer. That helped quite a lot.

Cheers

John