Buccaneer 208 decals and attitude indicator question

bobsyouruncle

Hi Gents,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if any aftermarket decals exist for a 208 Sqn Buccaneer in 48th scale that I might have possibly missed during searches please?

I've been looking, but Gulf War seems to be the most catered for option. The decals in my Airfix version don't appear to look useable now in that they're very faded and fragile looking. I think I can mask and paint the front 'Arrow' and possibly use the 'winged eye' decal at a pinch and with some luck, but might have to hand paint the pale blue numbers unless anyone knows a better solution?

Of course a new 48th scale kit would be very welcome.

Also, they say the only stupid question is the one you never asked.....so here goes and it's not really modelling related, just a thing I'm curious about: 

Can I ask if anyone knows why the Attitude Indicators in a lot of Buccaneer cockpit photos (also Lightnings) have three strips of velcro tape on them please?

I did wonder if it might be to attach something to cover it over and 'blind' the pilot for some training/testing purpose?

Thanks Bob.

6 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Can I ask if anyone knows why the Attitude Indicators in a lot of Buccaneer cockpit photos (also Lightnings) have three strips of velcro tape on them please?

I did wonder if it might be to attach something to cover it over and 'blind' the pilot for some training/testing purpose?

Thanks Bob.

Hello Bob!

Now that you mentioned it...those velcro strips caught my eye too.

This is pure guess but they could be for attaching items like an IAC or a list of radio frequencies or something like that. Looking at the photos it seems that there really isn't a "clear" space for such necessities except around the ADI.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Hi again. Thanks for the comments Tweaky and Antti. 

I got my answer about the Attitude Indicator Velcro today from Lightning QFI Ian Hollingworth, who I'm very grateful to, so will share it here in case anyone else was wondering?

He said that the Master Reference Gyro (MRG) runs the Attitude Indicator in both Lightning and Buccaneer

and that that the Attitude Indicator was so 'large and compelling' that it was difficult to ignore, if it was suspected that the MRG was inaccurate/had failed.

The solution was to cover the Attitude Indicator with a cloth patch (held on by the velcro, which 'worked a treat'), effectively blanking it from sight so the pilot could scan the standby instruments and concentrate on the Secondary Attitude Indicator instead.

So there we have it and I've learned something new.

Cheers Bob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With regards to the decals, your best bet would be to try and get a hold of the Aviation Workshop set (out of production for about 10 years or so) or see if anyone is willing to part with the 208 Sqn decals from the set. I have the set and book that went with them but have plans for the decals. From memory the 208 Sqn options in the set are the Red Flag desert and artic temporary schemes but the decals could be used for the standard scheme also.

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2401-2500/rev2456-ModelAlliance-MA72177/00.shtm

• Like 1

Hi

Have you managed to find that Aviation Workshop Decal sheet? if not I have a feeling I have that sheet as I purchased it for the RN subjects (1/48) only. Let me know and I will have a look later

Regards

Paul

• Like 1