HMS Roebuck (H95) 1/700 & HMS Oribi

vf143_tomcat

Seeing all the great Models in the group build persuaded me to get involved, as I have never done a group build before, any advice would be appreciated.

I decided to use the old sky wave 1/700 scale kit, that comes with 2 O& P class destroyers in . ( the kits an old one as I'm returning to the hobby after a while, and I had to start on the stash some time 🙂 ).

The plan was to do one of the models as HMS Oribi, almost straight from the box with the addition of a WEM etch set

IMG_0292

IMG_0294

A bit of research later showed that the 'R' class  was slightly longer than the proceeding O & P class ships, so one of the models was lengthened at the Bow. Otherwise the O,P,Q, and R classes were almost identical visually 

IMG_0295

deck detail cleared, and etch railing going down

IMG_0296

Now back to the day job, hopefully I will have an update soon 

• Like 9

Hi,

I built the original Skywave double set not long after it became available over here. I made 2 "O"'s OOB and there was no etch back in those days - guess that is still the case as you are using WEM generic stuff. They are nice enough kits but I knew nothing of RN paint schemes at the time so mine ended up in a plain lightish grey which is probably all wrong! They should look great in the "correct" camo scheme whatever that might be - should be some info on Jamie's Colourcoats site I expect https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-sea.

Back then the only other RN destroyer available in 1/700 was the Matchbox "K" Class though they also did the fast minelayer Ariadne. Things have improved a lot in the last few years though RN paint schemes are less well documented than USN it seems to me!

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

base level all done , then the deck could be painted 

IMG_0888

Then onto the tedious job of masking the deck ready for the deck colors 

IMG_0887

RoeBuck

and now Oribi

IMG_0957

And then the first of three coats of white for RoeBuck, I'm selecting a late war color scheme, of royal blue, black and white . While Oribi will be in western approaches white, blue and green.

IMG_0954

• Like 8

bit more work over the weekend, with main hull camouflage pastern complete,

IMG_1022

a few coats of tamiya clear lacquer were also added before the initial decals went on 

IMG_1023

another clear coat to go on top of the decals before I start oil washing them both ready for the next stage 

• Like 7